Lt. Commander
# 11
06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
oooohhhh I totally missed that you were using 180 degree cannons! I guess my brain saw 'cannons' and said 'hurr he must mean DHC who uses anything else.' That's flat out brilliant! A 180 degree firing arc would make the ship way easier to manage.

Now, call me old fashioned but I like beam weapons, even though standard beam arrays are not optimal for DPS(in my humble opinion). cannons are sustained, but dual beam banks are burst, from what I've seen.

What do you think about a build that uses the double beam banks (so 90 arc), but utilizing the doffs that reduce the cooldown of Evasive Action to 48 seconds, effectively using it as a offensive ability to stay on target (one that happens to provide a decent defensive boost as well). My fleet admiral uses an oddy with this setup (DBB + evasive action doffs), and is both a fantastic tank and does surprisingly good PVE DPS.

Is this more effort than it's worth, and I should just settle with running cannons for maximum flexibility?

Would standard beam arrays on the front and turrets on the rear lose even more DPS than the cannon setup?
Lieutenant
# 12
06-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Hakaishin, you aren't in 12th fleet anymore? Why's that?
Captain
# 13
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Would this thing work with a regular cruiser? Minus the lance, ofc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Banned
# 14
06-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayezilla View Post
oooohhhh I totally missed that you were using 180 degree cannons! I guess my brain saw 'cannons' and said 'hurr he must mean DHC who uses anything else.' That's flat out brilliant! A 180 degree firing arc would make the ship way easier to manage.

Now, call me old fashioned but I like beam weapons, even though standard beam arrays are not optimal for DPS(in my humble opinion). cannons are sustained, but dual beam banks are burst, from what I've seen.

What do you think about a build that uses the double beam banks (so 90 arc), but utilizing the doffs that reduce the cooldown of Evasive Action to 48 seconds, effectively using it as a offensive ability to stay on target (one that happens to provide a decent defensive boost as well). My fleet admiral uses an oddy with this setup (DBB + evasive action doffs), and is both a fantastic tank and does surprisingly good PVE DPS.

Hakaishin: This is actually very similar to what I started with. The increase in per-hit damage is minimal to be honest, and while burst potential is slightly higher, you still sacrifice considerable overall DPS. This is better suited for PvE than PvP where maneuvering doesn't matter as much. 48 seconds is still a long time in PvP, and a lot can happen in that time. PvE it's fine, but still highly recommend the cannon setup for PvP.

Is this more effort than it's worth, and I should just settle with running cannons for maximum flexibility?

Hakaishin: It'd work, but again, far more useful in PvE than PvP due to the long cooldown of Evasives, even with supportive DOFFs.

Would standard beam arrays on the front and turrets on the rear lose even more DPS than the cannon setup?

The problem is not so much the weapon as the power drain. Power drain of beams is double that of cannons, if not more. You'd need to replace the Directed Energy Modulations for Emergency Power to Weapons just to maintain effectiveness, since batteries only go so far. This defeats the purpose, and lowers the effectiveness of the rear turrets as well. This also removes the benefit of Cannon Rapid Fire, and requires you to equip 2 different offensive BOFF abilities whereas 1 used to do the trick. It's counter-productive and far more of a headache than is necessary.
Answers in red, hope that helps.
Banned
# 15
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus19 View Post
Hakaishin, you aren't in 12th fleet anymore? Why's that?
I am a very brash man, and outspoken. My thoughts, opinions, and expressions tend to not get along well with 12th's administration, which must first look out for their 500 member base over that of one disgruntled man.

We didn't agree on a lot of things, so in the end it was better to part ways and join up with the PvP contingent in S.O.B. - good group of excellent PvPers who were kind enough to take me in.
Banned
# 16
06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Would this thing work with a regular cruiser? Minus the lance, ofc.
Yes it would. Seen Excelsiors and Sovereigns put it to excellent use.

Haven't tried with the Odyssey.
Lieutenant
# 17
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaishinlegion View Post
Yes it would. Seen Excelsiors and Sovereigns put it to excellent use.

Haven't tried with the Odyssey.
I run pretty much this, using a DBB and BO III as a sort of mini lance (with an EPtW to recover from the power drain), on my excelsior right now. It also has the benefit of looking really really awesome when firing, like you are really throwing everything at them. Im using 3x cannon doffs so CRF has a 50% chance to be up by the time it runs out.
Banned
# 18
06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus19 View Post
I run pretty much this, using a DBB and BO III as a sort of mini lance (with an EPtW to recover from the power drain), on my excelsior right now. It also has the benefit of looking really really awesome when firing, like you are really throwing everything at them. Im using 3x cannon doffs so CRF has a 50% chance to be up by the time it runs out.
Not bad at all sir. I'm partial to the shark tactics of cloak/lance, but for a substitute that is definitely a nice configuration.
Empire Veteran
# 19 Yay, Haikaishin is back ^_^
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Welcome back to the forums Haikaishin.

It is awesome to finally get my hands back onto your gal X build. Sorry to hear about your break with 12 fleet, but its good you found a home.

With you back, I am going to have to break the ol' girl out of dry dock.
Banned
# 20
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Welcome back to the forums Haikaishin.

It is awesome to finally get my hands back onto your gal X build. Sorry to hear about your break with 12 fleet, but its good you found a home.

With you back, I am going to have to break the ol' girl out of dry dock.
Should hop into some PvP together at some point, always fun to have some friendly competition.

I'm not worried about 12th, they can take care of themselves with or without me. A large group of 12th's Tactical Division (their PvP core, to which I belonged) migrated to S.O.B., so I still get to play with several of my old friends. I'd actually even go so far as to say they took a far heavier blow with their loss than mine, losing some of their best pilots all at once will make it hard to maintain a presence in competitive PvP.

S.O.B.'s been good to me, so I have no complaints.

I actually stopped visiting the forums before because Cryptic banned me. That ban was lifted here because my PW account is different than my Cryptic, the only reason I'm able to make that return.

Now watch them get a hair up their ass and ban me again, even when I'm trying to help the entire community. Wouldn't put it past them.
Closed Thread