Ensign
I've seen players in game (usually wearing Omega constumes) that seem to have a flashlight that they can turn on/off on their shoulder, and it looks awesome. How can I get this?
-------
Career Officer
# 2
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
You can pick one up in the Klingon Front mission "What Lies beneath". Make sure to remove it from your character before ending the mission (beaming out) as its automatically removed from your devices slot (you use it in the mission to light up the area as its dark).

You can collect a few more for your BOs too. Here is some wiki info: http://www.stowiki.org/Flashlight
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Ensign
# 3
06-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
You can pick one up in the Klingon Front mission "What Lies beneath". Make sure to remove it from your character before ending the mission (beaming out) as its automatically removed from your devices slot (you use it in the mission to light up the area as its dark).

You can collect a few more for your BOs too.
Thank you :smile:
-------
Career Officer
# 4
06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I think they should add small cool little features like this to the elite sets; badass elite specops types with their blinding flashlights to navigate dark hostile territory, and of course MACO guys need lights on their EVA suits because it's dark out in space. :redface:
----
Career Officer
# 5
06-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Well the wiki mentions it, and I recall hearing it, that the reason they can't do that is because of the added strain on people's GPUs to render a large scene of people using these flashlights at the same time - especially in graphically intensive environments.

I guess they could always try and implement a "Display Player Gear Effects" toggle to kill seeing other people's lights, if your system couldn't handle it - but thats likely easier said than done.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 6
06-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post

You can collect a few more for your BOs too. Here is some wiki info: http://www.stowiki.org/Flashlight
Brilliant! I was wondering about that, since I thought it was removed completely after the mission.
Career Officer
# 7
06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Perhaps a stupid question, but what the he... ...I didn't know this when I ran through that mission, hence i have no torch. Can I do the mission again, and get it this (2nd) time?

Cheers.
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Captain
# 8
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandormen123 View Post
Perhaps a stupid question, but what the he... ...I didn't know this when I ran through that mission, hence i have no torch. Can I do the mission again, and get it this (2nd) time?

Cheers.
It's in a box near the exit when you first start.

I cheated a bit -- I wore my EV suit for this mission and supplemented the flashlight with the suit light, although the EV suit light doesn't point straight ahead, it helped.
# 9
06-22-2012, 09:42 AM
EV suits also have lights attached to them.

On a related note, I've been working recently on a fleet starbase mission that you'll probably want your flashlights for. Charge your batteries. . .
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Commander
# 10
06-22-2012, 10:03 AM
According to the STO wiki:

According to mission designer Jesse Heinig the Flashlight is removed from the player due to hardware limitations. Since each player would be able to carry a dynamic light source, social areas with 30+ players could not be rendered anymore with most GPUs.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition