Lt. Commander
# 51
03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
i sort of agree with this.

calling for someone to be fired is pretty much out of line.
Nothing is more important, enigmatic, or powerful as PR. PR makes and breaks companies. If you think someone canít be fired over a single mistake that causes bad PR look no further than Michel Phelps. Heís a living legend yet Kelloggís dropped him like a hot potato the second his bong hit showed up on the internet. Creating a bad image for company with its core constituents is what Awen has done.

To paraphrase a certain Republican Senator recently, she should come before the public like the Japanese and take a long bow. Then either quit or . . . well I donít have to finish that.
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdnova View Post
... During the Gettysburg address, the guy that was speaking before Lincoln, spoke for TWO HOURS, and yet no one remembers his name, Lincoln spoke for 45 minutes and that speech was what touched American so much that its still taught to this day, oh and btw he wrote on a napkin as he was coming by horse and buggy to Gettysburg.
There was nothing to be won in the Gettysburg address. There were no rules for length of the speech. In my humblest opinion you're comparing apples to oranges. However, in this contest, these things are clearly defined and in multiple instances stated within the rules, the winning entry is deemed invalid to be judged.
Lt. Commander
# 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdnova View Post
You know I normally don't get involved in community drama, but are you guys seriously kidding me....300 words vs 600. How petty are we as a community. yeah, the story did go over, but how long the story verses how good it is is irrelevant. During the Gettysburg address, the guy that was speaking before Lincoln, spoke for TWO HOURS, and yet no one remembers his name, Lincoln spoke for 45 minutes and that speech was what touched American so much that its still taught to this day, oh and btw he wrote on a napkin as he was coming by horse and buggy to Gettysburg.

When something is well written it doesn't need the power of size and length to support its self, all it needs to do is engage the reader and allow them to feel as though they are delving into the fiction that they are reading.

was there a mistake of course, will it happen again, well it appears practices are being put into place to prevent future mistakes. However what was the crime here, the fact that word counting took a back seat to an exciting and engaging story that caught the attention of others. tbh whether the story was 300 words or 600 whether the story took 45 minutes to read or 2 hours, is really irrelevant, I am sure that the rest of the stories where very good and for that I congratulate the hard work and thought that went into them, however what was accomplished was that this story attracted the attention of the people reading it and for that it was good.

Besides look at it this, so what if a 600 word story won, at least we will have more opportunities in the future to be that one winner! Not winning a Beta key is not the end of the world and last i checked everyone is aloud to make at least 1 mistake in their life and manage to not get the death penalty for it.
It would be one this if it was like 20-30-40 or even 50 words over but 309 that is a bit much an a lot more people would have add better story's if they did not cut them down to the 300.
Lt. Commander
# 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
It would be trivial if it were the first totally botched contest run by Awen. It isn't. Being able to learn from one's previous mistakes is important. Messing up again, acting defiantly, trying to distort the record... at what point do you say enough is enough?

Spare us a protracted debate and resign, Awen. It is the honorable thing to do.
Oh come on now. Awen is not some elected official that we can, with any sense of entitlement, demand the resignation from. Awen has made it clear that all of the judges loved the story, so any fault that exists in this one contest seems to rest on them all. And at the end of the day, a message board is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship, whether it be benevolent or malevolent; and I'd say overall Awen has done a great job at being tolerant and interacting with the community. People may be welcomed here, but they don't have a right to be here. Yes, this contest was a flub (IMO), but the contest itself is a luxury, not something that your rights dictate must be provided.

No good is going to come out of demanding her resignation. And, if for no other reason than your own good, I would recommend stopping.
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
It would be trivial if it were the first totally botched contest run by Awen. It isn't. Being able to learn from one's previous mistakes is important. Messing up again, acting defiantly, trying to distort the record... at what point do you say enough is enough?

