Starfleet Veteran
# 21
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle23 View Post
Ah, WoW and expansion packs -- "you no buy expansion pack, you no go here."

And even the pay stuff is grindable (albeit slowly) thanks to the dil exchange.
Good point on #1, although the one I had in mind was LOTRO. The freebie part of that game, versus the sheer number of quest packs you need to buy are staggering.

As for #2, that's a pretty good point to bring up, especially since Golds and Lifers get stipends...
Career Officer
# 22
06-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wixiban View Post
to recap, stop with all the Anti Dev, Anti Cryptic, Anti PWE talk, if you don't like it go elsewhere
Don't tell people to 'go elsewhere'. You're not doing Cryptic or PWE any favours by pushing their customers away. Perhaps you could even take a piece of your own advice and simply not open threads you know you won't like.
Joined August 2008
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormoran View Post
Don't tell people to 'go elsewhere'. You're not doing Cryptic or PWE any favours by pushing their customers away. Perhaps you could even take a piece of your own advice and simply not open threads you know you won't like.
I have no problem not opening threads that don't appeal to me - that been said, I come to the STO forms for information on the game, help out people with questions that I can answer and just general chat.

I am not huge poster like some of the community, put I find myself getting really ticked off that everyday I check the forums and there are another handful of threads all complaining because someone feels that they have been poorly treated or getting shafted or whatever and it is that, that is dragging STO downhill the constant moaning and whining about one thing or another.

I am all for people expressing there concerns with the game if there is a genuine issue, but the comments on these "new forums" since they went live is just getting out of hand.

And that's what also turns people away.
Career Officer
# 24
06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Because there was no need for a new Forum and this **** Fakebook **** i dont need too.
Level 50 Cpts: W-T-Riker; Jadzia; Sharan; K'Dhan; T-W-Riker; T'Pok; Ehrehin; Shanara; Karana; Lukara
Subscribed For: 1200 Days 23-08-2013
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-23-2012, 08:06 AM
"Like it or leave it " ?
While I agree that many posts in the Forums fall under the "complaining for the sake of complaining" variety, MANY are expressing their concern for the future of the only accessible form of a cultural "hearthstone".
Every misstep, screwup, Q&A foul-up, is scrutinized by individuals who have made the science, principles and background of the IP, a part of their own personal lives.
I would gently suggest that the current licensees of the IP consider that the collective personal financial investment of the Star Trek fanbase, across time, exceeds the overall value of the PWE company.
Aligning themselves with the expectations of that financial juggernaut may seem the more financially prudent, long term winning strategy.
Captain
# 26
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshonuff View Post
the "if you buy this pack 1000 times you MIGHT get something cool" cstore pack
Actually most of us here in the forums were quite happy with that promotion. You bought a pack of doffs and no matter what, you got the doffs. The ship and the lobis were just extra bonuses. You got what you paid for.

It was a lot better than the lockboxes. With those there was a very good chance that what you received was worth much less than the cost of the master key you had to purchase to open it up.

Quote:
Because there was no need for a new Forum
Been much discussed. The forums were moved over so that all of the PW forums were in one location and on one platform.

A better response to that would be to point out that the move was onto a much older version of the forums and many features were lost in the move.

It does little good to complain about the wrong thing.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Lieutenant
# 27
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlar View Post
"Like it or leave it " ?
While I agree that many posts in the Forums fall under the "complaining for the sake of complaining" variety, MANY are expressing their concern for the future of the only accessible form of a cultural "hearthstone".
Every misstep, screwup, Q&A foul-up, is scrutinized by individuals who have made the science, principles and background of the IP, a part of their own personal lives.
I would gently suggest that the current licensees of the IP consider that the collective personal financial investment of the Star Trek fanbase, across time, exceeds the overall value of the PWE company.
Aligning themselves with the expectations of that financial juggernaut may seem the more financially prudent, long term winning strategy.
This game isn't the only accessible form. You can see the tv shows every day on tv, you can buy the books in a store, watch the films/shows on DVD or blue ray, play other star trek games. Oh, and isn't there a new star trek film being made as we speak? Please don't say it doesn't count because of whatshisface who's directing, it's a new star trek film!

Every perceived mistake being made in this game by cryptic or pwe may well be being logged by some of the players, but you need to realise star trek, the trek you cherish, not the new style, is a niche market now. It's not as mainstream as it once was. That's why they don't make the shows, the old style films, etc. The old trek has had its day. You may see it as a cultural hearthstone, and that's cool, but you aren't in the majority.

People need to be realistic. Old trek is not going to bring in the numbers anymore, and you are lucky a star trek mmo even exists.
Captain
# 28
06-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wixiban View Post
This is really starting to become annoying, everyday there is at least a few new threads from people who say they don't like this, that this is going downhill Blah, Blah, Blah.

Enough is enough, The devs are doing what they are instructed to do, Cryptic is taking its direction from PWE who are now the people in charge. If you don't like go elsewhere.

The game is F2P - that means they need to generate revenue by whatever means possible, if that is changing the lockboxes to Doff packs then that's fine with most of us as we use doffs in game, we buy and trade doffs and if you can get an added bonus on a Ship or console you won't here many complaints as you are still getting what you paid for.

to recap, stop with all the Anti Dev, Anti Cryptic, Anti PWE talk, if you don't like it go elsewhere

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
Nerd-ragers gotta nerd-rage.
# 29
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utio View Post
This game isn't the only accessible form. You can see the tv shows every day on tv, you can buy the books in a store, watch the films/shows on DVD or blue ray, play other star trek games. Oh, and isn't there a new star trek film being made as we speak? Please don't say it doesn't count because of whatshisface who's directing, it's a new star trek film!

Every perceived mistake being made in this game by cryptic or pwe may well be being logged by some of the players, but you need to realise star trek, the trek you cherish, not the new style, is a niche market now. It's not as mainstream as it once was. That's why they don't make the shows, the old style films, etc. The old trek has had its day. You may see it as a cultural hearthstone, and that's cool, but you aren't in the majority.

People need to be realistic. Old trek is not going to bring in the numbers anymore, and you are lucky a star trek mmo even exists.

Quoted for truth.
# 30
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utio View Post

But what was old(TOS)is new again. Trek has lived for over 40 years and you think that somehow you can assume what the majority is? I heard Trek had had its day before and that was just a few years after it had been canceled. Trek will always have a special appeal to anyone who looks at the stars and wonders what is out there. By that reckoning there were Trekkies making cave paintings and learning how to make fire. You can't niche the unresistable.
Closed Thread