Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 91
06-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
Really? Is that what you're hearing? Or are you maybe just taking that one post out of context because it suits your argument to ignore my previous posts and my blog?
Only you know what you are actually saying. Hence my use of the term 'seem.'

Quote:
Hmmn... I guess that a "yup".

I already addressed this in previous posts, but here's the short version.

Because Star Trek has a powerful legacy of being smart. NuTrek is "pew pew" stupid. Star Trek has a legacy of taking courageous stands on compelling social issues. NuTrek at best rests on the laurels of that legacy. Where Roddenberry challenged his audience, Abrams is content to let us wallow in our own self righteousness and offer us an illusion of edginess by challenging Roddenberry's audience instead of his own.

NuTrek is a betrayal of the Star Trek legacy on every level.

Star Trek is dead.
You missed my example of "Arena", I see. How was that any less 'pew pew?' Most of the ep was a running duel.

That was first season.

You say 'resting on the laurels'... so prejudice is gone from our society? This is why there are constant calls for racial profiling, why there is talk of war with Iran, why there are slurs against China over the portion of the US national debt held by Chinese nationals (which is less than most seem to think), why there is still genocide in the world..... ?

The message is no longer relevant?

How about the fruitlessness of revenge? How it doesn't resolve anything, it just results in loss?

What 'pressing social issues' do you think Gene would be tackling if he was producing Trek today?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 92
06-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
You say 'resting on the laurels'... so prejudice is gone from our society? This is why...there is talk of war with Iran.
I'm going to weigh in on this because Iran and studying Farsi have both been interests of mine for nearly 20yrs. The stand against Iran doesn't have to do with anything "racial." It has to do with them (the government controlled by Khomennei, Ahmadinejad, and their supporters) fighting a proxy war with us, and having nukes as a means to get the US, allies and everyone around them by the ballz like North Korea does in East Asia. Preventing them from having nuclear weapons isn't about being prejudice, it's about being smart.

Too bad we (the US government) weren't at least more vocal on behalf of the protesters when the Mosavi supporters took to the streets post (IMO, rigged) election 2009, then were brutally put down by the Basij and Hizbollah thugs. See Neda Agha Soltani for the face of the brutally oppressed over there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 93
06-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
I'm going to weigh in on this because Iran and studying Farsi have both been interests of mine for nearly 20yrs. The stand against Iran doesn't have to do with anything "racial." It has to do with them (the government controlled by Khomennei, Ahmadinejad, and their supporters) fighting a proxy war with us, and having nukes as a means to get the US, allies and everyone around them by the ballz like North Korea does in East Asia. Preventing them from having nuclear weapons isn't about being prejudice, it's about being smart.

Too bad we (the US government) weren't at least more vocal on behalf of the protesters when the Mosavi supporters took to the streets post (IMO, rigged) election 2009, then were brutally put down by the Basij and Hizbollah thugs. See Neda Agha Soltani for the face of the brutally oppressed over there.

1) Why are you assuming that I was talking primarily about western prejudice against Iran? There is prejudice on both sides. On all sides.

2) Do you really believe that Iran would be stupid enough to nuke the US, even if they had the weapons to do so? Or to nuke anyone, including Israel? If they wished to commit suicide on that level, their leaders would be the suicide bombers rather than the poor.

Note that is not a statement in favor of having nuclear weapons. It is a statement in favor of rationality. It is both easy and common to assume an enemy is insane. It makes them easier to dismiss. If you want to discuss that issue further though, please PM me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 94
06-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
1) Why are you assuming that I was talking primarily about western prejudice against Iran?
Because when you wrote "talk of war with Iran" it leaves little to dissuade anyone from thinking it's anything else but eluding to group of people who are against Iran, as opposed to being ambiguous about prejudice in general.


Quote:
2) Do you really believe that Iran would be stupid enough to nuke the US, even if they had the weapons to do so? Or to nuke anyone, including Israel? If they wished to commit suicide on that level, their leaders would be the suicide bombers rather than the poor.
Quote me - where did I say that?

Reread what I wrote, specifically that part about being like North Korea.


Quote:
Note that is not a statement in favor of having nuclear weapons. It is a statement in favor of rationality. It is both easy and common to assume an enemy is insane. It makes them easier to dismiss. If you want to discuss that issue further though, please PM me
The Mosavi supporters tried rationality, and look where it got them - same treatment women got when they protested against chadors and head scarves post Khomeinni.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 95
06-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Because when you wrote "talk of war with Iran" it leaves little to dissuade anyone from thinking it's anything else but eluding to group of people who are against Iran, as opposed to being ambiguous about prejudice in general.
I can see how my statement might have given the wrong impression.

Quote:
Quote me - where did I say that?

Reread what I wrote, specifically that part about being like North Korea.

The Mosavi supporters tried rationality, and look where it got them - same treatment women got when they protested against chadors and head scarves post Khomeinni.
Taking this to PMs rather than derail the thread.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.