Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 71
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Interesting entry, and congratulations to the author! I still don't think that this "controversy" merits attention that it is getting, but it is good to see that Cryptic Studios are taking steps to appease the community regardless. I'm looking forward to future contests, even if the winners have to be chosen through some sort of random method instead of based solely on creativity.
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I did leave the bar/cantina setting out but it was on purpose. The 300 word limit dictated that much had to be cut and I chose to cut flavor (the personal setting) in favor of facts and description. Since I assumed that the information I provided would be used at a later date to add content to the game I wanted to make sure that I gave enough info to achieve this end.

IMO that's why TheHybrid was over on words he added content and flavor. His story was a much better read. Mine was kinda dry and Wiki like.

As long as he keeps his beta slot then I guess its cool. Maybe he will let me be his wingman in beta. I can ram with the best of em.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Hey, I didnt bring this up, I was just responding to the post of the person who actually noticed it. Either way though, this appears to be another example of overlooking the rules, or at least trying to justify not following them. Your arguments/justifications are basicly the same ones that were made for the original winner not obeying the word limit rule.
I'd be inclined to give this more slack as the world limit was (in theory) a hard limit everyone had to abide by, presumably to make the contest manageable for the devs. Since the intent of the contest is to give an insight into a new alien race in general, that particular line seems more a guideline than a checklist of things to explicitly discuss.
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokan View Post
I'd be inclined to give this more slack as the world limit was (in theory) a hard limit everyone had to abide by, presumably to make the contest manageable for the devs. Since the intent of the contest is to give an insight into a new alien race in general, that particular line seems more a guideline than a checklist of things to explicitly discuss.
Agreed. And TheHybrid touched upon all the requirements of rule one: the cantina setting, identifying the alien, giving a sense of what their biology is like, etc. But in doing so, it caused him to double the limit. The word limit for this contest specifically (because it supported a narrative) should have (IMHO) been longer since this contest specifically set up a narrative, and 300 words doesn't really allow for an interesting follow up, because, as Coldsteel pointed out, you have to sacrifice either "flavor" or "facts", and if you spend all your time creating a setting, then you'll never get to introducing the alien, which is the cornerstone of the competition.I think he made the best of the situation.

Also, if you want to be technical, it never explicitly said that we had to stick to the cantina setting, just simply introduce the alien met in said cantina.
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Congrats!! You squeezed a lot out of 300 words, well done!

Nagilum
Lt. Commander
# 76
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
very well done, congrats...

... AND, you achieved this within the rule parameters !
Lt. Commander
# 77
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Congratulations.
Lt. Commander
# 78
03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Defintely a great Gratz to you. I enjoyed these winners entries, very good.
Lt. Commander
# 79
03-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel6d View Post
I did leave the bar/cantina setting out but it was on purpose. The 300 word limit dictated that much had to be cut and I chose to cut flavor (the personal setting) in favor of facts and description. Since I assumed that the information I provided would be used at a later date to add content to the game I wanted to make sure that I gave enough info to achieve this end.

IMO that's why TheHybrid was over on words he added content and flavor. His story was a much better read. Mine was kinda dry and Wiki like.

As long as he keeps his beta slot then I guess its cool. Maybe he will let me be his wingman in beta. I can ram with the best of em.
best response ever.

Thanks ColdSteel, I am humbled by your graciousness in victory
Lt. Commander
# 80
03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
he gets my vote. He should be on future STO design team.