Starfleet Veteran
# 1 SubSpace Agenda STO Calendars
06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I figure with the recent forum/website shakeup, this is probably a good opportunity to re-make the STO Google Calendar thread I had on the old forums:

In absence of a visual calendar on the STO main page, I have created a Google Blogger page called SubSpace Agenda with a calendar as the centerpiece. With this site, not only can you view the calendars, but you can filter which ones you want or don't want to show at the same time.

I have also created 5 calendars via Google Calendar which you can view individually or subscribe to:
  • STO General Calendar (HTML to view) (iCal to subscribe)(XML for RSS)
    • This calendar contains the General Events going on in-game such as Featured Episodes, HOLODECK and TRIBBLE (and possibly REDSHIRT) server updates, as well as updates to the C-Store.
  • STO Community Events (HTML to view) (iCal to subscribe) (XML for RSS)
    • These are the various in-game community events and community-based announcements
  • STO Group Events (HTML to view) (iCal to subscribe) (XML for RSS)
    • These are the various events based around group activity (5-players & up), such as STFs, Defera Borg Invasions, Mirror Universe Incursions, and The Vault event.
  • STO Fleet Events (HTML to view) (iCal to subscribe)(XML for RSS)
    • This calendar displays Fleet-oriented events such as featured projects for Fleet Starbases and Fleet Embassies, as well as other Fleet-oriented events.
  • STO Dilithium Gathering Events (HTML to view) (iCal to subscribe) (XML for RSS])
    • These are events where the primary reward is Dilithium, or a bonus amount of Dilithium. This includes but is not limited to the Academy Events, the Dilithium Mining Event, and Foundry Officer Reports.
  • STO Miscellaneous Events (HTML to view) (iCal to subscribe) (XML for RSS)
    • These are events that aren't well classified into any of the other categories.

About the various links:
  • HTML - Obtain the public URL to view a read-only version of these calendars without signing in to Google Calendar. Use this URL to view these individual calendars directly in your browser window.
  • XML or iCalendar - Use these formats to view a read-only version of these calendars from other applications. You can use this address to subscribe to your calendar feed in Google Calendar, access your calendar from feed readers (like Google Reader) as well as products that support the iCalendar format (like Apple's iCal). To subscribe to these calendars using Google Calendar:
    1. Click the down-arrow next to Other calendars
    2. Select Add by URL from the menu
    3. Find the address of the Google Calendar in iCalendar format, or if you have the iCalendar address of a calendar from a different application (for example, Apple's iCal), you can use this as well.
    4. Enter the address in the field provided
    5. Click the Add Calendar button. The calendar will appear in the Other Calendars section of the calendar list to the left.

Some other notes:
  • Sorry, the individual HTML link calendars default to a uniform color, which I cannot change (the website has multicolored calendars.)
  • Also apologies for the time formatting. All times are in Pacific Time (Cryptic Studios' Time). I had hoped there would be some way to get the calendars to auto-adjust for the user's time zone, but I can't seem to find a way (without making a completely separate calendar for every time zone, which I'm NOT doing).
    • if anyone more familiar with Google Calendar knows of a solution, please let me know.
    • until then, a semi-workaround if you already use Google Calendar and have subscribed or added these events to your own calendar(s):
      • from Google Calendar, click the Gear button in the upper-right corner
      • Click Lab
      • Scroll down until you see the "World Clock" app
      • Click "Enable"
      • Click "Save"
        • now whenever you click on an item in your calendar, you should see what time that event occurs in multiple time zones in the column on the right, and can set which time zones appear.
  • Also if you already use Google Calendar, you can format the time into a 24hour format from the default 12hr format, but apparently it only appears in that format on your machine, and won't transfer over if you try to share the calendar to someone else.

If you have some hard dates of some items that I've missed, please post them in this thread and I'll try to include it where appropriate.

Raptr profile

Last edited by direphoenix; 06-08-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
06-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I think this is a very good idea and should be used by the devs to track upcoming events and updates on the forum with players.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Also, I'd like some feedback on how often I should update the posts on the site (for those that subscribe the the "blog" of that page directly or if you follow the G+ page) and when to update this thread.

Every little update? (which seems like almost every other day)

Major updates? (define major)

Weekly updates?

Semi-Monthly updates?

Raptr profile
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
06-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Another clarification: When I was updating posts previously in the STO forum, they were already mirroring the "Upcoming Events" thread that PWE_Branflakes was updating... With the exception that I also had a link to the affected calendar so that you could SEE what it looked like and where it was in relation to the other events. So for example:

Now, another main difference between this thread and the previous "upcoming events thread" was that Branflakes could edit the OP of the thread with a simple link, which turned the OP into a giant list (which IMO is not very appealing to look at for what should be a calendar). While Branflakes "could" do something similar to that with this thread, he wouldn't be able to update the calendars, or blog, or G+ page unless I gave him Management rights on each of those... which, the more I think about, the more I wonder if I should just apply for a Community Rep position for STO and get paid to do keep doing all things myself. Hrm...

Raptr profile
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 5
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I've stickied this thread to replace the old "Upcoming Content" thread. Thanks for making it!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 6
06-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Great, now I have to go to another website entirely to do something this website is supposed to do. Nice job, really nice job... I want either the old calendar or the old upcoming content thread back!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Empire Veteran
# 7
06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I've stickied this thread to replace the old "Upcoming Content" thread. Thanks for making it!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
So when there is an update to Coming Content and Events, you will update the OP, then direphoenix will have to update the calendar?
OR
Can you, Brandon, update the info in this third party thread?
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...

Last edited by darkstarkirian; 06-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 8
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
So when there is an update to Coming Content and Events, you will update the OP, then direphoenix will have to update the calendar?
OR
Can you, Brandon, update the info in this third party thread?
It's up to them :smile: This thread is not maintained by us, just like most of the other stickies on this forum. I'll be posting up Blogs, forum posts, etc. that contain information that could be linked in these calendars if the OP chooses.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
06-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Great!!! Thanks!

Raptr profile
Captain
# 10
06-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Could you sticky the alternate version made by our great Nagus? Please? :smile:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.