Lt. Commander
# 241
03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Calling for a resignation or someone to be fired? I don't like that tone. To me it pressumes too much. It is her bosses decision and I wouldn't be surprised if they took exception to this. Let them manage their staff issues, we are clearly not happy. That should suffice.

Consider the job, Public Relations. Creating relationships, trying to impress people, being friendly. Hardly something that draws logical or law and rule followers. It is a personality job. Though a lot of that comes across differently in text.
(Even this last bit does not carry my meaning well, time for me to go to bed.)
Lt. Commander
# 242
03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
I believe at least one runner-up came forward, but last I looked had not gotten the title in their signature. If I remember correctly, it was in the holo-deck section of the forums.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel it needs to be said loudly, and often, that in her tone and management of these contests, Awen has soured a lot of people. You can only mess up so many times before it's obvious you are in the wrong job.
Saying that, makes me remember how the Verent Staff (before Sony) handled the Best of the Best Contests in Everquest.

I remember I encured some serious faction hits with friendly races and the said they would restore my character, and they never did. Some factions took months to get back, others I never did.

There is a old saying, "Do as you say, and say what you do".
Lt. Commander
# 243 Well, Jen...
03-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenshae View Post
Calling for a resignation or someone to be fired? I don't like that tone. To me it pressumes too much. It is her bosses decision and I wouldn't be surprised if they took exception to this. Let them manage their staff issues, we are clearly not happy. That should suffice.

Consider the job, Public Relations. Creating relationships, trying to impress people, being friendly. Hardly something that draws logical or law and rule followers. It is a personality job. Though a lot of that comes across differently in text.
(Even this last bit does not carry my meaning well, time for me to go to bed.)
As you can see from the games I've played (in my sig) I've been around the block in MMO's. But in the 80's (awwk, I'm getting old) I was in radio for ten years, running contests, interacting with people all day, doing PR, etc.

It's sad but true... I've never seen contests run so badly anywhere, anytime, as this gang does. Cryptic breaks their own rules, then punishes their community for reacting with honest anger... unbelievable, unforgivable arrogance. Awen has the nerve to lecture us like children. If I'm her boss, and I see the way she fails at her job, she's gone! Clean out your desk, here's your check for the last two weeks.

These days, corporate America seems to just give bonuses when you fail. If you fail again, more bonuses. I suppose the model is like a monarchy or a dictatorship: Big Brother is always right.

It just ain't right, in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 244
03-26-2009, 02:32 AM
I worked in radio too. PR to boot. I would agree that the first contest wasn't handled well (and as a runner up I am of course very disappointed). I would agree with Wynn that it would only take a moment to let people know who the runner's up were in the first contest. And, presumably, since they have been able to fix the technical problems (as they are now awarding runner ups) I don't understand why they wouldn't fix the flop by simply announcing the two winners and adding the forum titles.
However - someone's resignation is a serious thing. One mistake isn't enough. Perhaps it is big. Perhaps even repetitive. But whomever Awen reports to must make that decision. Before something as severe as that occurs, I hope that there is at the very least an opportunity for Awen to make good on any mistakes.
Yet that too is a lot to ask. If Awen is more responsibly running the new contests that is enough (though ultimately not the desired outcome). However, from a personal standpoint, if I were Awen I would try to publicly make good on any mistakes. It may have costs more than some have realized (though I'm sure that Cryptic has an idea). For one, I spend less time engaging in this community (I used to post much more frequently - now only coming back every couple of weeks - and even then just checking a few things out).
Others too may have been put off in participating in contests because of the lack of consistency. Some in the community cry "heretic" or "whiner" to someone who has lost enthusiasm. But I've seen it many times before. I was involved in a radio startup that had similiar problems. First promising one thing, and then unable to deliver. That radio station went belly up. Listeners stopped attending events. Ratings dropped - which then meant money did too. The trick to successfully running any PR campaign (essentially what this website is designed to do until launch) is to promise one thing and deliver that and more. In the first contest that did not happen. In fact, the mark was missed by a long shot. That's left a lot of people not really interested in investing a lot into something they can't be sure about. Not to mention the already long history of this game's release (one broken promise after another). Some of us have just decided that it's better just to participate a little more in real life and find other creative outlets.
As cryptic moves forward with these contests (and everything else) it will be that much more important that they show consistency and earnest. Then they can earn back what they've lost and some will find their way back to trust.
I for one have been disappointed with the outcome of the first contest. But the second contest looks much brighter. I can't altogether say that I've been disappointed that I've found other creative outlets either.
Lt. Commander
# 245 Well hey
03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
This would now seem to be the default spot, for obvious reasons, for any further discussions regarding how Cryptic handles their contests, and how they handle boardmembers who have issues. This last is touchy; choose your words very wisely.

I'm no Johnny-come-lately, as I've been outspoken around this for some time... as this thread clearly shows.
Since a hard line is being enforced by the Cryptic staff, I'd also suggest we keep it civil.

The last couple days have been rough. I've made my feelings known, as have others. As always, I'm most interested in those that have not yet weighed in.
Closed Thread