Starfleet Veteran
# 51
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Brian, You should put your post above on Starbaseugc.com !
Captain
# 52
06-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Hey Brian, great guide you posted above; very solid advice and I agree with Baz that you should post it to SBUGC.

I wanted also to drop in and thank you once more for your excellent advice in your reviews of "Finding Resolution." It has been at the top of the ratings chart for the last several days and your input played a big part in getting it there.

Listen to this guy, folks. He knows his stuff.

AJS
Captain
# 53
06-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Hmmm. Interesting comments on the Continue button. I had wondered about replacing my continue with something, but wasnt sure what. I guess making them blank buttons would not be a good move?

I'll have to fix those on my mission on your list, there are quite a few continue in it. I viewed it as continue the conversation, not as the player saying continue.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 54
06-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
I am not sure if you are referring to the title of my report "Federation Mission - You won't be borg (2/2)" which was originally labeled incorrectly but has been fixed along with a formatting error between the forums and my word doc regarding quotation marks. If you feel I do not do an adequate job in my reviews, because of that error, then by all means feel free to pull your mission from the queue. I'm sure no one else behind you in the queue would mind moving up.

Brian
Meh, was just pointing out small errors.

By the way, nice guide. :smile:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 55
06-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
Hmmm. Interesting comments on the Continue button. I had wondered about replacing my continue with something, but wasnt sure what. I guess making them blank buttons would not be a good move?

I'll have to fix those on my mission on your list, there are quite a few continue in it. I viewed it as continue the conversation, not as the player saying continue.
You can't have a blank button - If you try it just automatically reverts back to 'Continue'
Career Officer
# 56
06-25-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote:

Personally, I think it is OK to have "Continue" as a button, when the text really continues (e.g. 3 pages of dialog, on page 1 & 2 it says "Continue"). Whenever another character speaks or a dialog is finished, there could/should be something to acknowledge that there's a change in the dialog. Sometimes a simple "Understood" is enough, if you ask me.

And you should be aware that this coin has two sides. Many Foundry authors tend to overuse the button text and put A LOT of dialog or sentences in there - that pretty much destroys text flow and is often confusing. I would dare to say that most people only superficially read those buttons and don't want to have answers put into the mouths of their captains.

As with many things, you should try to hit the right balance. And be consistent in the way you use buttons.

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Captain
# 57
06-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
You can't have a blank button - If you try it just automatically reverts back to 'Continue'

Even if I just put in a space bar press?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 58
06-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Even if I just put in a space bar press?
Yes, there has to be something in there and spaces only will be removed. I typically use "..." if the captain isn't adding anything at that point.
Career Officer
# 59
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
Great in-depth guide, evil. Thanks for all the work you're doing.
Thanks. I'm glad you like the guide. I've been putting it together over the last few months in my spare time, which is why it took a few months. :smile:

Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.

Last edited by evil70th; 06-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Career Officer
# 60
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
Brian, You should put your post above on Starbaseugc.com !
I was going to but it is a little harder to do from a word doc. I am putting together a better version that should work on the Starbase. :wink:

Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.