Cryptic Studios Team
# 11
06-27-2012, 07:32 AM
In order to link accounts, you will have to have a PW account.

Many (most) people, take their usual @handle/forum name/current login, and use that as their new PW name/login as well.

The problem is that since PW doesn't let you set your display name (what we actually see in the forum) to be the same as your login name (for security I assume), if you make a PW account using your old Cryptic login, you've now locked yourself out of using that name as your display name.

Instead, if you haven't linked yet, when you go to set up your PW account, make your account name something different than what you've been using. Then, set your DISPLAY NAME to your old Cryptic account name/@handle/forum name, then link.

That should preserve your forum name.

Hope that's helpful. Sorry to those that screwed up (myself included)
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Captain
# 12
06-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post

Many (most) people, take their usual @handle/forum name/current login, and use that as their new PW name/login as well.

The problem is that since PW doesn't let you set your display name (what we actually see in the forum) to be the same as your login name (for security I assume), if you make a PW account using your old Cryptic login, you've now locked yourself out of using that name as your display name.

Instead, if you haven't linked yet, when you go to set up your PW account, make your account name something different than what you've been using. Then, set your DISPLAY NAME to your old Cryptic account name/@handle/forum name, then link.

In other words...

"Tough luck, deal with it!"
Career Officer
# 13
06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
So anyone who didn't know going into making their account is boned , maybe a heads up about this before the change would of been nice. There seems to be no problem notifying us when there is something new to spend money on the the C-Store.
Career Officer
# 14
06-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:

It didn't work for me. Though customer support claimed that there was another guy using the same name somewhere on the Perfect World. Could be, could still be a frack-up, I don't know.
Career Officer
# 15
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:

Ahhh...

That's what did it...

Having never set up a PW account before, when it asked for an Acct Name, I used something different from my forum handle...

Just dumb-luck on my part, didn't even occur to me to do it on purpose.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 16
06-27-2012, 09:36 AM
At this rate, the only thing we can do to save our Identities is put something in our Sig IDing ourselves with our old Cryptic Name.

I just hope PW lets us keep our Cryptic Account in STO, else things will be thrown into chaos as we wouldn't know know who is who.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Career Officer
# 17
06-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Ahhh...

That's what did it...

Having never set up a PW account before, when it asked for an Acct Name, I used something different from my forum handle...

Just dumb-luck on my part, didn't even occur to me to do it on purpose.
Fortune favours women, children and friendly bridge dwellers named daveyny :wink:
http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/vector7_bucket/Batman-Arkham-City-The-Joker-Trailer-Banner-614x239.jpg
Banned
# 18
06-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:

Well at least The Taco Head is one of the other who got screwed on this deal...makes me feel a tab better (as in Cryptic employees got the same deal we got). :frown:
Career Officer
# 19
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephkerr View Post
Fortune favours women, children and friendly Under-bridge dwellers named daveyny
...fixed that.... :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiad View Post
Well at least The Taco Head is one of the other who got screwed on this deal...makes me feel a tab better (as in Cryptic employees got the same deal we got). :frown:

Tab was a very popular thespian many years ago...

But I'll bet you feel a tad better now. :wink:

(then again, perhaps you are feeling Tab.. I have no idea where you live or what your personal preferences are... :tongue
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 06-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I personally hope our in-game @name never becomes our forum display name. I get comments in-game all the time asking me about my old name. I'd prefer to keep it that way.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor