Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
I like the detailed descriptions of the probes--it adds a bit to what we know of them from the series.
Ensign
# 12
06-22-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchibiclari View Post
I like the detailed descriptions of the probes--it adds a bit to what we know of them from the series.
Truth be told, most of the data about the probes has been "borrowed" as is, from the ST.TNG Technical Manual written by Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda.
Ensign
# 13
06-22-2012, 05:02 AM
8.0 CREW SUPPORT SYSTEMS

8.1 MEDICAL SYSTEMS

There is one large sickbay located on Deck 6, equipped with two treatment wards, an intensive-care unit, two surgical suites, a null-grav therapy ward, a biohazard isolation unit, a medical laboratory, a morgue/stasis containment unit, and a dental care office. Pursuant to Starfleet Medical Protocols, the sickbay is equipped with holo-emitters for the usage of the Emergency Medical Holographic system.

In its limited role as a reconnaissance starship, the William Wallace is equipped with two dedicated medical labs for field testing and investigations. These rooms mirror their counterparts on larger Federation starships by making use of scaled down devices that would commonly be found on those ships.

8.2 CREW QUARTERS SYSTEMS

Officer quarters are located on Deck 9. Enlisted crew quarters are located on Decks 7, 8, 10 and 11.

Standard living quarters are provided for both Starfleet non-commissioned officers and ensigns. These individuals are expected to share their room with another crewmate due to space restrictions aboard the starship. Two NCOs or ensigns are assigned to a suite. Accommodations include 2 bedrooms with twin beds, connected by a living/work area. A washroom with ultrasonic shower is located off to each bedroom. A food replicator and a personal viewer are located in the living area. Obviously, due to the nature of the ship's missions and the lack of facilities, families are not allowed onboard.

Starfleet personnel from the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade up to Commander are given one set of quarters to themselves. In addition, department heads and their assistants are granted such privileges as well, in an effort to provide a private environment to perform off-duty work. These accommodations typically include a small bathroom, a bedroom (with standard bed), a living/work area, a food replicator, an ultrasonic shower, and a personal viewer.

The Captain and Executive Officer of the vessel have special quarters located on Deck 2. These quarters are more luxurious than any others on the ship. Both the Captain's and the Executive officer's quarters are larger than standard Officers quarters, and this space generally has the following accommodations; a bedroom, living/work area, bathroom with ultrasonic shower, food replicator and personal viewer.

A normal class-M environment is maintained throughout the vessel, but can be adapted in 10 percent of the crew living quarters for life-forms from class-H, -K, or -L worlds. All atmospheric conditions, heating, and humidity are controllable by deck and by section. All storable gases and fluids, as well as transfer and manipulation hardware, is distributed among all decks and engineering spaces.

8.3 RECREATIONAL DECK

The William Wallace has been maximized for tactical and limited scientific usage. However, it was realised that the stress of operating at near 100 percent efficiency on a ship that is built for extended deep-space field operations can be dangerous, so there are some recreational facilities aboard.

Two standard holodeck facilities and four standard holosuite units are located on Deck 7 for group or individual usage. The phaser range is situated on Deck 7 and is stocked with a varied compliment of weapon types for leisure as well as training purposes. A well-equipped gymnasium on Deck 7 offers the crew with the necessary appliances for physical training and development.

8.4 THE LOUNGE

A large communal lounge simply called the Seventh, is located on Decks 7 and 8, which acts as the social center of the ship. The lounge has a battery of recreational games, along with two bars. The replicators have an exhaustive culinary menu, and variations can be created by the crew and stored files can be easily accessed or traded.

Large numbers of tables and chairs, as well as benches and booths provide seating for the crew. The upper section of the lounge has a dance floor, whereas the lower section which contains most of the lounge has a small dais that can be raised from the floor to make a stage area, to allow for performing arts.

Last edited by tuulof; 06-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Ensign
# 14
06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
9.0 AUXILIARY SPACECRAFT SYSTEMS

9.1 SHUTTLEBAYS

Maelstrom-class vessels are equipped with one main shuttlebay and two auxiliary bays that double as exterior access hatches for Cargo Bays 1 and 4.

