Lt. Commander
# 11
06-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
We have a full range of Drydocks. For Utopia Planitia, I made an updated version of the Type I/II drydocks, built a type 3, and a type 4, and Denis built a new one which you'll see with Fleet Starbases, which is more 2409.

The way I rationalized it was that each type of drydock was built to service some specific set of ships. There's no rust in space, so as long as those keep working, they'll keep working on older ships within them. You're not going to fit a Galaxy Class within a Type I drydock. But similarly, you could fit 2 or 3 constitution classes within a Type 4, which is a waste. So you (starfleet) uses the newer types to update the newer types of ships, and the older types to service older types of ships.

The Sol System, admittedly, has not been updated with the newer drydocks. Again, if I can get in there at some point, I'll gladly update those and the sun.

As for showing your ship outside the windows, this is actually more difficult than it sounds. If this were a private instance, where only you existed, it wouldn't be a problem to spawn your ship out there. However, in an instance that can have 25 different people, and there's only 1 spawn point outside the window, who's ship do you show? We don't have any way that I know of, to show different people different things.

Personally, I think having the Odyssey out there is fine. Besides. . . she won't be there for much longer. . .
Thanks Tumerboy for the information, everything is making me await starbases anxiously as they look fun.

Heres an idea with player ships in dock though.
If we could perhaps have a space dock like the one at ESD then we could have a selection of ships presented and fly around them in a shuttle / work bee. This would be a similar type of system to the Hall of Monuments in GW which displays your (first 10) followers and would allow scales to be maintained perfectly with all the different shps and us.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Ice
Bull dukey, Tumerboy. I've slotted my G-X into those docks with no problem.
That's because they were way out of scale. I'm pretty sure when I made some touchups while doing UPS I made more screen accurate sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenguyver
Thanks for the info Tumerboy, i was just wondering if there are anyplans to make the drydocks functional in anyway as in my post above ? Just think the idea might be cool , but people would maybe complain about seeing damage on the ship and visiting docks to repair them . . lol
I haven't heard any plans like that. My take is that 90% of players would be seriously miffed if they had to return to drydock every time they needed a repair.

While i agree there is something cool about it, the realities of the type of game we have mean that really doesn't fly for most people.

I've tried to convince people it would be good to move the Fed Shipyard to Utopia Planitia, and no one's buying that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeissl View Post
Since the instance is rendered on each persons own computer it could be that each person sees his or her own ship there. Of course, this would require some tech-magic that would have to be implemented first.
Admittedly, I'm not a programmer. Perhaps it's doable in some way, but I have been working here for 7 years, and have never seen this done. To my knowledge, there is no way to display different entities to different players as the game stands today. Also, I like the spot to show off our ships.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
As for showing your ship outside the windows, this is actually more difficult than it sounds. If this were a private instance, where only you existed, it wouldn't be a problem to spawn your ship out there. However, in an instance that can have 25 different people, and there's only 1 spawn point outside the window, who's ship do you show? We don't have any way that I know of, to show different people different things.

Personally, I think having the Odyssey out there is fine. Besides. . . she won't be there for much longer. . .
Is there any way to do it so only you can see your ship in the dock, while another player would just see theirs? Like what Earth & Beyond did back in 2002?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
I've tried to convince people it would be good to move the Fed Shipyard to Utopia Planitia, and no one's buying that either.
I'd buy that. Not literally... But I think that would be cool!
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
No one as in players, or no one as in Cryptic/PWE? If you recall, I actually posted something along those lines a few months ago (you even posted there, to my great pleasure). I think it would make more sense. Screw ESD, I want the Fleetyard!
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Really happy to hear about the new drydocks coming.

While I don't really care about seeing *my* ship outside the windows (as I know there's a great deal of technical issues there) what I do miss is being able to look out the windows of ESD and see ships flying around all over the place. That was in-game about a year ago but was removed to fix something and then never came back. It really made the starbase feel more alive, or at least busy like you would see in any airport today. Could we please get these added back (and to the other starbases in-game)?

