06-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Memories DO make you smart

thats exactly what smart is
the sum of your experiences

Id rather they had replaced Jadzia with a man
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Jadzia's my choice, though that takes nothing away from Ezri by any stretch. Just I was smitten and a bit in love with Jadzia. When she was killed I was genuinely upset. I'll avoid using words like mortified and tearful. Oops. I was though

The return of Dax in the form of Ezri I found thoroughly uplifting. It stirred a lot of emotions for me after the sadness of Jadzia's death and to see the cycle begin again with Sisko having Ezri return and know him well as Dax like before, with Ben calling her Old Man like he did Jadzia, I thought was perfect and well fitting for the Dax character.

That does it. I now need to watch DS9 from beginning to end again. For exactly the 8th time.
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax

Placing the Dax simbiote in a male host might have been a very interesting twist to everything - especially considering how half the male officers felt about Jadzia. They could have played up on the akward silliness of it for all the guys like Quark and Bashere. I don't think there was any "good" way to take the actress off the show - it would have disappointing no matter how it was done to somebody somewhere. I also think that Ezri would have had a difficult transition in replacing her no matter what they had made her charactor like as well. It took me a while to get used to her position on Ds9 and her role on the show - no one would have had an easy time of filling the shoes of someone like Jadzia.
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-17-2012, 07:43 AM
If I were picking which one I'd rather serve with it would be Jadzia. If I were picking a potential date it would be Ezri.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:

That's....nonsense, in every way possible. What makes you "smart", or rather "capable at a certain task" in this context, is a combination of genetic predisposition, external environmental influences, memories, and the effects on your brain tissue of taking actions(neuroplasticity). We can see this clearly in individuals who've suffered certain types of brain damage; they have clear memories of their aptitude in a thing, but they are no longer capable of doing that thing themselves, or are not capable of doing it as well as they remember.

A joined Trill is a fusion of the symbiont, the previous hosts, and the current host; the symbiont could transfer clear memories into a new host of aptitude in a certain field or activity, but that's no guarantee the current host will have the capacity to act on those memories.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-17-2012, 01:30 PM
memorys ARE intelligence
lack of practical abilty after impairment does not reduce intelligence it merely makes you impaired (like Hawkins~)
not stupid just less efficient
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-18-2012, 06:48 PM
I would @#$% the freckles of Dax's skin!
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:

Unfortunately that would have left Kira the only female lead in the series which the producers couldn't do.
It would have made for some interesting stories though, at least they didn't make the next Dax a carbon copy of Jadzia.
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Quote:
memorys ARE intelligence
lack of practical abilty after impairment does not reduce intelligence it merely makes you impaired (like Hawkins~)
not stupid just less efficient
You're simply incorrect. Factually, you are incorrect, your statements are contrary to everything we know about the human brain and human intellect. Intelligence is a function of multiple factors, only one of which is memory.

And if you're referring to Stephen Hawking the theoretical physicist; whut? First, he is not brain damaged in the sense I was discussing, he has a motor neuron disease, and second, last time I checked his condition had not rendered him incapable of doing the things for which he is justifiably famous, his impairment is purely physical. I'm discussing people who take a blow to the head, or are in some other way brain damaged, who can clearly remember having aptitude in a certain task, but are no longer capable of doing that specific thing. The fact that this happens makes it evident that your assertion that memory=intelligence is spurious, because if those individuals still had the memories, by your rationale, they should still have been capable of performing/understanding the task, yet they are unable to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Nicole deBoer > Terry Farrel. But I would probably have preferred more time with Jadzia on the show. Or a few more seasons with Ezri. Ezri was also an opportunity to show a new facet of Dax and Trills. I think they used the time in the final season well, but it was not much time to get to know her.