Ensign
# 1 STO going downhill?
06-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Is it me or has STO started to go seriously downhill since PWE took over? Between all the stuipid gimmics to get cash from people, like the rediculous lock boxes with utterly frustrating uselessness, the "if you buy this pack 1000 times you MIGHT get something cool" cstore packs, the 8000 refinment limit, and not the utter faiure of their servers. The game has drastically dropped in quality since the PWE takeover. Granted we may not have STO if it were not for PWE, but I'm starting to think STO would have been better off in the hands of a more capable studio or a more compitant Dev team.

PWE you FAIL
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
06-23-2012, 05:18 AM
This is really starting to become annoying, everyday there is at least a few new threads from people who say they don't like this, that this is going downhill Blah, Blah, Blah.

Enough is enough, The devs are doing what they are instructed to do, Cryptic is taking its direction from PWE who are now the people in charge. If you don't like go elsewhere.

The game is F2P - that means they need to generate revenue by whatever means possible, if that is changing the lockboxes to Doff packs then that's fine with most of us as we use doffs in game, we buy and trade doffs and if you can get an added bonus on a Ship or console you won't here many complaints as you are still getting what you paid for.

to recap, stop with all the Anti Dev, Anti Cryptic, Anti PWE talk, if you don't like it go elsewhere

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
Career Officer
# 3
06-23-2012, 05:31 AM
if the game (and cryptic) were doing such a bang up job and making money for Atari it wouldnt have been up for sale

At around May last year Atari's yearly financial report showed that they were parting ways with Cryptic, The official reasons given for the split were Atari?s intentions to release "fewer but more profitable" titles and expand into "casual online and mobile games," but it more likely had something to do with the reported $25 million Cryptic have lost Atari in the previous couple of years.

So this was before PWE bailed them out (by purchasing them from atari). Video Games are a business. If PWE hadn't bought them there is a very good chance that there would be no STO as we know it (as you accept). PWE know how to monetize their games. They are good at it. If it keeps the IP alive and playable then I am all for a little gambling (but i prefer the doff pack scenario to the lockboxes). If people want to spend money on the shiny shiny then let them. You get to play for free if you want.

In Game: @Liath | STO Join Date: Jan 2012 | PWE Join Date: Feb 2009
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-23-2012, 05:31 AM
STO is looking up right now tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiledon View Post
if the game (and cryptic) were doing such a bang up job and making money for Atari it wouldnt have been up for sale

At around May last year Atari?s yearly financial report showed that they were parting ways with Cryptic, The official reasons given for the split were Atari?s intentions to release ?fewer but more profitable? titles and expand into ?casual online and mobile games,? but it more likely had something to do with the reported $25 million Cryptic have lost Atari in the previous couple of years.

So this was before PWE bailed them out (by purchasing them from atari). Video Games are a business. If PWE hadn't bought them there is a very good chance that there would be no STO as we know it. Think about that. PWE know how to monetize their games. They are good at it. If it keeps the IP alive and playable then I am all for a little gambling (but i prefer the doff pack scenario to the lockboxes). If people want to spend money on the shiny shiny then let them. You get to play for free if you want.
Atari sold Cryptic to PWE because Cryptic was the only good studio they had to sell to prevent Atari from going bankrupt.
Career Officer
# 6
06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
were cryptic not making money for ATARI. i remember reading somewhere that they were
Ketan Merious
Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
We want an Odyssey variant give us it
Career Officer
# 7
06-23-2012, 06:28 AM
i think its safe to say if pay to play was making money the game would still be pay to play. it's not it's free to play, pay to win (if you believe every other post about the latest boutique item/ship). I think it's the IP that is valuable - Star Trek and Neverwinter (looks promising).

In Game: @Liath | STO Join Date: Jan 2012 | PWE Join Date: Feb 2009
Career Officer
# 8
06-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas12255 View Post
Atari sold Cryptic to PWE because Cryptic was the only good studio they had to sell to prevent Atari from going bankrupt.
Yea... I keep wondering why people keep ignoring that fact?

It's well documented.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
I don't see how the game is going downhill at all.

As far as PWE's management thus far, lets consider:

1) The Feds got a carrier...something more than a few of us have wanted since Day 1, and that Cryptic was very adamant against.

2) New content IS being added. The Featured series were a nice idea, but if the ROI isn't paying out, go on ahead and find one that does work. That's just good business sense.

3) The F2P system does not, IN ANY WAY, restrict silver players from ANY mission content in the game, period. I've seen a number of other IPs gate their quest/mission content behind pay to play walls, and if you think these little lockboxes are a money grab, you ain't seen jack.

4) Not every bit of new gear bling is gated behind pay to play. The Vault STF with the Reman sets, the Defera Invasion zone and its gear sets, the Borg STFs... You have to work to earn them, often repeating instances more times than your sanity wants to remember, but welcome to MMOs. Grinding is part of the experience.

5) About the lockbox lottery ships, let's consider them for a bit. The Jem-bug, the Galor, the Marauder, and the Freighter. None of these ships are in ANY way end all be all, must have or the game's unwinnable, types of ships. Not one. They're unique, they're expensive, but not one is in any way the "One ship to rule them all". No one ever said they have to satisfy anyone's sense of entitlement to have every toy in the box.

6) About the lockboxes in general. If you don't like them, DISPOSE OF THEM. I really don't get all the grouching about them. The damned things are purely voluntary, and nothing in them is in any way necessary to participate fully in the game. So if they bother you that much, then leave'em on the field... Don't pick them up, don't roll for them in STFs, just ignore the fact that they exist and get on with your life.

Seriously, what has PWE done since January that's really made our lives in game all that bloody miserable? I don't get it.
Captain
# 10
06-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by januhull View Post
I don't see how the game is going downhill at all.

As far as PWE's management thus far, lets consider:

1) The Feds got a carrier...something more than a few of us have wanted since Day 1, and that Cryptic was very adamant against.

2) New content IS being added. The Featured series were a nice idea, but if the ROI isn't paying out, go on ahead and find one that does work. That's just good business sense.

3) The F2P system does not, IN ANY WAY, restrict silver players from ANY mission content in the game, period. I've seen a number of other IPs gate their quest/mission content behind pay to play walls, and if you think these little lockboxes are a money grab, you ain't seen jack.
Ah, WoW and expansion packs -- "you no buy expansion pack, you no go here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by januhull View Post
4) Not every bit of new gear bling is gated behind pay to play. The Vault STF with the Reman sets, the Defera Invasion zone and its gear sets, the Borg STFs... You have to work to earn them, often repeating instances more times than your sanity wants to remember, but welcome to MMOs. Grinding is part of the experience..
And even the pay stuff is grindable (albeit slowly) thanks to the dil exchange.