Community Moderator
# 11
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well... I can tell for a fact that the moderation works very effectively right now...

10 mins ago there was a post harassing DStahl... now it's gone... Deleted... It's not even locked as they used to be.
I saw that one... I'm not the Cryptic defender I used to be, but I've gotta say that's one thread that deserved annihilation.

But that thread screamed for the whamhammer... it was an in-your-face and very visible violation.

Can't understand how people let themselves get outraged over a game and lose it like that. When I got to that point last year I quit. When my objections went away with the F2P release, I came back. If I get mad in the forums, I take a break and don't look at them for a few days.

The point's to have fun, not to raise the blood pressure. Which is why we do need effective troll-control measures like knowing how to report stuff.
Career Officer
# 12
06-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I saw that one... I'm not the Cryptic defender I used to be, but I've gotta say that's one thread that deserved annihilation.

But that thread screamed for the whamhammer... it was an in-your-face and very visible violation.

Can't understand how people let themselves get outraged over a game and lose it like that. When I got to that point last year I quit. When my objections went away with the F2P release, I came back. If I get mad in the forums, I take a break and don't look at them for a few days.

The point's to have fun, not to raise the blood pressure. Which is why we do need effective troll-control measures like knowing how to report stuff.
Oh I agree... At the very least he could have been polite and significantly more diplomatic.

Angry or not... It dosen't give them the right to be idiots. This guy was WAY over the top with his post.

Im gonna wait a little... If moderation is as effective from now on as it was with that particular thread, I see little reason for a report tool. if not... yea... bring it back.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Community Moderator
# 13
06-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Im gonna wait a little... If moderation is as effective from now on as it was with that particular thread, I see little reason for a report tool. if not... yea... bring it back.
Don't see how it can be that effective all the time. The thread was addressed to a Dev, the EP for crying out loud, and the very first post was a clear infraction. Very noticeable, easy to spot, and no context needed to establish the fault.

Contrast that with a less visible thread, not directed at a dev, where the post is not strictly relevant to the thread itself and may not even be a personal attack, just offensive.

If there's no official moderator listed, you can't know who to PM... aside from maybe Brandon, and I can just imagine how much stuff he has to wade through in a given day.

Depending on the nature of the offense, I guess I'd try the civil way first... PM or respond to the offender and politely ask them to retract before I go to the trouble of seeking out a mod. If I get flamed in response, then I'll know there's no point in reasoning and seek a resolution accordingly.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized you can't PM folks unless they let you. If privacy's turned on, you get nowhere.
Captain
# 14
06-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
That's probably what they're looking at. Some of the forums I've moderated on, it was assumed by the pointy haired bosses that the mods were supposed to be all knowing and all aware of what was happening in the forums and there was no interaction on the users part for moderation.

Of course I had three users with sig images that went upwards of three weeks without any response on reports on the old forums....
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Community Moderator
# 15
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
That's probably what they're looking at. Some of the forums I've moderated on, it was assumed by the pointy haired bosses that the mods were supposed to be all knowing and all aware of what was happening in the forums and there was no interaction on the users part for moderation.

Of course I had three users with sig images that went upwards of three weeks without any response on reports on the old forums....
Remember, moderators don't respond to anyone directly. What you may have reported, may have been looked at (within 3 weeks honestly was looked at I am sure of it =P) and their own decision was made on it.

Besides that folks, you need to remember that mods are volunteers for starters but they're also human. Mods can only look at forums so much during a day/week hehe.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 16
06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
Remember, moderators don't respond to anyone directly. What you may have reported, may have been looked at (within 3 weeks honestly was looked at I am sure of it =P) and their own decision was made on it.
One of these was a 700 x 500 image that was still there after being reported a number of times. Even asked if it was being allowed. I have never been on a forums where I wasn't allowed to interact with a reporter. In fact on some of them, it was encouraged. If they aren't here, well it's just yet another example of how out of touch these folks are in this forum.

I know they're volunteers. I covered my past moderator history in another thread.

edit: You also don;t tick off those trying to help you doing your "job". Learned that a long time ago as well.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining

Last edited by mikewendell; 06-22-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
The old system was flawed but would have been a good start had it not been neglected.
The new system is less about user rights and more about them wanting complete say over what is posted here.
Though the lack of report feature is a bit retarded in that aspect

on second thought ... it might just be plain laziness
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
06-22-2012, 03:57 PM
The ability to report with a click, or Ignore users was kinda handy. I have already seen some vile posts recently that would have resulted in bans on the old forums. Example
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net