Lt. Commander
# 21
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
In the meantime, please accept my apologies and I look forward to providing you all with more game content.
Awen this is such a tough bunch of people. You would think we are competing for a million dollars or something... There will be MANY MANY ways to get into beta, including a likely massive random selection just before beta starts.

As to the last contest, II myself was a little surprised the winning entry was so long, I think many members had to cut out a lot of content from their works to get their submission down to those small 300 words, thus feeling "robbed" of a chance to share their creativity. However, I do think we can all agree that the winning person did a great job and deserves the victory.

I really hope that not all future contests will be random lottery only... but if it is necessary to stop the flaming and OMG's after every contest, I support that decision.

To those of you that are attacking Awen's position and Awen personally because of these past couple contests, you need to consider something. Awen's job is soooo much more than the occasional forum contest. She is one of our bridges to the development team. Just how much we are able to interact with Cryptic and how Cryptic treats us with pre-release content is being determined by how we interact with Awen (among others.) If you guys want us on a tight chain go ahead and keep blasting every move she makes, if you want to stay in good standing for goodness sakes guys, EASE UP@
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
If I can have honesty, it's easier to overlook mistakes.
-- Kirk

NP here, it was a good article. Thanks for being honest about it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Actually I told on myself. I'm unfailingly honest. *sigh* They are aware of what is going on completely here.

And to be fair, Nobody ever blamed the community. Because of the blacklash, I want to ensure that it doesn't happen again. I'm working on making this unit happy.
Quote:
I'm just sorry that the community couldn't come together and congratulate him as a whole. Unfortunately this affects the way we're going to do contests from now on and we won't be able to foster the creativity of this community anymore.

I'm sorry that you've taken this excitement and enjoyment and turned it into something not good.
You did blame the community.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you Awen,

Thank you for admitting the oversight, the mistake and apologising.

Very gracious of you, my faith is restored.

Apology accepted.

The issue was not the winner, or even the quality of the winning entry, it simple the non abbidance by the rules we were all following. If you state rules they must apply to all in order to maintain fairness for all participating. Otherwise you get situations like we had today.

Instead of allowing this debacle to make you lose faith and go with random competitions in future, instead use it as a learning expeience in order to encourage you not to accidentally make the same mistake in future. you have always done exemplary before, tthis was simply a hiccup, don't allow it to become anything more.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Guys, when I say lottery, I mean that we randomly choose registered users to receive the prizes. There won't be entries.

I prefer creativity contests. I like to see what you guys come up with. It gives me a nice break from reading the forums or generating content. I often laugh and spend the day smiling when I read something funny. Don't think that I don't read them and believe that you guys are super awesome. I do. But when things get out of hand, either on my part or yours, it makes the hassle much less worth the effort right? This was an honest mistake on my part and I'll defend my decision to award this winner to my last breath simply because the enjoyment factor by all was immense.

The simple truth is that not everyone is going to win these and it's probably better to make it across the board fair for everyone rather than anyone getting their feelings hurt right?
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Its good that they have opologized and admited that they made a mistake.

But please AWEN dnt let the other contests go to a LOTTERY to DECIDE the winner.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Guys, when I say lottery, I mean that we randomly choose registered users to receive the prizes. There won't be entries.
There are problems with this too, for example what if you pick a registered user that hasn't posted for months and has lost interest in the game, or one that doesn't have a computer and is following the progress through interest at work.

While it can work there have to be parameters, I'd be happy either way tbh, I won't be entering a creation competition again.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Quote:
The simple truth is that not everyone is going to win these and it's probably better to make it across the board fair for everyone rather than anyone getting their feelings hurt right?
I agree, as much as I dislike the idea of a random selection for "winners" of future contests, I would much rather we have that then unhappy people... It seems there are a good number of those at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDonte
There are problems with this too, for example what if you pick a registered user that hasn't posted for months and has lost interest in the game, or one that doesn't have a computer and is following the progress through interest at work.

While it can work there have to be parameters, I'd be happy either way tbh, I won't be entering a creation competition again.
not to forget all the people who would create hundreds of accounts in order to increase their chances...
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Agree with darthdonte, i myself was spurred to enter the competition by there being a prize of some kind on offer. Even creative people like a carrot - whats the point in randomly assigning 'prizes' to forum users?
Closed Thread