Lt. Commander
Hello I am creating a mission where the bad guy is a fellow Starfleet officer. How can I change his costume and his allies to hostile?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2012, 12:46 PM
You can't right now.

What you could do is start him hostile but have his npc group behind an invisible wall. When it is time for him to go hostile drop the wall so the group will now be able to see you and start shooting away
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2012, 01:05 PM
There are a few methods, but mine is to decide an enemy faction whose behavior closely resembles the character and then I create a costume that completely hides whatever NPC group the character belongs to. It's important to note that there is MirrorFederation, but then players have to be 31+ to play it.

For example, in my mission Young Devils and Dark Secrets, I created an entire army with Orion squads and costumed them all to look like Starfleet cadets. I will warn you though that this is time-consuming process.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2012, 09:24 PM
There are at least three ways to do it that I can think of. Go to:
http://starbaseugc.com/

There are some great tutorials there for this sort of thing.
(And a lot of other cool stuff too)
Lt. Commander
# 5 Similar question
06-18-2012, 02:44 AM
I am trying to make a mission where a stolen federation vessel is the enamy. It starts nutral as you talk to the thief and try to bring him in. I need a way to make the ship go hostile though once that is done or at least warp out. any advice welcome, I would prefer a way to make the ship warp out and we have to follow it to another sector and fight it thereif possible. Oh and how do i set a specific ship for combat, the groups thing looks a little random?
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Kirkfat shows in a trigger video how to make a borg cube do EXACTLY what you are saying.

Triggers Video part 4

Just replace the borg cube with something like the gorn and dress it up.

The same methods can be applied to ground units, but they have to be hidden instead. Beaming out and making NPC ground units go invisible are not options. Other options ALWAYS will exist.

NOTE: I really don't understand how people can come in here and say. "You can't right now." This is possible and has been done in many ways. Please, if you think it is totally impossible, do some research before you tell people it can't be done. Due to the screwy forum I can't tell who said that and it is probably for the best. Think in the positive!
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
"Can't be done, but..." is a common phrase, especially for those of us who have been around the Foundry a long time. Actually I think that person might have misunderstood the question. Looks like they thought the OP was asking how he can make an npc group that starts out friendly, and on queue goes to hostile and starts shooting at you. Technically this can't be done. There's not a trigger box that says "Transition from Friendly to Enemy when X happens."

It is still possible of course, with the workarounds described. And to their credit, the poster did offer one such workaround.

The actual question, of course, was answered in the second post. Anyway, you're absolutely right, Kirkfat's tutorial does exactly what Mr. Archived Poster wants, but a few things need to be added, just in case he's never encountered them before.

Firstly, as you might see in KF's video, when the ship warps out, it doesn't actually warp out. It just goes a few kilometers and stops. That's something we cant get around, but... :wink: you can put something like a planet in its path so the player can't see it anymore. The graphical bracket and ship name may still show up though even inside/behind an object.

What I did in "Dissent I: Walking in the Air," was have a freighter warp into an asteroid, based on a reach marker, while at the same time I spawn a couple enemies right on top of the player. Once the enemies are dead a dialogue starts that leads right into the map transition. Hopefully this keeps the player occupied enough not to notice that the freighter didn't really warp out.

Second, KF's technique only works with certain ships. We don't have every ship in the game available in the details menu. Using his method is limited to (off the top of my head cause i don't have it in front of me) Borg, Federation, Freighters and maybe some Klingon ships.

Hope this helps.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I do apologize if I sounded rude. I am a person who believes in "no problems, only solutions" there is always a way. I am not a fan of Star Trek but I think Kirk said something like that? :redface:

Anyways, posters should offer solutions and the worst advice possible to someone struggling with a beta tool is "it can't be done.". :wink:
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.