Lt. Commander
# 51
06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterUK View Post
I hope when nwn is out of the door that sto finally gets their own foundry dev so they dont take foundry code from other projects which is probably not designed for a trek game but instead we get our own programming team for foundry which adds specific trek content and trek mechanics which are needed. Sick of relying on nwn foundry development for our trek game.
We do have a dev or two now. But, yeah, the disconnect between the teams will only get worse. At least we have someone who is desperately trying to rig new stuff to work with old tech. Most likely, some of the coolest new tech will be incompatible with sto.

The section 31 foundry team will move on to a different game after NW. By that point, the tech will just be so far removed that we'll be relying on our Barclay to do whatever one person can do.

But, at least we'll have someone. There was at least a year when nobody on the STO team had anything to do with the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 52
06-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The days of "making games on gut feelings" doesn't fly in today's highly competitive market - you have to know the whole picture. That does include playing the game, but without data, you're ignoring many players who don't always speak up.

True for the most part. But that "gut feelings" is also often what makes some games innovative while others are just carbon copies of other brands and/or fails to evolve within itself at a steady pace. Thats the biggest reason why 50% of the games produced in the last few years have flopped in short periods of time or has failed to outlive even the first generation MMOs (that are still here after 10+ years) even with some of the biggest IP's money can license. Every once in a while you just have to throw the metrics aside and step outside the box. Otherwise it just becomes monotony. Sure new toys come along but its "SSDD". As with all MMOs, you can't make everyone happy all the time. But with STO, the IP in which your working with allows you guys to go outside the box here and there and I'd love to see you guys capitalize more on what the prime universe offers and not be so static. Fleet Starbases is a good example of evolution and the Tholian story arc is a damn good place to start to go outside the box and be creative with so that it doesnt end up being rehashed previous episodes under a new wrapper. To give an example from the Klingon episode all the way to the Undine felt the same...do the same things over and over again. Then you guys gave us the 2800 with the spacewalk and new puzzle minigames. That was purely brilliant. It was something we havent done in any previous episodes and I enjoyed it. You guys have the talent there to keep doing things like that. Use it.

Far as the lockboxes are concerned...glad to see alternative methods. Like with the Doff cadre. At least I feel like now I'm getting something useable and worthwhile taking that chance to get a better prize. Before all you gave us was junk....pure junk. To be honest I really considered at one time of taking cardboard boxes, decorating them like lockboxes, filling them with household garbage and sending them to your office by Fed Ex with the chance that maybe one of them had a $500 gift card so you all could enjoy a free lunch and stuff on me, I dunno. But by the time you sifted through the garbage, you probably wouldnt open anymore after a while.......thats how most of us feel about them. Basically the work your guys did to add a few trinkets to the game, is more likely to get "passed" on or destroyed due to the overwhelming amount of crap we get in the process. I've destroyed a couple thousand boxes...wonder how many ships got trashed with em. In which you wonder why it was even added to begin with. So alternatives is probably the BEST thing you guys have done in this situation and I applaud you for it.
Lt. Commander
# 53
06-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Data shows that since the DOFF system was added, this has helped greatly to help players get to max rank.
I have done it on close to 3-4 characters that were empty slots being wasted away in a void to collect currencies but its sad to say I won't be doing much of anything at all in STO until there is something more to do than STF/Dilithium/Doff grinding its just not fun anymore. In a sense it feels as if I am just grinding to collect new collector items ships specifically and nothing else.
Lt. Commander
# 54
06-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
and as we move towards our 3rd Anniversary, you’ll be able to fly around an ever-expanding galaxy filled with new challenges and memorable encounters.
... along with my female tactical android, right?
Lt. Commander
# 55
06-15-2012, 07:08 PM
[sarcasm] I love the way the replacement for the easy to read and information packed Engineering Reports is a combination article that is shorter and says way less. [/sarcasm]

The old engineering reports used to make me excited to play the game and gave me hope for the future.

These in no way inspire me to want to play or make me all that interested in future development. Everything nowadays seems to yell "In between trying to suck all the cash out of you we can, we'll toss in a few new features and give hopeful phrases about the future!"
Lt. Commander
# 56
06-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
In addition to the Tholians, you’ll be seeing the return to one of our key storylines as you begin the quest to resolve one of the key conflicts happening in the game.
Ok, I'm pleased to see a return to story-driven content at end-game... but, the stories established in the lead-up to the Borg STFs have been abandoned since the STF revamp.

Any chance you're going to reinstate the retro-STFs alongside the current queued versions? I'd love to be able to run the full STFs as they were, which were very interesting story-driven content that tied up several loose ends. (Tutorial Borg, I'm looking at you!) Rewards could simply revert back to the Borg gear (as it used to be for the retro-STFs), or even 5 EDC which is the equivalent of a single Borg set-piece in the store.

And, tbh, the queued-versions lack the epic feel and the comradery that's created from doing a 1-2 hour 5-man mission.