The main shuttlebay houses two Delta-type shuttlecraft and the facilities to maintain them. This two-story bay is located on Decks 2 and 3 at the very rear of the secondary hull originally intended to house future weapons stores and computer upgrades. The large shuttlebay exterior door is triple-layered with compressible extruded duranium. During active operations, atmospheric integrity is maintained by means of an annular force field, which permits the door to remain open for vehicular ingress or egress without depressurizing the bay.

The auxiliary shuttle bays 1 and 2 are located on Deck 12 on the port and starboard side, and are each capable of housing two Type-9 Shuttlecraft and two Type-18 Shuttlepods. The back of each bay contains an area for servicing the Shuttlecraft, and a connecting chamber leads to Cargo Bays 1 and 4. Each auxiliary shuttlebay has two horizontal sliding hatches on the ventral side of the ship that allows access to space while a ceiling-mounted tractor beam holds the shuttle in position for launch as the doors open.

9.2 SHUTTLECRAFT

9.2.1 Type-9 Personnel Shuttle

Type: Medium long-range warp shuttle.
Accommodation: Two flight crew, two passengers.
Power Plant: One 400 cochrane warp engine, two 800 millicochrane impulse engines, four RCS thrusters.
Dimensions: Length 8.5 m; beam 4.61 m; height 2.67 m.
Mass: 2.61 metric tons.
Performance: Warp 6.
Armament: Two Mark VIII phaser emitters.

9.2.2 Delta-Type Shuttle

Type: Heavy long-range warp shuttle.
Accommodation: Two flight crew, eight passengers.
Power Plant: Two 250 cochrane warp engine, two 800 millicochrane impulse engines, four RCS thrusters.
Dimensions: Length 15.1 m; beam 8.5 m; height 3.74 m.
Mass: 102.21 metric tonnes.
Performance: Standard Cruising Speed Warp 6; Maximum Cruising Speed Warp 7.2 for 72 hours.
Armament: Two Mark XI phaser emitters.

9.2.3 Type-18 Shuttlepod

Type: Medium short-range sublight shuttle.
Accommodation: Two flight crew.
Power Plant: Two 800 millicochrane impulse driver engines, four RCS thrusters, four sarium krellide storage cells.
Dimensions: Length 4.5 m; beam 3.1 m; height 1.8 m.
Mass: 1.12 metric tons.
Performance: Maximum delta-v, 16,750 m/sec.
Armament: Two Mark V phaser emitters.
Ensign
# 15
06-23-2012, 01:50 AM
10.0 FLIGHT OPERATIONS

10.1 MISSION TYPES

It should be of little surprise that the William Wallace is designed primarily for tactical and defensive operations, and thus, its primary mission types are rather one-sided when compared to most other ships that serve in the Federation armada. While this may appear to be short-sighted of Starfleet, recent evidence suggests that continued hostilities between the Federation and threat forces means that tactical mission types will never be in short supply.

The following are the primary mission types for the U.S.S. William Wallace:

Tactical and Defensive Operations: Typical missions include protection of Federation assets in the form of colonies and space stations from anticipated threat forces.

Patrol and Interdiction: Typical missions include the patrol of established neutral zones, shipping lanes and recognized regions of dispute and/or conflict.

Reconnaissance: Typical missions include scouting of areas deemed worthy of note by Starfleet Intelligence.

Emergency/Search and Rescue: Typical missions include answering standard Federation emergency beacons, extraction of Federation or Non-Federation citizens in distress, retrieval of Federation or Non-Federation spacecraft in distress, small-scale planetary evacuation - medium or large scale planetary evacuation is not feasible.

Secondary Scientific Investigations: In some cases, the William Wallace is found to be the most suitable platform from which to perform certain scientific applications. They include experiments and research that requires increased shielding to observe certain phenomena, or a weapons platform from which to test new technologies.

The listed mission types are by no means the only operations that the William Wallace is capable of performing. Even after the initial testing of the NX-91481 pathfinder vessel, Starfleet continues to run projections on possible mission types.

10.2 OPERATING MODES

The normal flight and mission operations of the William Wallace is conducted in accordance with a variety of Starfleet standard operating rules, determined by the current operational state of the starship. These operational states are determined by the Commanding Officer, although in certain specific cases, the Computer can automatically adjust to a higher alert status.

The major operating modes are:

Cruise Mode: The normal operating condition of the ship.

Yellow Alert: Designates a ship wide state of increased preparedness for possible crisis situations.

