Career Officer
# 11
06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Phew, was afraid I'd have to find all that information from my original application again... I'm 7 already?
No problem since I keep separate word docs as my reports. It makes it easier if the author comes back with a specific question or concern. I also use FRAPS to take screen grabs of dialogue so I can double check myself later if needed.

Don?t worry soon you?ll be up in the review window. I?m not sure how fast but soon. :smile:

Quote:
Edit: To answer your last response to my posts (displaying quote first)

I merely stated that it MAY be easier with an Elite STF-level team when playing the harder MDC combinations - most of the later fights contained one of the following:

* Two Commander-grade mobs (featuring Commander with various underlings)

* One Captain-grade mob (Captain, once again varying underlings)

* And a one-of-a-kind encounter with both of the above.

Due to this fact, it is quite possible that you will either have to fight the harder combinations with a series of respawns or extreme skill, or risk failing altogether. Fortunately though, I put the respawn point for the hardest encounter properly, and may decide to add some more points retrospectively.
I merely stated I do not team up with others for reviews. It makes it more difficult to do my reviews, because coordinating times to meet is difficult, and if someone accidently clicks a button the dialogue flashes by unread.

As for teaming up for fighting purposes it is not practical for the reasons I stated above. The higher level mobs are okay in moderation. Generally if the mobs get progressively harder as the player goes through them that is perfectly fine. However if there are dozens of high level mobs throughout a mission which causes a player to get killed over and over and over it may be too much. I would recommend not building mission engagements for multiple players. If one person comes in and plays it and is not able to get past the fight they will probably drop your mission and give it a low rating. If I feel it is very hard on normal mode then it would probably impossible on Elite. Again, my reports are only recommendations, what the author does with those is up to them. :wink:

Quote:
Re-edit: However, I will point out that all the ground mobs are Klingon in origin (unless you stumble upon something mysterious whilst randomly exploring the area around the Explorer's main engineering section...), so you can try to optimise your build to defeat marauding hordes of Klingon warriors... but if you go and explore, I recommend a frequency remodulator and a LOT of skill :biggrin:
Again, I recommend you exercise caution when making mobs too strong for a single player for the same reasons as stated above. I am not sure what the benefit of adding mobs off the mission path would be used for. In my opinion it would be a distraction from the overall mission you are trying to achieve. In the end the author has to decide how to tell their story. I can only make recommendations Oh, and I always carry frequency modulators. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Career Officer
# 12
06-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
Hello,

I would like to hear your opinion on my first mission. Would be happy if you find the time.

Mission Name: Shadows of the Past
Author: backyardserenade
Minimum Level: 31+
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: ST-HHG6JJ82J
Estimated Mission Length: 30+ minutes
Method of Report Delivery: Forum post (here)

There's also a STOWiki site with some further information:
http://www.stowiki.org/Foundry:Shado...T-HHG6JJ82J%29

Thanks in advance!
Hi backyardserenade,

Thanks for the review request. You are currently 14th in the queue behind the q403 (formerly known as Q400). I hope to get started on the queue Saturday and make some progress through it. I will get to yours as soon as I can and will post it here when I am done. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Career Officer
# 13
06-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
Thanks for the heads up, artist formerly known as NCC-89471. When I get to your mission if I have an issue I will let you know.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
I can log in (and stay logged in) now, and taking a quick glance at the Foundry it appears my missions are all still under my old Atari/Cryptic handle of NCC-89471.
Empire Veteran
# 14
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Heh, Evil is back. It's nice to know some things stay the same. :smile:
A KDF Mission...on the FOUNDRY!

Last edited by aavarius; 07-01-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Captain
# 15
06-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
No problem since I keep separate word docs as my reports. It makes it easier if the author comes back with a specific question or concern. I also use FRAPS to take screen grabs of dialogue so I can double check myself later if needed.

1. Don?t worry soon you?ll be up in the review window. I?m not sure how fast but soon.

2.I merely stated I do not team up with others for reviews. It makes it more difficult to do my reviews, because coordinating times to meet is difficult, and if someone accidently clicks a button the dialogue flashes by unread.

As for teaming up for fighting purposes it is not practical for the reasons I stated above. The higher level mobs are okay in moderation. Generally if the mobs get progressively harder as the player goes through them that is perfectly fine. However if there are dozens of high level mobs throughout a mission which causes a player to get killed over and over and over it may be too much. I would recommend not building mission engagements for multiple players. If one person comes in and plays it and is not able to get past the fight they will probably drop your mission and give it a low rating. If I feel it is very hard on normal mode then it would probably impossible on Elite. Again, my reports are only recommendations, what the author does with those is up to them.

