Cryptic Studios Team
# 1 Black/Missing Textures
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
There have been many mentioning black or what they think might be missing textures on ships, and on some environment assets.

These textures are not missing, it was an error caused by our processing the models into an in game usable form. The issues weren't noticed until we made the upgrade to DX11, which revealed them. For the most part, the black textures will only be visible with DX11 enabled. There are some who report seeing the errors in DX9 mode. We know of an issue with ATI cards that may cause this, but there are some nvidia cards that may still experience it. If you are experiencing these errors, please report them here. If you would prefer not to see the errors at all, you can try disabling DX11, or messing with your graphics settings (lighting seems to have an effect).

Many of these errant models have been reprocessed to address the issue. Most of those were brought up in some of the previous threads on the subject.

As all of those threads have been archived, I've created this thread as a place you can report such errors.

Please keep in mind that all of the reprocessing that's been done so far was done in Branch 20 (Season 6) thus, at this moment, those changes should be visible on Tribble, but are NOT on Holodeck yet.

If you are playing on Tribble, and still seeing errors, please report them here.

If it's a ship, please tell me which ship, and if you are using any special pieces/skins/etc.

If it's in the environment somewhere, please tell me where (which map) this occurred on, as well as a description of where in the map, or what the object is.

Any screenshots you can provide will be most useful.

Thanks
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?

Last edited by tacofangs; 06-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
06-27-2012, 01:27 AM
I've seen this on several interiors. but thats on holodeck and it was stated many of these were going to be fixed in s6.

since ATI cards might show it, that is most likely why im seeing it, i run a Radeon HD 6850.

I hope the fixes in S6 fix this. as i like seeing the prettyness of DX11.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 3
06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately, we have to address these on a case by case basis. As such, I know we're going to miss some of these. We'll fix them as we can. Sorry in advance.

Quote:
Captain
# 4
06-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Would it be helpful if folks submitted a screencap as well at their video card information as well as if they're running dx 9 or 11?
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
We actually don't need video card or dx 9/11 info. We know it happens, we know how it happens, and we know how to fix it. We just need to know WHAT to fix.

Screencaps are useful.

Quote:
Career Officer
# 6
06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
We actually don't need video card or dx 9/11 info. We know it happens, we know how it happens, and we know how to fix it. We just need to know WHAT to fix.

Screencaps are useful.
Does the bug report save a screenie upon submission (ie orient the camera to be looking at it, and submit)? Or do we need to take ones seperately and host them somewhere and link in the report?
Fancy an exclusive, extended 21 day trial of eve online?
Sign up (heck, it's free for almost a full month, using the link) and see what you think.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Yes, submitting a bug report will take a screenshot, as well as provide location info for us.

Quote:
Ensign
# 8
06-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Where would be the best place to take these screenshots? Most space maps are fairly dark and some of the rendering defects are hard to see at times.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 9
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
shouldn't matter, there's usually a light around somewhere that will illuminate it.

If worse comes to worst, you can always open it up in MS Paint or something, and circle the area in red.

Quote:
Career Officer
# 10
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
shouldn't matter, there's usually a light around somewhere that will illuminate it.

If worse comes to worst, you can always open it up in MS Paint or something, and circle the area in red.
Not if they use the bug report feature - we can't edit that screenshot.