Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Penalty for teamwork? no thanks...
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
If you want to duel - there are Plenty of avenues to do it. - i wont go into them as you should be smart enough to figure them out urself.

Now if you want carefree dueling - the answer has be arrived at before.

In jedi Outcast there was a feature where if you challenged someonem and they accepted; both got a blue aura around them and they were immune to any interference during their duel.

Of course that was a simple load it up and fight game. It was a free for all - not really team based.

That sorta system would sadly be so very exploitable in STO. It would ruin more fun than it creates. You have to think carefully about an idea before you implement it or ask for it to be implemented. Don't just think about the benefit you could gain from it - think about all the ways the swarms of douchebags who play mmos could use such an idea and turn it into yet another avenue to grief other players.

Not saying some sort of dueling feature couldnt be worked out - but it would have to be implemented very carefully. I think the war zone has it hard enough without ppl running around doing safety duels to avoid death. That's just the first exploit that came to mind.

---
My Idea.
Now - If they would have taken my idea for spectator arenas and added gladiator 1 v 1 style duels - then everyone would get what they want - with zero impact to the war zone. I think it would be great for the game itself - hell they could even add a sector to the war zone where this takes place - so ppl who just want to duel can fly over and do what they want - and the rest of the ppl who enjoy battle royales can have their usual war zone fun.

Assuming you want this to take place in the war zone.

But of course this idea will begin to manifest itself exactly one day after that company realizes it's player base knows better what to do with the pvp they live and breathe than the guys they pay, who barely get to play perhaps 10 hours a week. IF that.

So... i'm guessing Never.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-3Orionis
So, I'm not really that invested in PvP, I generally do not enjoy it and could take it or leave it, but... I had an idea and I figured I'd post it.

The thing that has always driven me away from PvP is getting ganged up on. It would just happen to me constantly when I did PvP... I couldn't tell if I was being targeted specifically, every time, or if it was simply a matter of the opposing team being organized such that they focus fired each of their opponents in turn, all five on one, and then moved on in cycle to another opponent while that one was sent to respawn limbo.

What if there was an incentive that encouraged PvP opponents to target people who target them? Here's my thought: if you fire weapons in a PvP and you aren't targeting another player who has you as their primary target, you get a short duration debuff (damage resistance, maybe). This would discourage the whole getting constantly ganged up on phenomena that drives me (and I would guess, quite a number of others) away. Furthermore, it creates a situation where you have a vested interest in matching up with one other specific opponent, mutually, so that you both avoid the debuff. The buff wouldn't stack and would go away very quickly if you stopped firing on PvPers who weren't targeting you. It wouldn't factor into PvE combat at all, whether in the main game or with respect to NPCs in PvP maps.

Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't address any actual problem? I'm not sure. I will say that my intuition tells me there's a major flaw with this idea, but I can't think of one.
Thats just the way it is. If you have no experience in pvp what so ever you will be ganked upon.
I know, it sucks, but actually this drove me to where I am now, and this goes for alot of valued PvP members in the community..

You can only learn and improve if you keep trying and trying, either you improve or you do not. And we pvp'ers really love to help with anything we can for the most part.

the main problem why only 1% of the community regularly pvp's is because of the exact same reason you do not PvP. There is only a very small fraction of people that think 'Wow this is actually much more fun than stomping some brainless NPC's" and "Wow this is way more of a challenge than this stupid PVE crap". If youre a new PVP'er you will just have to take it for granted that most other pvp'ers are just way and way better then you initially.

Isnt that the CHALLENGE? the THRILL? I cannot understand why people bail out of PVP so fast in a MMO simply because their first initial pvp encounter was a failure. Sorry if i offend you with it, its not intended. I just cannot believe that people have this attitude instead of damn, i wanna take u back no matter the cost, and he begins to train and train, and train, and finally u can **** back the guy that once ***** u when u were a noob.

THATS the whole challenge of pvp, and this is in all MMO's basically. It just requires willpower and a bit of smart sense in terms of, i want to be better then stomping some idiotically dumb Mobs. If you stay on that level, you basically end up on how a Pug Cure Elite space ends up.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfader1988
I just cannot believe that people have this attitude instead of damn, i wanna take u back no matter the cost, and he begins to train and train, and train, and finally u can **** back the guy that once ***** u when u were a noob.
That, right there, is one problem some people have with PvP.

Friendly competition and trash talk all in good fun? No problem, unless one of the players is a whiny little snot who forgets this is just a game.

Sadistic little trolls (not calling you one) preying on "noobs" because they get a kick out of dominating others and ruining their fun? Not good.

Playing PvP just to get back at somebody? Sucks the fun right out of it for some folks.

Me, for one. I don't have the time to learn to be a master at PvP and I don't have the attitude that likes to stick it to other people.

I can enjoy team-ups when there's actual teamwork involved and everybody's in it for a little friendly competition. I know from these forums that there are PvP players out there who feel this way.

If I fell in with some of those people I might actually learn to enjoy PvP in STO, but I do have this time factor issue. I can't give my teammates 100% focus until everybody else in my house is out cold asleep... and then I'm missing MY sleep. I hate to join a team knowing that I might have to drop out at any time to go take care of one of my kids. And then I am a liability instead of an asset. Don't like doing that to people who are serious about PvP.

I need to play with other guys like me who AREN'T serious about it and can appreciate nice big explosions even when it's our own ships in that fireball.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Meh. Like I said, I'm not invested in PvP. I'm starting to think there is no solution, and it really should just die. There aren't enough people who enjoy it, and there's no way to make it enjoyable for a majority of people because it is such an inherently Darwinistic motive where four losers are what it takes to make one winner. I'll just stick to cooperative gameplay, I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Could you picture the debuff hale would get. Picture a defiant with era heals :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-3Orionis
Meh. Like I said, I'm not invested in PvP. I'm starting to think there is no solution, and it really should just die. There aren't enough people who enjoy it, and there's no way to make it enjoyable for a majority of people because it is such an inherently Darwinistic motive where four losers are what it takes to make one winner. I'll just stick to cooperative gameplay, I guess.
People don't think as highly of your suggestion as you do so the obvious conclusion is that PvP should be removed? It actually takes 5 losers to make 5 winners. If people are cooperating to defeat an opponent then people should cooperate to defend a teammate.

PvP will never be for everyone.