Lt. Commander
Ok, so I'm doing test runs of my mission in the editor and this keeps coming up; Is the pathfinding for the security detail that spawns with you seriously screwed up or is there something wrong with my map. I can never seem to get them to get past the first doorway, if im lucky i'll get one but they wont make it past the second. they'll just stand in the open doorway.

Just to be clear these are the animated doors that open and close. Is there a problem with these? Should I not use them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
You are correct they are a bunch of lemmings. I have been on Cryptic missions and lost half my team due to crates or odd cut doorways. My husband tells me that Cryptic programmers need to use nodes (invisible nav points) to tell the AI where the doorways are located. Because they try to walk through walls and I have to tell the AI to stay put while I run back after the lost ones.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Well this is a problem if it's going to happen in the regular game, in which case i need to come up with something else then those doors. its strange though since i know I've played missions with those same doors and my boffs have moved through it fine. was wondering if the Foundry used a dumbed down version of the ai for your team
Captain
# 4
06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochavez View Post
Well this is a problem if it's going to happen in the regular game, in which case i need to come up with something else then those doors. its strange though since i know I've played missions with those same doors and my boffs have moved through it fine. was wondering if the Foundry used a dumbed down version of the ai for your team
As a rule it is only an issue on the test map itself. Generally it works fine once the mission is published to the live game.

There are some exceptions however so it is always a good idea to live test a mission as soon as you publish it. Very tight spaces in custom maps can sometimes create issues.
Career Officer
# 5
06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I live-test my missions at the earliest opportunity, and so far I've found that the pathfinding issues in Foundry test mode thankfully aren't present in published missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
I know in my DS9 map they get "lost" going down the cylinder hallway on the way to see Commander Krull. Thankfully they are not needed as this is not a combat zone. Anyway if they are just "lost" they normally seem to pull it together in the published version.

I have had them in the test version get stuck in sliding doors too. So I don't put a lot of faith in the AI working 100% of the time. On the "survival map", when I tested it, I told them to stay back. I ran the course alone to make certain it was survivable.
-Wendy Black

Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2012, 05:38 AM
I've encountered this issue before as well, I'm hoping publishing (which will be soon!) will eradicate these issues, however I may put an advisory to use waypoints in if it doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-28-2012, 05:00 AM
I might experiment with this idea of using advisories as way points...

I wonder if you could get an NPC to follow Targ#1 to Targ#2 and so on? This sounds like a nice little challenge if nothing else. :smile:

The real "trick" would be to get the NPC close enough to the next one prior to the first one dying.
-Wendy Black

Starfleet Veteran
# 9
06-28-2012, 05:40 AM
There are concepts called 'pathing' and 'beaconing' that you will see bandied about occasionally. These have to do with NPC interactions with the environment. In the Foundry, all of that, what we get of it at any rate, gets put into the map at time of publish. After which NPC will act a little better, but its still not as good as a built from scratch Cryptic map with the laid down pathing.

I dont know if we are ever going to get any improvements to this sadly, because lord knows, it gets worse if you create an entirely custom environment raised about ground level, all the pathing rules seem to get thrown out the windows then