Quote:
I do miss Utopia Planitia (and would love to see that fully fleshed out Sol System that was mentioned back in 2010). Keep fighting the good fight!
Lt. Commander
# 17 Ahhhh Yes.....
06-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
That's because the ones in STO aren't the small versions. They're the bigger versions that can accomodate Galaxy-class ships.

Galaxy in a "normal-looking" dock

There is, of course, the McKinley type, but that's not the only version that can handle the Galaxy.

Thank you for these. Yes. I see now. Well then it would be logical to have different dry docks for different ships in Sol System PARTICULARLY if no one is buying your reasoning for moving the shipyard to Utopia Planetia. And thank you for your response. It's the second one from you in one week. It's nice to see a dev responding so frequently in these forums for a change. I appreciate your attention and effort.

-Captain Proxy-
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:

Just do what they did in 'Earth and Beyond', basically the drydock would show the players ship in it to the player, so everyone just saw thier own ship. All that happened (I worked on the emulator, so I know the code) was that when the player loaded the map for the station, it would load the presets of the players ships and place that ship at the dock entrance. So every player only saw thier own ship there, sure, you couldn't show someone your ship in the dock, but it made you feel like your ship was really at the same location as you.

The way I'd work this out is perhaps change Earth spacedock so we have the latest C-Store ship at the large windows, then show the players ship at the far pylon (where the excelsior is now). Although that could cause issues when a player change ship (although i doubt it as the instance is already created). Another possability would be to have a path around the exterior windows, then have the players ship spawn and follow that path, so when you walk about you see you ship outside (this would explain the need to beam back to your ship too).
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:

Admittedly, I'm not a programmer. Perhaps it's doable in some way, but I have been working here for 7 years, and have never seen this done. To my knowledge, there is no way to display different entities to different players as the game stands today. Also, I like the spot to show off our ships.
I'm still ****ed at the fact that after all the beautiful work you did on it that Utopia Plainita wasn't left in game as a constant map. There is so much it could be used for, and it really should be THE spot for not only going to get new ships, but also where the newest ship is displayed outside the windows which is where it is most appropriate.
______

AS far as space docks being functional like has been mentioned, unfortunately too many people are in too much of a hurry to get nowhere fast. There is still a very appropriate way to make this idea a win - win for everyone thou. It has been stated that with the fleet bases there are going to be more support facilities available around the fleet bases in the future. Sorry I don't remember exactly where I read that, but it was one of the official things, but why not simply add the free repairs to those docks? Something that is really missing from this game from an immersion stand point is being able to manually dock your ship, and it would be amazing to be able to manually guide your ship into the dock and in doing so trigger the repair window.
______

Showing a different loot box based on what player it belongs to is actually really simple programming, it's basically just detecting what player (out of a limited number of players) and then displaying the correct box with the correct graphical effect associated to it (from a limited number of boxes).

The idea of showing individual players a specific graphic such as a customized player ship outside a window would mean there would have to be a fully scaled version of every ship and every possible combination of parts. This already somewhat exists with the ship customization screen.

The problem however is that when you have or can have so many players in that room, you'll end up getting something like the glitched holo display from UPS. From what I understand even the fleet bases are going to be a single instance per fleet so the same problem would arise there as well.

Now a space dock within a fleet base instance on the other hand it could be theoretically possible to do it there. If you where able to manually dock your ship into a space dock and then beam into the space dock interior map and that map was an individual instance (think foundry map instance) then they could just detect the ship configuration and display that.
Lt. Commander
# 20 Technical point
06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
I'll miss the Odyssey in ESD. SInce most of my Federation captains are flying Odyssey variants at this point, I could at least pretend that was "my" ship there.

I'd like to make a technical point, if I may. I consider the interior dock at ESD to be the only true "dry dock" we've seen. It has doors that close, and could in theory be pressurized so that repair crews could work in a "shirt-sleeve" environment. I'd have to call the scaffolding-style docks (such as those we've seen at Utopia Planitia) we've seen "wet docks", since ships are still exposed to space.