Career Officer
# 11
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
EV suits also have lights attached to them.

On a related note, I've been working recently on a fleet starbase mission that you'll probably want your flashlights for. Charge your batteries. . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_17_Is_Missing
Career Officer
# 12
06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusashorn View Post
According to the STO wiki:

According to mission designer Jesse Heinig the Flashlight is removed from the player due to hardware limitations. Since each player would be able to carry a dynamic light source, social areas with 30+ players could not be rendered anymore with most GPUs.
Fortunately, they added a workaround with the EV suits that makes the light itself only render for the person wearing it. Everyone else just sees the texture's glowing effect but not the light source itself.

At least, this is what I've observed in my testing. :smile:
Captain
# 13
06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
WOW, nice pic in stowiki. Sure wished it worked like that for me, would've made 'what lies beneath' a bit more fun if I could've seen what I was shooting at.

...before you ask- my low quality video settings nerfed the beam.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Career Officer
# 14
06-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
EV suits also have lights attached to them.

On a related note, I've been working recently on a fleet starbase mission that you'll probably want your flashlights for. Charge your batteries. . .
I'll be back... gotta go change my pants...
Cryptic Studios Team
# 15
06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
The flashlight shines an actual dynamic light when on High (and I think Medium) settings. On Low settings, it drops the light (necessitated by the graphics card) and instead draws what we call a splat. Basically a texture that looks similar to a light splash, projected from the flashlight's position, in the direction you're pointing. Admittedly, this looks much worse than the actual light does.

The EV suits are lacking the splat, and unfortunately, on low end, just drop the light entirely.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Captain
# 16
06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
The flashlight shines an actual dynamic light when on High (and I think Medium) settings. On Low settings, it drops the light (necessitated by the graphics card) and instead draws what we call a splat. Basically a texture that looks similar to a light splash, projected from the flashlight's position, in the direction you're pointing. Admittedly, this looks much worse than the actual light does.

The EV suits are lacking the splat, and unfortunately, on low end, just drop the light entirely.
That's alright, the splat doesn't actually help you see anything. When I was running at lower graphic settings, I kept trying to use it to help me see during the mission you get it in before finally figuring out it was easier just to go without it.

And then later when I was able to actually play with higher graphic settings, I realized why some people found it useful when it seemed useless to me.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Captain
# 17
06-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Well the wiki mentions it, and I recall hearing it, that the reason they can't do that is because of the added strain on people's GPUs to render a large scene of people using these flashlights at the same time - especially in graphically intensive environments.

I guess they could always try and implement a "Display Player Gear Effects" toggle to kill seeing other people's lights, if your system couldn't handle it - but thats likely easier said than done.

I'd like to see the MACO ground set double as an environmental suit.
Career Officer
# 18
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
I'd like to see the MACO ground set double as an environmental suit.
This would be cool and would make sense, but the Omega set would need a desirable added functionality too if it weren't to be an EVA suit. But whatever happens they should both have fancy lights :tongue: (disabled in social zones :redface: ).
----