Tac xxxx
Eng xxx
Tac xxx
Sci xx

Same number of BOff abilities, more variety
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
No problem with powers, just a problem with your lack of diversity in your build. Where's the torpedoes? Why not slap a beam bank on there for target shields or beam overload?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzy
I'd suggest they give out a more defensive power. Perhaps
Rotate shield frequencies- Provides a really minor shield regeneration, redistribute, and shield resist for a few seconds.
I always thought it would be cool if we could do that thing the Equinox did in Equinox (VOY) where they dropped the shields to recharge them.
High risk maneuver with a very high reward: massive (possibly even complete) shield recharge, but if someone has HYT saved up, you're very screwed. Higher levels would reduce the time the shields are offline.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-19-2012, 12:15 AM
mount a torp launcher
OR fly a cruiser
OR go klingon
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
mount a torp launcher
OR fly a cruiser
OR go klingon
We KDF still have that layout, it's on the Raptor. Still need to figure out what to do with that 3rd Ensign slot...

-J
Commander
# 15
06-21-2012, 08:42 AM
The solutions are there, and some have been outlined already:

1. Moving a Cannon ability (or Attack Pattern) to the Ensign slot.
That's a significant potential increase in offense or versatility, so balance would be significantly affected.
I wouldn't mind personally, but you can expect much complaining if that came to pass.

2. New Tactical BOFF ability(ies).
Once again, potentially significant increase in offense or defense so unlikely.

3. Making the slot universal.
The obvious problem here is that it makes the FE completely obsolete; Cryptic is usually careful to make c-store ships superior to free ones, but not strictly superior (i.e. they can always say "Z ship is better than X ship is most ways but X ship has Y feature that Z ship doesn't"); with Universal Ensigns, they can't anymore:
The Defiant-R becomes a FE with 13% more turnrate, more inertia, 5% more Shields and a Cloak (ok, it still has less Crew, but that's hardly major).

4. Making subsystem targetting work with Cannons and Turrets.
There's no way this isn't a reasonable request and it at least gives some option for that 3rd Ensign slot.

Last edited by quiscustodiet; 06-21-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Captain
# 16
06-22-2012, 01:39 AM
My setup is, a double beam bank in the front, a beam array in the rear and a tac ensign with target subsystems weapons. You give up some frontal fire power, but you have your fighters that can compensate and next you debuff the enemy on weapon power.

It is just an idea, but I think you have the best bucks for your money.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
06-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
We KDF still have that layout, it's on the Raptor. Still need to figure out what to do with that 3rd Ensign slot...

-J
Birds of prey
Captain
# 18
06-22-2012, 06:22 AM
I had this issue for a while. I finally gave in and went DHC x3 and DBB. Running BO III for an initial attack run (pop your buffs, BLEEEM) can do mad spike damage, and then my third tac spot I have 'target engine subsystems I.'

In PvP, at least, speed = life for many ships. But can replace with other beam abilities as necessary.