Lt. Commander
I have heard it one way, I have heard it another:

I recently purchased the T5 Akira. I want to make it a torpedo boat using 3x purple projectile Doffs and 2x torps up front, with 2x DHCs and 3x turrets to fill out the rest.

Quants, or photons for optimum for STFs? I have read that nothing can beat 2 photons with three projectile doffs for damage, but then a fleetmate told me that was bunk and that I should go quantums (he also added I should use DCs not DHCs, for faster shield takedowns and to keep the shields down more, comment on this if you like).

What are your opinions? And should I use the other 2 space doff slots for reducing Tac Team CD so I only have to use 1?

EDIT: Updated to easily access information from the discussion:

With 3x Purple PWO Doffs, Quantums are going to give you your best damage, as the proc rate happens often enough to have them torps at near minimum cooldown, thus outpacing photons. With anything less than that, go with Photons, as the fire rate will outpace quantums by a fair margin, giving you higher DPS.

DMG Consoles: Unclear so far, but it seems either 3x energy of your choice 1x torp of your choice or 2x and 2x are the best options. Between those two I haven't tested yet.

Observation: The console isn't very useful, don't build around it unless you are using it for aesthetics/lore.

Build:

In terms of just weapons I set up my armitage with:

2x Tetryon DC (thats duals, not dual heavies), 2x quantums fore and 3x tetryon turrets aft. For the sake of completion on equipment, I also run 2x neutroniums, 2x field generators, 3 tetryon dmg consoles and 1 zero point. I can't remember what my third engineer console is, probably the dmg resist universal.

In terms of Boffs, I use 1x Tac Team (with two Doffs, so its like 2) 2x CRF 1; 2x HYT 1; AP:O I; AP:B III; EPtS I and II; Aux2SIF II; Hazard Emitters; TSS II. <- Any suggestions here?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
I spent a ton of time playing with this in a parser. With PWOs you will actually do more DPS overall with Photons than with quantums. Photons have a higher firing rate, but quantums can crit higher. I found that mixing torps and DHCs the best combo was 3 DHCs and one launcher.

I don't particularly like DCs. I typically open fire with Cannon Scatter Volley and Torpedo spread at ~7km. 9 out of 10 times that shreads the shield facing me, and if I crit a significant portion of hull.

I didn't start using torpedo high yield until recently. With high yield 2 launchers might be better than one.

I'd give it shot with the build you suggested. If you wanted to you can tweak it with a parser, but it's a good build either way.

I'm not sure about using one tac team. What would you use the other 2 ensign slots for?
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't know if this will impact your decision, but Tac consoles boosting photon torp damage also boost the photon torpedo point defense system.

I believe the DC vs DHC is more of a factor for shield stripping if you are making use of tetryon glider.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempur76
I don't know if this will impact your decision, but Tac consoles boosting photon torp damage also boost the photon torpedo point defense system.
Has anybody confirmed this in game yet? It seems like it was being debated in the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringram View Post
Has anybody confirmed this in game yet? It seems like it was being debated in the forums.
I would like to know that as well. I've heard it both ways, that it increases the damage output, or doesn't affect it at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-15-2012, 07:05 PM
It does according to the tooltip.
Whether that is true or not, a numbers person should check it out.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-15-2012, 08:17 PM
The inherent cooldown for both projectile types mean that you need only two Quantum to max out their fire rate where as you need three Photon.

Having three photon up front isn't bad since it let you focus on Photon type for damage boost consoles (as opposed to general kinetic/torpedo damage boost consoles) and it's helpful if you have a beam cruiser to strip the shields for you. Or have a BO on hand.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstead
The inherent cooldown for both projectile types mean that you need only two Quantum to max out their fire rate where as you need three Photon.
This is no longer true. Torpedo global cooldown is bo longer three seconds, it's one second. Therefore it'd mean you need 6 photons or 8 quantums to max out rate of fire.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-16-2012, 12:47 AM
I think 2 Photons is the most you'd want to forward mount on this ship, other wise your reducing your Cannon fire too much.

As for DOFFs I'm running 2 with 2 Photons and I'm proccing enough. If your going to run 3 DOFFs I think you can get away with Quantums.

That being said 2 with 2, and I got a ton of Torpedo's out the tubes.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-16-2012, 01:22 AM
with 1 day offical use of this ship in stf's i been using this following wep load out.
Forward 2 tet dual cannons --using for the higher proc rate over dhc
2 Photon launchers mk 11 blues.

using 3 photon consoles...

also have 3 doffs for the torp recharge ..blues cant afford purps but even with blues they fire off fast.

using Torp Spread 1 and HYT 3 .

still tinkering ...but dps looks solid.

fighting i am using is Delta's for further shield stripping. oooo aft 3 tet turrets.