Lt. Commander
# 11
06-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Once Season 6 goes live, gaining duty officer cxp above Tier IV will also give you the ability to earn Fleet Marks for starbase construction.
^ this is a very very good idea!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosolidshoe View Post
Tranceaddict, is there any way to improve the chance of the exploration cluster chains appearing? I'm to Commander on two Fed characters now and I've only ever had one single one appear.
From what I can remember, the first one or two assignments of each chain are always availlable. "Colony Site Survey" for sure and "Establish Forward Base" possibly. You can also check your department head for Operations, he or she will give you a second chance at getting a colonial chain assignment.

On the other hand, maybe the assignemnts have level/rank requirements we are not yet aware of. (you wrote you're at Commander rank)
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Something I've been wondering about the active roster. If I fill it up with DOFFs, then decide to put replace one, will they go back into my available list or will they dissappear when they leave my active roster? For some reason that's the impression I get will happen.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
No, they go back to your available list. Though most if not all doffs do become bound when you assign them to the active roster, so you can't trade them after you remove them. They can still be used for assignments, though.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceaddict View Post
The "Recommendations" are good enough. IIRC, the system selects recommendations based on maximizing success and minimize failure ... period. It does calculate for critical or disaster. To max crits, and hence more/better stuff, you have to select DOffs with the Crit (or success) traits in green and not use DOffs with the failure and/or disaster traits in red.
I disagree. The recommendations seem to stop after a certain number of acceptable ones are tried. I almost always find officers that will do the job better when I pick them by hand. Where the Rercommended may show a Purple with no Crit traits for "Any Officer", a bit further down the list I'll see a half dozen Purples with crit traits.

If I'm in a hurry, I may not bother. If an assignment is important, I always look.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
I disagree. The recommendations seem to stop after a certain number of acceptable ones are tried. I almost always find officers that will do the job better when I pick them by hand. Where the Rercommended may show a Purple with no Crit traits for "Any Officer", a bit further down the list I'll see a half dozen Purples with crit traits.

If I'm in a hurry, I may not bother. If an assignment is important, I always look.
The recommendations are based on success only - not critical success or aggregate of the two. Most of the time it's optimal to plan for the aggregate, and in a number of specific cases (Reman prototypes, colonial support, item creation, anything that gives prisoners, titles, etc on crit) critical success is vastly preferable. There are some missions where a success may as well be a failure - you get CXP, but the real reward is in the hidden item on crit.

So, yeah. Recommendations are ok if you're just filling up quickie missions or grinding out some CXP, but if you're after the real rewards of the system, they can actually hurt you.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosolidshoe View Post
Tranceaddict, is there any way to improve the chance of the exploration cluster chains appearing? I'm to Commander on two Fed characters now and I've only ever had one single one appear.

Also, is there a more reliable way to get doffs from a certain department other than spending ludicrous amounts of EC on the exchange? I tried turning in doffs at the Academy, but I only ever get Civilians back, regardless of which department the input doffs are from.
The absolute best advice I can give you for completing the chain assignments is: join the ingame DOFFJOBS channel and seek out the DOff Jobs Tracker. These will give you the leg up on where and when assignments of all kinds are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post

The recommendations stop because the chances of success decrease with any other possible "Recommendations". By hand-picking your DOffs you can choose to maximize success or crits. Many times a failure (as with the colony assignment chains) will still clear the assignment and product CXP (Unfortunately).