Career Officer
# 1 T5 Nova
06-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Right, I need something to distract me from the sadness that is the the new forum, and the fact that until week's end (at earliest) I can't buy the Armitage or anything else in the C Store due to some problems with my debit card.

So, going off of the assumption that they will eventually make a tier 5 Nova (which is admittedly not certain and something I don't really want to discuss right now) what would you recommend for its special console?

The Thunderchild had the point defense turret while the Armitage has the photon defense turret, so maybe some T5 Nova only varient of the Photonic Displacement? Perhaps one that duplicates a bit more seamlessly, (and noticeably for PvP) letting you attack from just below the projection. (Because, of course, being close with return fire would only matter with torpedoes, and even then only if it had a timed fuse rather than impact detonation they normally have)

Or, you know, it could be something closer to the Photonic Fleet, how about a console that lets you project a hologram of the Ody (and about as powerful as the 3 from photonic fleet combined) once every three minutes?

I don't want to suggest it has to be something photonic, I'm just extrapolating from the current example of the Akira. Plus, you know, not sure what other science-y powers you could run with.

You could also run with the whole Equinox thing, give it a console that effects speed somehow. Though that one seems less likely as there is already a similar one for both in combat and other stuff to boost sector space speed.

A console to make Tyken's Rifts (or Gravity Wells, though that one could be OP) that latch onto the target and follow them to a limited extent, making them harder to escape?

Or how about something like how Lt. Burke of the Equinox beamed the field emitter device right off of Voyager? Say a power similar to Viral Matrix, but done via transporter and with different effects - disabling projectile weapons only, but for twice as long, that sort of thing.

Another bit of inspiration from the same incident, but less spectacular - a console giving a passive power making things like boarding parties much less effective (like the modular force fields used against the 'spirits of good fortune')
Ensign
# 2 Extra DPS.
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
As DPS is an issue on science ships I would give it a universal console that would act as a extra weapons slot using the deflector in some capacity. I love the Nova class in general if science class had a bit more bite in the dps category they could be more useful in stfs rather then to just stop moving nanite spheres and probe control.
Career Officer
# 3
06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Gravity Well isn't that bad for damage, once you knock through their shields. (At least, against NPC's, obviously PC's will get out of range a lot quicker)

But the deflector idea isn't shabby, though it would be a bit weird to see something like the deflector blast from Best of Both Worlds on a Nova rather than Galaxy.
Rihannsu
# 4
06-22-2012, 08:53 AM
the Equinox from Voyager could drop its shields for about 30-45 seconds, and completely remodulate them and bring them back up. so something like that

so you could drop you shields for say 4 seconds completely and when they come back online you get max shields with high regen and damage resistance for say 15seconds?

Sort of like the Ablative Armour, only for shields. would give you a chance to plow through an enemy group and out the other side to draw their attn.
Career Officer
# 5
06-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorseacat View Post
the Equinox from Voyager could drop its shields for about 30-45 seconds, and completely remodulate them and bring them back up. so something like that

so you could drop you shields for say 4 seconds completely and when they come back online you get max shields with high regen and damage resistance for say 15seconds?

Sort of like the Ablative Armour, only for shields. would give you a chance to plow through an enemy group and out the other side to draw their attn.
I'd be willing to shell out some c-point for this...
Rihannsu
# 6
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
yeah not a bad idea
Career Officer
# 7
06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:

Very nice idea -
A) definitely science feel to it
B) worthwhile power not in game yet (or something close to it anyway)
C) Actually used in canon by the ship that would get it.
D) Also has the advantage of being easier to balance than a lot of the console powers - since you are very open to attack while it is working. Though I guess it would make hull plating a more important power again.

Although I got the impression that any ship could do this, its just that in a traditional space fight it would be nearly suicide. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by rokesmith; 06-22-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Career Officer
# 8
06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Any other ideas?

In a general way you can divide the consoles into a couple categories - dps, defense, science control powers (some dps too) and passive buffs like the transwarp cooldown.

The shield one above is a great defensive idea, a nice counterpoint for the ablative generator.

What about control options? The 'sticky' gravity well could work, but might be OP (and not as useful in PVE where the mobs don't actively flee it much anyway)

How about a way to disable launchers on an enemy ship? Some science technobable that basically blocks things like torpedo ports and hanger bays? Kindof like gumming up a gun barrel? I don't know, it would be cool, but disproportionately damaging to enemy torp boats and carriers, while not very useful at all against things like beam cruisers.

Surely there are other cool idea out there?
Career Officer
# 9
06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokesmith View Post
Very nice idea -
A) definitely science feel to it
B) worthwhile power not in game yet (or something close to it anyway)
C) Actually used in canon by the ship that would get it.
D) Also has the advantage of being easier to balance than a lot of the console powers - since you are very open to attack while it is working. Though I guess it would make hull plating a more important power again.

Although I got the impression that any ship could do this, its just that in a traditional space fight it would be nearly suicide. I could be wrong though.
I have wanted a T5 Nova since the beginning, and I like this console idea.
(The upgraded photonic displacement idea is good too.)

Last edited by arveduy; 06-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
06-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Wonder if Tacohead is still using a Nova?

Last edited by reyan01; 06-27-2012 at 01:23 AM.