Lt. Commander
# 31
03-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Why not select random beta applicants, and have some other kind of reward for contest winners? Perhaps some special title or badge in game?
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm sorry but I have to react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STO View Post
However, I do think we can all agree that the winning person did a great job and deserves the victory.
No, the person did a stinkin' job at cutting the story to the REQUESTED length.
And he/she does not deserve the victory in the 300 word story contest. The story should have been disqualified at the very first sight. Everyone, and I mean everyone could tell at a glance that the story is too long, it was longer than the winning entry of the previous contest ffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STO View Post
I really hope that not all future contests will be random lottery only... but if it is necessary to stop the flaming and OMG's after every contest, I support that decision.
The flaming? Eh? it was a just outrage at the the obvious, humongous mistake that had occurred and the quite shocking comments from Awen that followed. Blame her, not us. The devs were wrong. They messed up.
Don't pat them on the back for their mistakes, they won't learn from it (and so they hadn't), don't support them when they are wrong and are making things worse. You will regret it later, really.

The apology came, that's good.
Doubt it's enough though.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Granted, I actually do think that random lotteries are, in the interest of fairness, the best way to go.

However, if people REALLY don't want to sacrifice creativity, such "contests" could always be relegated to games held just for fun. I mean, there's no reward for the Kobiyashi Maru segments, right? Though I realize that no winner in declared in those posts.

If a winner is declared in a contest that is just for fun, then I don't think they'd result in nearly as much animosity toward the judges and managers of such a competition when they make mistakes. Or maybe they just get something simple like a T-shirt mailed to them or some other inexhaustible reward, such that players aren't competing for a limited number of beta slots.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Guys, when I say lottery, I mean that we randomly choose registered users to receive the prizes. There won't be entries.
Man, I hope this doesn't happen! Please, take some time to reconsider...

I've really enjoyed both creating my own material AND reading what others have made! I'm admittedly a bit bitter about the entry length, but it is a GIVEN that the winner will be subjectively chosen... That's part of the game!

Personally, I really liked the idea of y'all picking your top 5 or 10 entries (Credit to Azurian?), then having a front page vote on the final winner... It's kind of hard to argue with those results, yes? Chosen by the community after having been narrowed down by you guys?

I think the front page could use that kind of shake up anyway, the votes on there are a bit dry, no offense
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Why not select random beta applicants, and have some other kind of reward for contest winners? Perhaps some special title or badge in game?
Yeah I like that. Or if an entry is extraordinariely good try to implement it in the game. For example create the race and the planet or the asteroid field or whatever the contest is about.

It would be a cool thing to win then, but it would be no biggie if someone would win who did a little bit more than the rest and overstepped the rules. I'd very much like that.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
People are people... they all make mistakes...
so I would rather see you going on as it was, having some beautiful contests were we can challenge ourselves...
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Guys, when I say lottery, I mean that we randomly choose registered users to receive the prizes. There won't be entries.

I prefer creativity contests. I like to see what you guys come up with. It gives me a nice break from reading the forums or generating content. I often laugh and spend the day smiling when I read something funny. Don't think that I don't read them and believe that you guys are super awesome. I do. But when things get out of hand, either on my part or yours, it makes the hassle much less worth the effort right? This was an honest mistake on my part and I'll defend my decision to award this winner to my last breath simply because the enjoyment factor by all was immense.

The simple truth is that not everyone is going to win these and it's probably better to make it across the board fair for everyone rather than anyone getting their feelings hurt right?
You're compounding this mistake, I mean you're not giving anything physical away - give the runner up access to the beta as well and call thehybrid's entry honorable mention and pick a new runner up.

Turning around and calling everyone bad losers is just poor.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Awen, it wasn't people were hurt because they didn't win and you seem to be misconstruing that point. People were hurt that despite a goodly portion followed the rules laid out at the ground setting, the contest entry was declared the winner yet it was clearly obvious, even without using a word counter, it was well over the 300 limit. That's like telling your contestants they can only have a go-kart to race in, but the winner came with a formula one racer and you allow it.

Yes, it's a good story, and with only a couple of exceptions, most everyone acknowledged that. However, people are upset because the rules were ignored in this case, which does cast doubt on the future rules observation the company will present to the gaming community as a whole. That's the issue at hand. Basically, if we can't trust you to stick to your guns you outline to us in crystal clear type, how can we believe you will do everything in the game in the future to keep our best interests at heart, such as preventing cheaters and so forth?
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
what silverspar said ^, especially the last bit
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
where can we see the Runners up entry?
That one was 10,000 words.
Closed Thread