So, all I'm saying is have both versions. More choice at end-game is good!
Lt. Commander
# 57
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
With the introductipon of fleet bases, dose this mean that the idea of terrortory control map will be coming in the future?
Lt. Commander
# 58
06-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Are you using the Duty Officer System? Data shows that since the DOFF system was added, this has helped greatly to help players get to max rank.
As much as I enjoy the Duty Officer system, it is not a viable replacement for playable storylines. Yes, it speeds you to max level (I recently played Researcher Rescue on a Vice Admiral because she leveled so fast via Duty Officers).

Now for me personally, I don't mind hitting max rank and still having all the content to do (yay for level scalable missions). However, if the Doff system was the bulk of the play experience (like it is for non-PvP KDF players), it is not all that fun. I would spend more time on my KDF characters if there was more storyline.

The Doff system cannot take the place of missions and storylines. Getting "to max level" is not a goal in itself if all it takes is to log in every once in a while and let your Doffs play the game for you. The Doff system is a neat side game, but it is not the meat of gameplay.

I've just created a new Federation character than I am going to attempt to level entirely via the Foundry -- just to slow down leveling and get to use ships from various levels. That is a negative to fast leveling via the Doff system: There is no real point in buying the mid-level ships from the C-Store because you outlevel them so fast.

I'm very glad to hear that new storylines and missions will be coming with S7.
Lt. Commander
# 59
06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Before F2P there was a lot of talk(specifically from Stormshade) about the leveling system being too fast, and people being able to fully level with 'a weekend and a pack of red bull'. Yet, you guys actually made it faster. Whats the deal with that?
It's easier (and cheaper in every way) to just hand the keys over to a Max level character and then only make repeatable/grindable content that only Max level people can do than it is to make specific story content that fits a certain level range.

Now why everything has to be a special type of mission (Event, queue, etc) instead of story missions now that all missions auto-level to the player (as do their rewards) is a mystery.

But, yeah, far less work to just pump out different versions of the same thing than it is to tell deep unique stories at any level. Which is why we'll see more events and a PvP revamp, both things can be barely touched for months at a time by devs if you add in the right lottery of gear (look at Prototype tech in STFs).

The Doff system is also super low maintenance I imagine compared to making story content for two factions over and over. One guy maybe two or three versus those same two-three people plus story/writer work and such. Which would be why it's been so robust and managed so well, only takes a few people.

Neverwinter is getting their PvE content finished over the next couple months and those guys will get shuffled back to STO slowly and as they move back to STO they'll start making missions and such...it's not a coincidence by any means that the supposed "big content" season will be hitting around the time Neverwinter launches. They finish content now. Move to STO and spend a couple months working on it as NW gets it's testing done.

Face it, like all studios they're moving resources to the game that isn't done yet so it gets pushed out the door (Neverwinter) when that finally hits we'll see what happens. In theory a smart company would get it's house in order before starting on a fourth project...then again Cryptic didn't have it's house in order (serious lack of content in both games) with two before starting on a third, what would make me think it'll be any different with three?

Based on what we're seeing, a lack of 1-18 KDF content ANY time soon the Romulans will launch with only end-game universal grinding and maybe 5 levels worth of agnostic story content.
Lt. Commander
# 60
06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Quote:
We have heard the feedback and will be making changes to how players earn the rare limited time only ships. You've already seen a big change with the DS9 DOFF Promo. We will continue to tweak these offerings (as any retailer would) so that we strike the right balance with demand.
I praise the changes I've seen so far. I really do! Congratulations to the person/persons responsible.

But I have to tell you, I am disappointed and troubled that they are staying. I hope the changes to them are massive, because as they are now, they are the absolute pits.

The "reality" of these boxes is not such a secret anymore.

They have absolutely terrible odds, they borderline gambling, they elicit the same negative behaviors actual gambling does, they are designed to fleece BOTH gold and silver players alike, they offer little to no value for the money spent. They've clearly been a P.R. nightmare, and they cheapen the whole game immensely for the player and destroy any sense of immersion.

Frankly, in my eyes, lock boxes are STOs virtual version of smack, and the lock box keys should be sold by shady NPs lurking in the shadows of Earth spacedock and the KDF first city. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's exactly how I feel.

But I don't need to tell you this. I'm sure you are well aware.
I know the company needs to make money, but seriously, I as a longtime player and good customer object to what they've done to our game, and hope that you guys can come up with more things of VALUE to offer us.

I'd GLADLY pay to play as a Romulan, Cardassian, Ferengi, or Hirogen MINI FACTION/s.
I'd GLADLY pay for a tier 5 Rhode Island, Warship Voyager, Vesta class, or Ambassador class.
I'd GLADLY pay for some of the perpetual designed ships that are throughout the game.

At this point, I'D GLADLY PAY for a CONTENT EXPANSION.

There are TONS of ways this game could loosen up my wallet MORE and stay IP appropriate, but they might involve a tad more development and maybe a bit less of a cash windfall the boxes illicit on a content starved player base, so DESPERATE, to play/experience other factions, that they will throw insane amounts of money at the "chance" of simply getting another faction's ship.