Lt. Commander
# 1 Switch Character option
06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey Devs,

Any chance of adding a Switch Character option?

Having to log out and back in, especially with a secure password, is a tedious procedure when all you want to do is move from one character to another.

Don't know how easy this would be to implement as I don't know how data is passed between the connection/login/account/'instance' servers when a player logs in/out.

What I do know is, it would make my life much easier!

Also, another annoying feature I've found with STO is that it shows you as 'Online' to friends when you're at the character select screen.

Problem is, they can send you tells, which you cannot reply to because there is no chat interface in character select, and the tells are not displayed when you finally log into a character. Meaning you have to hit backspace to reply, and then ask the sender to resend their original message.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Been asked for many times previously....
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Dan said a few months back that it was not possible due to the engine code.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achlyssa
Dan said a few months back that it was not possible due to the engine code.
wait a minute. they wrote an engine, for multiple MMOs, that does not support switching between your characters?!
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Dan wrote that it is somthing he would like to see, and would investigate if there was anyway to incorparate it into the engine.

(At least I think it was Dan)
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Even if the game engine does not permit switching character without reloging, engine code can be modified.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talgeeze
Even if the game engine does not permit switching character without reloging, engine code can be modified.
Which takes time and expense and has to be compared against what also needs to be worked on and if it'll generate any profit for the company.