Lt. Commander
# 91
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
These updates are some of the best "lore" writing I have ever seen for any game.

Period, full stop.
I agree, absolutely!

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 92
04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm curious, how much of these backstories are you guys actually responsible for and how much was pre-determined or otherwise had to be worked in to your ideas due to the movie script??

Essentially I'm asking if Paramount wrote the story and your publishing it because it does seem you're revealing tidbits that aren't too far removed from the tidbits being revealed in the Movie Prequel comic which is meant to drum up interest in the new film...is this viral-cross-promotional marketing at it's finest?
Lt. Commander
# 93
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
After reading this i really think you guys should be making the next Star Trek movie.
Lt. Commander
# 94
04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I'm glad everyone likes it.
What not to love something in it for every one but poor EMH...

I never wanted to work for Sela as a Romulan in Vulcan sheep's clothing anyway..
My Family safe from her train wreak. I will spend the weekend in celebration.. By Taking my old Sparrowhawk Cruiser to the Ferengi Detailers..

--------------------------------------------------------

Awen+IA Fan Sentai...
-------------------------------------------
Sentai (戦隊) is a Japanese language word for a military unit and may be literally translated as "squadron", "task force", "group" or "wing". The terms "regiment" and "flotilla", while sometimes used as translations of Sentai, are also used to refer to larger formations.

Pan Galactic Consortium, Romulan Fleet Squadron Commodore.... Ronin Legion.
Lt. Commander
# 95
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Of course, Sela, the Tal Shiar, and Romulans in general being as sneaky as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing (including the murder of Rehaek's family and possibly Rehaek himself) had been cooked up jointly by the Tal Shiar and Sela working together. Perhaps this is merely a pretext for thinning out the noble houses (and acquiring their considerable assets) to smooth the way for Sela to supplant Donatra.

Or perhaps matters are exactly as they seem.

With the Romulans. And Sela.

Riiiiiiiight.
Now that you mention it, I really, really wouldn't put it past them. I bet it's a big elaborate plot.
Lt. Commander
# 96 Awesome!
04-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Very nice, i enjoy it entirely. I like where the story is going.
Lt. Commander
# 97 What about legacy?
04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Can the Cryptic team consider the following:

Star Trek Legacy, the PC game, has its last missions happen around 2390, which is now.

It happens where the Vulcan, T'Urrel who is now the borg queen, has the final confrontation with Picard and the Enterprise-E first at DS9 where Picard meets up with 2 Klingon fleets and a Romulan Fleet and they fight out with the Vulcan, and she escapes. They meet up again with her a few hours later and she hides in a Polaric Energy Jet where she opens up a Transwarp Conduit and brings around 20 borg ships through, and then part of Star Fleet arrives, and there is a big battle, where they finally dislodge T'Urrel from the Jet using a megaton pulse to disrupt the flow. They then destroy her and the remaining borg forces.

I think this should be a part of the correct update, and I think it would be cool to somehow be able to incorporate the research of Polaric Ion Energy and the Megaton Pulses in the game.

Just wondering if this could happen.

im sure many of you have played this game, but it its a big enough part to include

So please consider this.
Lt. Commander
# 98
04-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
This is almost exactly the impression I got, as well. Reminded me remarkably of the interactions with Japan after the second World War, though I could also see some of the parallels Flatfingers drew between the Treaty of Versailles and the Path actions. I'd say it's closer to the former, though. It's an interesting approach to dealing with the Cardassians. While they obviously aren't going to count out such big factions and fan favorites as the Cardassians or Romulans, I get the feeling Cryptic is trying to downplay both factions to believably put them somewhat on the backburner (in relative terms) for Alpha/Beta Quadrant politics. Basically, they're trying to eventually steer towards a Klingon/Federation focus, which is obviously the focus of the main conflict in the setting of STO.
I can see how the demilitarization aspect of the new Federation-Cardassian treaty will remind people of Japanese policy after WW II.

However, there are several reasons why I suspect the F-C treaty has more in common with the Treaty of Versailles:

1. Japanese demilitarization was the product of being forced to accept the terms of the Potsdam Declaration, rather than signing a treaty as did post-WWI Germany.

2. Perhaps as a result of learning their lesson after the Treaty of Versaiiles treated post-WWI Germany rather shabbily, occupied Japan after WWII was administered sensibly for the most part, and serious cash for rebuilding physical and social infrastructure was provided to Japan that the Germany of the 1920s never saw. The Treaty that left Germany to fend for itself seems closer to the F-C treaty as described than to the occupation-with-rebuilding support that Japan experienced.

3. Japan, despite rearming over the years, has remained peaceful since the end of WWII. (Whether that lasts, with North Korea firing missiles over their heads, remains to be seen.) Germany, as we know, did not remain peaceful after WWI ended. This seems more likely to be the scenario created for the Cardassians since a more militaristic posture, although obviously not a matter for smiles in our real world, would make for better gameplay in a computer game like Star Trek Online.

All that said, the point that the Federation-Klingon conflict is likely to be given center stage is a good one. Still, what about the notion that a charismatic leader could appear on Cardassia Prime to claim that the Federation hosed them, stirring up nativist sentiment again? If I were writing a future history, the potential parallel of some silver-tongued Cardiassian in the 2400s with a certain corporal and failed artist of the 1920s and '30s might be too hard to ignore....

Can't wait to see where Kestrel takes all this.

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 99
04-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Phoenix
Can the Cryptic team consider the following:

Star Trek Legacy, the PC game, has its last missions happen around 2390, which is now.

It happens where the Vulcan, T'Urrel who is now the borg queen, has the final confrontation with Picard and the Enterprise-E first at DS9 where Picard meets up with 2 Klingon fleets and a Romulan Fleet and they fight out with the Vulcan, and she escapes. They meet up again with her a few hours later and she hides in a Polaric Energy Jet where she opens up a Transwarp Conduit and brings around 20 borg ships through, and then part of Star Fleet arrives, and there is a big battle, where they finally dislodge T'Urrel from the Jet using a megaton pulse to disrupt the flow. They then destroy her and the remaining borg forces.

I think this should be a part of the correct update, and I think it would be cool to somehow be able to incorporate the research of Polaric Ion Energy and the Megaton Pulses in the game.

Just wondering if this could happen.

im sure many of you have played this game, but it its a big enough part to include

So please consider this.
Sorry, but that sounds similarly terrible as adding Star Trek Armada. The only Star Trek game I know of that wouldn't add something ugly is Starfleet Academy.

I like the update, even though I'd rather had Worf and Ba'el, but the universe rarely develops the way we want it to, so that's allright.
I think it's a bit odd that Data got promoted straight from lieutenant-commander to captain. Sure, he was supposed to be promoted to commander right after Nemesis, but he never did acutally serve as one. However I can accept that since it seems that he was constantly ignored when it came to promotions (3 years ensign, 12 as lieutenant (unknown how long j.g. and how long full) and 11 as a lieutenant-commander).
I'm terribly sorry for the little daughter of the Tal Shiar leader ( I hate violence against children), but I somehow have the sneaky suspicion that he planted the bomb himself and got beamed out before the detonation. Sela doesn't get anything for being in exile, and she would have been probably killed if Donatra hadn't intervened. The Tal Shiar is the only one who profits from the whole thing.
Lt. Commander
# 100 Good Read
04-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm enjoying these histories. Especailly getting the information about Romulans who were once just the nearly faceless enemy across the neutral zone. I'm looking forward to future installments.