Red Alert: Designates an actual state of emergency in which the ship or crew is endangered, immediately impending emergencies, or combat situations.

External Support Mode: State of reduced activity that exists when a ship is docked at a starbase or other support facility.

Reduced Power Mode: This protocol is invoked in case of a major failure in spacecraft power generation, in case of critical fuel shortage, or in the event that a tactical situation requires severe curtailment of onboard power generation.

During all modes of operation, the ship runs on three eight-hour shifts designated Alpha, Beta, and Gamma.
Ensign
# 16
06-23-2012, 01:55 AM
11.0 EMERGENCY OPERATIONS

11.1 LIFEBOATS

Aside from the escape options provided by the onboard shuttlecraft, the principal survival craft is the Starfleet lifeboat or escape pod. The U.S.S. William Wallace carries sixty-two of the six-person variant lifeboats, which measure 3.6 meters tall and 3.5 meters across the hexagonal faces. Each lifeboat contains enough consumable and recycling capabilities to keep the crew alive for eight months, longer with multiple lifeboats connected in standard "gaggle mode". All are equipped with navigational processors and impulse micro thrusters, plus emergency subspace communication systems. These units have been specially modified for low-observation and minimal EM signatures due to the general wartime conditions.

11.2 RESCUE AND EVACUATION OPERATIONS

Rescue and evacuation operations generally fall into two categories; rescue and evacuation to the ship, and evacuation from the ship. The former will generally involve transport from another ship or planetary surface. The latter will generally involve removal of the ship's company to another ship, a planetary surface or into space.

11.2.1 Rescue Scenarios

The William Wallace's ability to perform in evacuations is hindered by the limited amount of space onboard, as well as the small number of transporters available. With the cargo transporter reconfigured for quantum resolution transport, the William Wallace is capable of beaming aboard 275 persons per hour. Typically, this is deemed an acceptable beam up speed since the William Wallace is only capable of evacuating 550 persons from a ship/station/planet in need. The shuttlecraft aboard are also capable of assisting in evacuations.

11.2.2 Abandon-Ship Scenarios

As the Dominion War had indicated, it is quite conceivable that a starship may be lost in battle or due to other unforeseen circumstances. While Starfleet general policy dictates that all efforts must be made to save a starship, situations sometimes warrant the total evacuation of a ship. As stated before, the William Wallace is capable of transporting 275 persons in one hour. Unlike most Federation starships, the William Wallace lacks dedicated emergency transport systems. Instead, it relies heavily on escape pods to evacuate the ship. In addition, all four Type-9 shuttlecraft, Type-18 shuttlepods and the two Delta-Type shuttlecraft are brought to full operation and are capable of carrying personnel from the ship. After the computer has acknowledged that all personnel have cleared the ship, it begins to lock out all major command functions so that information cannot be stolen from the ship should a hostile force board the William Wallace before a salvage team can make it to the site. Automated distress beacons are launched shortly after.

Last edited by tuulof; 06-23-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Captain
# 17
06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Owing however, to the textual space limitation, I shall stagger the sections of the document in subsequent posts.
You could add links in the second post's table of contents directly to the section posts, for people that don't necessarily want to read straight through.

Er, never mind, this was posted before the forums got mucked up.

Quote:
Funding for U.S.S. William Wallace Provided by: Advanced Starship Design Bureau and United Federation of Planets Defense Council
Although the game has money, I'm not sure the Federation we've come to know through the show would have a "funded by" note. Just sayin'.

Quote:
1.2 DESIGN STATISTICS

Length: 343.5 meters
Width: 217.26 meters
Height: 51.72 meters
Mass: 945,000 metric tons
Cargo capacity: 42,900 metric tons

Hull: Ablative armor overlaying a duranium-tritanium composite hull, augmented by synthetic castrodium alloy structural members and micro-fiber reinforced jevonite hard points over critical compartments.

Number of Decks: 14 Total, 12 Habitable.
I like how you incorporate consoles and in-game materials. I'm curious: how did you get those measurements?

Quote:
It has a normal operational crew of 200 people, but can accommodate up to 550 in emergencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuulof View Post
The U.S.S. William Wallace carries sixty-two of the six-person variant lifeboats
62 x 6 = 372. Can the shuttles hold 128 people? 2 Delta class, 4 type 9, and 4 type 18 pods - 10 total. You'd have to fit 12 - 13 people in each of those craft to fully evacuate in the event of a ship-destroying event. Something to think about.