Spare us a protracted debate and resign, Awen. It is the honorable thing to do.
I'm sorry, exactly who do you think you are to be demanding someones resignation? At this point, you're not even a customer. You're a potential customer for a game that doesn't even have an official release date yet. Get over yourself.

I entered this contest and honestly, I'm very disappointed at how it was handled. However, the completely ignorant way certain members of the community behaved is exactly why I don't participate in online forums very often. I doubt I could do Awen's job because most of the forum users would be perma-banned.

The contest was handled badly. The response to the ensuing outrage was also handled badly (a very human reaction, but bad nonetheless). An apology was issued. The continued foolishness of certain forumites is just ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Well i was the runner up on this one. I can post my entry somewhere or send it via PM if anyone wants to see it.

It was originally around 450 words but I hacked the crap out of it to make it fit. Got most of the content in there but not so much in the way of flavor like the winner did. I liked the way he set the mood and atmosphere of the story. Mine is more dry but maybe more unique in the idea behind it. Although i have to admit I liked the bit on how they kept the Borg at bay in the winners piece.

Although I hate to see someone win that went way out of bounds I am glad that this company has these sorts of contests. I have been in many beta tests and its always through sheer luck of the draw that I get in. Never had a chance to earn a slot.

So I hope I get another chance to earn my slot and not get a "You have been selected at random to participate!" auto email one day.

Oh and I am sorry for the delay in the posting of the winner for this contest. They had to email me to get my forum name as I forgot to put it on my entry.
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
hehehe I forgot to put mine on aswell I think.
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuichii View Post

To paraphrase a certain Republican Senator recently, she should come before the public like the Japanese and take a long bow. Then either quit or . . . well I donít have to finish that.
It's probably best you didn't finish it, even better if you'd never said it to be honest considering what the senator's original remark was

I hoped this community would be more star trek and less WoW.. looks like I was wrong.

A mistake was made, and admitted to. An aplogy was given and they're stated an alternative to avoid future mistakes of this sort

That should be enough for people to accept and stop acting like posters in the wow class forums when a patch is due
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
When I first saw the winning entry I was surprised by the length of it, but not angered to any degree. It's hard to get emotionally invested sat in an office by yourself at 5am, trying to fix the problems your colleagues left you the night before.

When I sat down to write my entry I really couldn't get it to within 300 words and still regard it as an acceptable piece of writing. When I kept reading it back, it just read poorly. I didn't want to submit something I wasn't prepared to vote for myself, so I didn't submit anything. I don't regret the decision either because in the end it's not worth losing sleep over. None of this is. I just chalk it up to poor creative writing skills on my part.

Anyway, you live & learn in this world. Those who never make mistakes are destined to make nothing with their lives, so I think really it's about moving on from this affair and showing a little forgiveness. The game is still a way off from release and there will be plenty of time to enter future contests and hope for a beta slot.
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel6d View Post
Well i was the runner up on this one. I can post my entry somewhere or send it via PM if anyone wants to see it.

It was originally around 450 words but I hacked the crap out of it to make it fit. Got most of the content in there but not so much in the way of flavor like the winner did. I liked the way he set the mood and atmosphere of the story. Mine is more dry but maybe more unique in the idea behind it. Although i have to admit I liked the bit on how they kept the Borg at bay in the winners piece.

Although I hate to see someone win that went way out of bounds I am glad that this company has these sorts of contests. I have been in many beta tests and its always through sheer luck of the draw that I get in. Never had a chance to earn a slot.

So I hope I get another chance to earn my slot and not get a "You have been selected at random to participate!" auto email one day.

Oh and I am sorry for the delay in the posting of the winner for this contest. They had to email me to get my forum name as I forgot to put it on my entry.
Congratulations on the runner up prize Coldsteel! I would love to read your entry. There is a post in the holodeck forum where participants in the contest have already posted their entries. I hope you earn or win a slot in beta for this game!

edit - link to the entires on Holodeck forum can be found here
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=16992
Closed Thread