Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havokreaper View Post
Not sure where this goes sorry if in wrong forum or been suggested before.
New commander level engineer skill. "Eject warp core"
its in the show and i think would be cool the ability to eject our warp cores, the ability ejects the core and after a short time it explodes in a large radius moderate AOE dammage explosion.
as a negative side effect you lose a base ammount of system power acrosst the board for say 15 to 30 secs

what do you guys think
Your ejecting the thing that produces power for the whole ship, yes they have some fusion generators for back up power but what do you expect to do once the warp core is gone? Life Support, Low impulse? Shields and Weapons aren't going to be online.

To put it into perspective imagine the engine in your car is overheating and on fire so you eject it. Your car can no longer drive as it has no engine. It doesn't just restart after 30s.

That being said it would make an interesting start to a mission, you get a cut scene to eject the warp core than your dead in space waiting for rescue, repel a raiding party. Try and find an alternative power source. Run a Shuttle mission to get some supplies for your ship and get help. Wire the shuttles and auxillery craft into the power grid to keep life support going.

But as for a player ability it's essentially abandon ship without scuttling the ship to keep it out of enemy hands.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-10-2012, 11:57 AM
after you eject your warp core emergency power should kick in and keep some power to weapons and shield but disables buffs such as emergency power to shield or emergency power to weapons power your engines should almost be gone and power to other systems cut in half also since your running on emergency power window lighting on your ship should decrease to save energy i do believe eject warp core should have huge aoe dmg because the disavantages would be there until you die maybe 50k
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-10-2012, 12:01 PM
How about this: When the core is gone. Power to everything is minimal. Transfer everything to weapons. You can't move. But this would allow ships to be like carriers. And use shuttles to augment your ability to move. You'd have more fire power to back up people for a short time. Use ream members to keep enemy ships from going out of weapons range.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Eject warpcores? Abandon ship? Bah, to those I say Ramming Speed! Die with honor.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2012, 11:25 PM
"Abandon Ship" does this already.

You're abandoning it because you rig the warp core to blow. That blast is big and you're not just abandoning ship, you're doing a lot of damage to nearby enemy vessels. I've done it against a unimatrix before and given it the death blow (though I hate to do it -- I prefer to live).

So your wish is granted! Use abandon ship.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Ok, be aware that the warp core actually contains very little antimatter. Ejecting the core is an emergency procedure to save the ship from an uncontrolled reaction with all the fuel on board. It is NOT, repeat NOT a weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-11-2012, 08:01 PM
The impulse engines are a seperate power unit on their own. The Warp Core has no input in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
should lose all energy weapons, full impulse, emergency power to shields and most buffing abilities, but still be able to fire torps and move around on limited impulse.

then we could all sit outside your firing range and laugh at the fact that you'll be mostly useless until we kill you.

you'd be like the "none shall pass" guy on monty python after "king arthur" cut off his arms and legs.

"come back here, I'll bite your leg off"

sounds like good times for everyone else, not sure it would benefit you at all.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ok, be aware that the warp core actually contains very little antimatter. Ejecting the core is an emergency procedure to save the ship from an uncontrolled reaction with all the fuel on board. It is NOT, repeat NOT a weapon.
so, lets say i'm cooking with a frying pan when a grease fire erupts. Ejecting warp core would be like tossing the frying pan out the window the moment the grease caught fire?

back to the point; you eject the warp core as a last ditch safety measure so that your ship DOESN"T nuke itself. The only way i see this working is the moment you eject the core, 2 or 4 tugs drop out of warp, tractor you, and tow you under warp to the nearest starbase/ off the map, and yet you STILL need a respawn....

save the time, just ram the cube...
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Ok, a little engineering for you all.

There are two fuel supplies on a starship, deuterium (matter) and antimatter. They are stored outside of Engineering, and piped to the warp core in controlled streams.

They are mixed together in the Warp Core, the reaction of annihilating matter and antimatter generating energy. This energy is modulated by the dilithium crystals, then transfrerred to the ship's systems via the EPS (Electro Plasma System) conduits.

In the event of a core breach, the matter and antimatter in the core will escape into the compartment, and the uncontrolled reaction would cause the generation of energy there, instead of in the core. Even in the event the matter and antimatter streams are shut down, the amount of reactants in the core would destroy the engineering section, at least. In that event, the storage tanks would likely be ruptured, and THIS is what would destroy the ship (and cause damage to nearby ships).

In short, the amount of reactant in the core at the time of ejection would be minimal. It would not be enough to damage a ship through its shields. It is not a weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWarper
The impulse engines are a seperate power unit on their own. The Warp Core has no input in that area.
This is correct. The impulse systems on Starships are independent from the Warp Core and are controlled by their own fusion reactors and deuterium fuel supply tanks. Also all critical systems like Life Support has their own redundant backup power supply systems. Just because you jettison the core doesnt mean the ship is dead in space. We see this in canon as well with ST: Insurrection and in 5 episodes of Voyager. Sure several systems operate at a much lower capacity however.