Quote:
A word of caution: I have taken a healthy serving of writer's prerogative and modified some of the capabilities of the starship in order to stay within the realm of Star Trek canon yet not stray away from the abilities and ideas depicted in-game. As such I would welcome feedback (of the constructive and critical type) so that I can improve on what I include in this thread.
That's always the challenge in something like this - combining reality, Star Trek canon, and game abilities. I think you've done a pretty good job. It's a bit wordy, but your descriptions definitely match BO abilities or game tactics in a plausible way, which is cool.

I did have to skim a few sections reading it just now, but it all looks pretty good. I would suggest creating a condensed version - the full length one is cool, and interesting for people who want to read all of it, but I imagine many (most) people would prefer a shorter cliff notes version. Other than the length, I like it. Very thorough & detailed. You've clearly put a lot of thought into how the ship would operate based on its structure and the in-game mechanics, and turned it into a great piece of work.

Last edited by felderburg; 06-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Ensign
# 18
06-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Although the game has money, I'm not sure the Federation we've come to know through the show would have a "funded by" note. Just sayin'.
I have always felt that the Federation must have some form of economy. After all, the resources for the ships must come from somewhere? I don't think bartering cultural artifacts or knowledge would suffice? Or maybe giant REPLICATORS! :biggrin:

Quote:
I like how you incorporate consoles and in-game materials. I'm curious: how did you get those measurements?
Conjecture mostly. I measured up the Maelstrom-class in-game with an Intrepid-class. The visual comparison made sense to me; except for the saucer section which is more wider.

Quote:
62 x 6 = 372. Can the shuttles hold 128 people? 2 Delta class, 4 type 9, and 4 type 18 pods - 10 total. You'd have to fit 12 - 13 people in each of those craft to fully evacuate in the event of a ship-destroying event. Something to think about.
Correction. The crew compliment is 200, so the shuttlecraft and lifeboats are more than sufficient to ensure that all the ship's crew and visitors can safely evacuate.

The maximum capacity of the vessel during an emergency is 550. It would be a tragedy, if the ship were to rescue individuals from a small outpost or another ship, and then get itself destroyed too!

Quote:
That's always the challenge in something like this - combining reality, Star Trek canon, and game abilities. I think you've done a pretty good job. It's a bit wordy, but your descriptions definitely match BO abilities or game tactics in a plausible way, which is cool.

I did have to skim a few sections reading it just now, but it all looks pretty good. I would suggest creating a condensed version - the full length one is cool, and interesting for people who want to read all of it, but I imagine many (most) people would prefer a shorter cliff notes version. Other than the length, I like it. Very thorough & detailed. You've clearly put a lot of thought into how the ship would operate based on its structure and the in-game mechanics, and turned it into a great piece of work.
Thank you for the feedback. I truly appreciate you taking the time.
Captain
# 19
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Conjecture mostly. I measured up the Maelstrom-class in-game with an Intrepid-class. The visual comparison made sense to me; except for the saucer section which is more wider.
Cool, I thought it might be something like that. The ships in game are pretty consistent as far as scale goes, and the Intrepid has an actual, known length, which is nice for stuff like this.

Quote:
Correction. The crew compliment is 200, so the shuttlecraft and lifeboats are more than sufficient to ensure that all the ship's crew and visitors can safely evacuate.

The maximum capacity of the vessel during an emergency is 550. It would be a tragedy, if the ship were to rescue individuals from a small outpost or another ship, and then get itself destroyed too!
See, that's what I'm worried about. If they're rescuing people, that means they're already in an emergency situation. Who's to say the emergency won't overtake the Wallace?

I just bring up the point because you seem to be going very in depth and realistic, and it just seems a bit of a stretch that a ship's maximum emergency capacity wouldn't be able to be fully evacuated.
Ensign
# 20
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
See, that's what I'm worried about. If they're rescuing people, that means they're already in an emergency situation. Who's to say the emergency won't overtake the Wallace?

I just bring up the point because you seem to be going very in depth and realistic, and it just seems a bit of a stretch that a ship's maximum emergency capacity wouldn't be able to be fully evacuated.
Well I guess then your new Odyssey-class cruiser can be helpful, so you better tag along! :tongue: