Lt. Commander
# 41
03-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah that sorta sets a dangerous precedent. 300 words per entry makes it easier for them to judge all the entries, but if they're just going to disregard it then everyone is going to think they can do it as well.

Prepare for 1000 word (or more) entries in all the following contests.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Congrats! An interesting read.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Thehybrid pulled a `Kobayashi Maru' and won by changing the scenario ... and good on him or her for taking a risk of disqualification in order to fully tell his or her tale!

As someone with editorial experience, I'm guessing that Thehybrid won because his/her first three hundred words, as written, had already sold the reviewers on the entry.

It's also worth noting that in the publishing world, a "word count" will often skip over any word of less than three characters. It depends on the editorial policy in place at the publishing house.

Yes, the contest rules needed to be more clear, as to what flexibility might be afforded entrants -- but Awen has been ill of late, so it can't hurt to let her get well before demanding explanations written in blood. This will all be sorted before the next contest, without a doubt.

Lastly, I'm embarrassed by those of you who are calling for the revocation of Thehybrid's prize. Taking away Thehybrid's award will not automatically make your story any better, nor diminish what was so obviously good about his/hers.

What's done is done, as the saying goes. There will be more contests, and more beta slot prizes. Move forward, and show a little of the human grace your capable of, friends, please.

Spitefulness does no one any good, and only makes the spiteful look petty.

My opinions anyway, and I doubt they will be well-received, but I stand by them,

And again -- congrats to the winner!

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
His entry is 609 words (copied and pasted it into Word and did a word count).

I agree. I had to cut mine down a lot to get want I wanted to say in, while at the same time maintaining coherent sentences. Granted, I would have been disqualified anyway given that I didn't realize that the story needed to take place in a bar setting until after the fact. But it's got to suck for those that did everything right.
Well what can we say? Make your next entry 10 pages if you want. Seems the rules are more of a guildeline. No matter what they say next time about length, just make it as long as you need to convey what you want to say. Well, that is if you want to enter next time at all. Seems to me this was a big FU to everyone who put in time on this. I for one won't be entering another one of their rigged contests.

It's as if one person used a bicycle in a foot race. He crossed the line first and the judges just said "ah screw it he got there first, he won." Then anyone who ran the foot race and said it wasn't fair is just sucking on sour grapes.

I think this might give us a hint at the in-game "fairness" as well. Prolly be able to get away with cheating and a slap on the wrist if anything at all. I mean frankly if they won't even follow the rules they set up, why should any of us?
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
Thehybrid pulled a `Kobayashi Maru' and won by changing the scenario ... and good on him or her for taking a risk of disqualification in order to fully tell his or her tale!

As someone with editorial experience, I'm guessing that Thehybrid won because his/her first three hundred words, as written, had already sold the reviewers on the entry.

It's also worth noting that in the publishing world, a "word count" will often skip over any word of less than three characters. It depends on the editorial policy in place at the publishing house.

Yes, the contest rules needed to be more clear, as to what flexibility might be afforded entrants -- but Awen has been ill of late, so it can't hurt to let her get well before demanding explanations written in blood. This will all be sorted before the next contest, without a doubt.

Lastly, I'm embarrassed by those of you who are calling for the revocation of Thehybrid's prize. Taking away Thehybrid's award will not automatically make your story any better, nor diminish what was so obviously good about his/hers.

What's done is done, as the saying goes. There will be more contests, and more beta slot prizes. Move forward, and show a little of the human grace your capable of, friends, please.

Spitefulness does no one any good, and only makes the spiteful look petty.

My opinions anyway, and I doubt they will be well-received, but I stand by them,

And again -- congrats to the winner!

KOS
They even got to the runener up i nthe first contest so I do not see thing geting fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuichii View Post
I think this might give us a hint at the in-game "fairness" as well. Prolly be able to get away with cheating and a slap on the wrist if anything at all. I mean frankly if they won't even follow the rules they set up, why should any of us?
I played Cryptic's previous MMORPG game the entire time they ran it. Did you? I saw time and again that they played fair. It's why I stayed.

You're entitled to your opinions, you're entitled to be disappointed; you're entitled to be angry -- but this, this is just rumor-mongering based on conjecture.

One thing does not prove the other -- you're drawing false correlations, and then suggesting that your correlations are the same as proof or objective truth. They're not.

You want to be angry, be angry, but have the courage to stand up and say so. Don't insinuate things, and then claim they're true just because your anger makes you _want_ to see a connection.

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-25-2009, 02:23 AM
I like the story, it got me hooked from the get go. I felt like I was watching an episode of ds9 or something, congrats to the winner, nice read.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
I played Cryptic's previous MMORPG game the entire time they ran it. Did you? I saw time and again that they played fair. It's why I stayed.

You're entitled to your opinions, you're entitled to be disappointed; you're entitled to be angry -- but this, this is just rumor-mongering based on conjecture.

One thing does not prove the other -- you're drawing false correlations, and then suggesting that your correlations are the same as proof or objective truth. They're not.

You want to be angry, be angry, but have the courage to stand up and say so. Don't insinuate things, and then claim they're true just because your anger makes you _want_ to see a connection.

KOS
ďIf you wish to judge a man, see not how he treats his date but how he treats his waiter.Ē

Now I havenít lived with him his whole life, seen everything he has ever done, heard every thought he has ever had. However I am in entitled too, and more over, should make a judgment on him. That is just how people are.

If the Devís making the game are not going to follow their own rule here, reason suggests that they may not follow them in the future. I havenít played any of their games but what I am doing in drawing on what I have just seen them do (mind you it was stated that many Devís would vote on the winning entry).

So I say to you my adolescent counterpart (as I will not have the willpower to lower myself to address you again) who here is the angry one stomping his fists? The tone of your comments seem drawn from anger while you project the feeling onto other people through a pseudo condescending attempt to call everyone who followed the rules wrong for being upset.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-25-2009, 03:12 AM
The story was indeed a good entry and interesting read, well done to the winner, however, i'm sure there could have been many other good entries had people not had to cut masses of content in order to submit work.
As with any competition, a breach of the rules is automatic failure.

All people are asking for is an explanation from those in power. Who knows, maybe they contacted the winner and asked him/her to add content to it, as 300 words was not good enough for it? And maybe that was why we had the long wait?

I'm not coming down on either side, but a definite explanation is needed, even if it's just to appease the masses.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-25-2009, 03:41 AM
People, I wrote a comment on the first page that answered all this in advance... the entry most likely wasn't longer than 300 words in it's original version but quite hard to understand. That might suggest why CrypticAlivet had to "crack CrypticAwens back" just minutes before she released the winning entry. I think they wanted to wait for permission from the original writer to allow them to strech the original text. (They probably didn't want to change what he wrote himself and did not correct the grammar, out of writers directives, never change what someone else published...)

Anyone who has followed either Awen or Alivet on Twitter could have come to this conclusion reading their yesterday's entries and they pretty much suggest the same thing.

My entry failed the expectations of this contest because i wrote mine like the last person who won a contest. Like an enzyclopedia about the species... that is the reason I lost.
You should probably ask yourselves what mistake you made in writing your entries. Maybe your grammar was as bad as the grammar of his entry or you failed to be creative or something else.

All in all i think the winner pretty much deserves victory due to a good story.
Closed Thread