3.Again, I recommend you exercise caution when making mobs too strong for a single player for the same reasons as stated above. I am not sure what the benefit of adding mobs off the mission path would be used for. In my opinion it would be a distraction from the overall mission you are trying to achieve. In the end the author has to decide how to tell their story. I can only make recommendations Oh, and I always carry frequency modulators.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
1. Actually I was puzzled by that fact :tongue:

2. I wanted it to stay challenging for the players that were smart (or cowardly?) enough to take on some assistance, however this kinda screwed up those that weren't that bright :smile:

3. The mobs off the mission path are for a placeholder objective, and can't be reached without one of the following: Caitian, Supply Cache ability, extreme luck as well as observation. This is because the hidden mobs are in fact several captain-grade Borg mobs designed to kill a specially spawned Orion mob for the final objective on the map; this was implemented so that I could apply a branching dialogue depending on storyline whilst still keeping the ability to have a degree of control over when the map ends. Unfortunately, even those mobs aren't enough to rapidly assassinate the Orion ensign-grade mob, so there will be a slight delay between the end of the dialogue and the transfer-to-next-map prompt. However, the first 10 people to reach the room (before or after the Borg spawn) will receive 5000 energy credits (currently 9 remaining). They will need to send me an ingame mail with the appropriate code :biggrin:

Edit: Once again, I will state that the mobs were optimised for people who both used the emergency holograms and released K'rek - the other storylines will be increasingly challenging, scaling with the strength (difficulty) of the allied mobs - K'rek being a Captain-grade unit in all the mobs, and the various other characters appearing as Commanders, Lieutenants, and Ensigns at random.

K'rek does NOT appear with any allies unless his mob has been specifically optimised for assistance from the Explorer's crew, as seen in the Askaid-Onde MDC combination during the first map that uses him - the bridge battle uses separate mobs for K'rek and the Explorer crew no matter what.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.

Last edited by dalolorn; 06-22-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Career Officer
# 16
06-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
I can log in (and stay logged in) now, and taking a quick glance at the Foundry it appears my missions are all still under my old Atari/Cryptic handle of NCC-89471.
Cool. Glad nothing appears to have changed...
Career Officer
# 17
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavarius View Post
Heh, Evil is back. It's nice to know some things stay the same. :smile:
It's nice to not have to change too much. :smile: Sitting in my programming class right now answering forums postings. When this class is over I'll get some sleep and rise early and start on the queue. After having coffee of course... :biggrin:
Career Officer
# 18
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Quote:
1. Actually I was puzzled by that fact :tongue:

2. I wanted it to stay challenging for the players that were smart (or cowardly?) enough to take on some assistance, however this kinda screwed up those that weren't that bright :smile:

3. The mobs off the mission path are for a placeholder objective, and can't be reached without one of the following: Caitian, Supply Cache ability, extreme luck as well as observation. This is because the hidden mobs are in fact several captain-grade Borg mobs designed to kill a specially spawned Orion mob for the final objective on the map; this was implemented so that I could apply a branching dialogue depending on storyline whilst still keeping the ability to have a degree of control over when the map ends. Unfortunately, even those mobs aren't enough to rapidly assassinate the Orion ensign-grade mob, so there will be a slight delay between the end of the dialogue and the transfer-to-next-map prompt. However, the first 10 people to reach the room (before or after the Borg spawn) will receive 5000 energy credits (currently 9 remaining). They will need to send me an ingame mail with the appropriate code :biggrin:

Edit: Once again, I will state that the mobs were optimised for people who both used the emergency holograms and released K'rek - the other storylines will be increasingly challenging, scaling with the strength (difficulty) of the allied mobs - K'rek being a Captain-grade unit in all the mobs, and the various other characters appearing as Commanders, Lieutenants, and Ensigns at random.

K'rek does NOT appear with any allies unless his mob has been specifically optimised for assistance from the Explorer's crew, as seen in the Askaid-Onde MDC combination during the first map that uses him - the bridge battle uses separate mobs for K'rek and the Explorer crew no matter what.
Every author must do what they think is right for their mission. As I've always said, everything in my reviews are recommendations on how I feel it can be improved. What the author does with it is their business. :wink:

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Captain
# 19
06-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Just posting so I'm subscribed to this thread again. And incase I'm not subscribed due to the forum changeover, as I can't find the subscribe option in my uuser cp anymore, could I ask you just shoot me a quick PM to let me know your review is up please? I'd hate for you to go through the trouble of reviewing it and then I miss it.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 20
06-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
Just posting so I'm subscribed to this thread again. And incase I'm not subscribed due to the forum changeover, as I can't find the subscribe option in my uuser cp anymore, could I ask you just shoot me a quick PM to let me know your review is up please? I'd hate for you to go through the trouble of reviewing it and then I miss it.
Hi grylak,

You can subscribe by clicking on the "Thread Tools" picklist menu at the top of the posting. If that doesn?t work let me know and I?ll shoot you a PM. :wink:

Off to the game for a review.
Brian
:smile: