Lt. Commander
# 11
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
How about a sickbay? We don't currently have a pre-made one.

Doesn't have to be that, but if it were me, I would think along the lines of something we can't get on any Cryptic maps. For instance there aren't any astrometrics labs and I needed one for "Somewhere in Time" so I made my own.

Possible ideas, big and small:
-Ship's observation lounge. Cryptic has made one, but its not the foundry.
-A Starfleet Academy interior, maybe with classrooms and a bridge simulator! Since we can't really use the exterior for anything.
-Average Klingon's house
-Alien starship interior. Something far more alien than the generic ones we have now.
-The Lower Decks. i.e., the bowls of the player's starship.
-Astrometrics/Stellar Cartography. I've already got an entry for this one
-Federation Council Chamber. Big place for diplomatic meetings.

Those are largely interiors, or interiors that would be build on ground maps. But if you're looking for more of a ground exterior building, how about a crashed starship. That would be crazy hard to make it look good. Or maybe an orbital lift, like the one from that voyager episode!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q400
I am interested, but I have one question: what should the building be? (medical building, civilian use, etc.)
I'll answer all these questions in the official contest post that I will make later this evening.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
How about a sickbay? We don't currently have a pre-made one.

Doesn't have to be that, but if it were me, I would think along the lines of something we can't get on any Cryptic maps. For instance there aren't any astrometrics labs and I needed one for "Somewhere in Time" so I made my own.

Possible ideas, big and small:
-A Starfleet Academy interior, maybe with classrooms and a bridge simulator! Since we can't really use the exterior for anything.
-Average Klingon's house
-Alien starship interior. Something far more alien than the generic ones we have now.
-The Lower Decks. i.e., the bowls of the player's starship.
-Astrometrics/Stellar Cartography. I've already got an entry for this one
-Federation Council Chamber. Big place for diplomatic meetings.

Those are largely interiors, or interiors that would be build on ground maps. But if you're looking for more of a ground exterior building, how about a crashed starship. That would be crazy hard to make it look good. Or maybe an orbital lift, like the one from that voyager episode!
Well, I have some things I specifically need for this first contest. If it's successful, I'll consider having follow-up contests with different assets. You have some good suggestions of possible things to build.

I do think we may need to try to get some more asset sharing going with the Foundry. With the time it takes to build custom levels, I think it could benefit all of us to be able to have access to each others' efforts. It would save a lot of time if we could focus on just creating new assets instead of having to reinvent the wheel every single time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
How about a sickbay?

Crashed Ship: http://starbaseugc.com/wiki/index.php/Freighter

I have been thinking about doing an observations lounge - I can make one if you would like.

Sickbay- I have been having trouble with this one and hope to get to it soon, I know Nagorak has one in one of his missions.

All the best-
Q400
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q400
Crashed Ship: http://starbaseugc.com/wiki/index.php/Freighter

I have been thinking about doing an observations lounge - I can make one if you would like.

Sickbay- I have been having trouble with this one and hope to get to it soon, I know Nagorak has one in one of his missions.

All the best-
Q400
Yes, I have a sickbay at the end of Atlas Affair, Part 2 (ST:A Ep 3). However, I don't know how great it is. My problem when designing my levels was that I wanted to create more than say just a sickbay, but rather an entire deck, so I couldn't devote that many detail objects to each section. I had to make every object count, because I was up against the limit.

Also, every single level I created had something that just burned objects. On the sickbay level, it was the cave used in the holodeck. I had to put a ton of overlapping rocks to create the ceiling, since there is no rock ceiling (or any ceiling for that matter). On the U.S.S. Hyperion (which I actually think is one of my better efforts), I had to place a bunch of rocks outside the window to simulate the asteroid field.

With the new, higher, detail object limit that looks to be going in, I might be able to go back and touch some of these areas up. However, if anyone is interested, I can probably share the decks I created.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Here's my post on the contest: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=273938

Please let me know what you think.
Lt. Commander
# 17 Sickbay
06-15-2012, 05:48 AM
I also have a sickbay design in Spawn of Medusa II. It is not of great size, but it seems to serve the purpose well for what it was designed for. It has been built to size to fit within the interior of a cargo bay on one of the existing ship map interiors, but I imagine it could be built as a stand alone if needed with the components as all the walls of the perimeter and ceiling are added in the map.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Another good thing about sharing things like sickbays, is that it helps add continuity between ships. Federation sickbays all look the same anyway, this will help with the mmersion.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Hmm...it seems like a few people were interested when I posted this thread, but when I posted the official rules, no one responded. So, I don't know if there are too many rules, if the title is not obvious enough, or what.

Maybe an official contest is not the right way to go, and we should instead just focus on sharing our assets.