Lt. Commander
# 11
06-28-2012, 09:29 AM
J'naii - The J'naii were a spacefaring androgynous race, native to the planet J'naii.

Ever since the ep in TNG I always wanted to see more of them, sucks they were just a one ep race.:frown:
Rihannsu
# 12
06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It'd be relatively easy to do art for Horta Doffs, just adapt the inventory icons for the various Horta variants that exist already.
Actually, ThomasTheCat made Horta DOff icons months ago and gave them to Heretic. So the art part is already done for them.
Rihannsu
# 13
06-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
What do you see as the primary purpose(s) behind introducing new Duty officer species?

I'm not asking to discourage the brainstorming here - it may, in fact, come in quite handy. But I'd like to get a more solid understanding as to why more species variation is being requested.

* Are there shortcomings in the current system that new species can address?
* Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?
* Is it just a roleplay / immersion thing?
My purpose is that I'd much rather have Federation DOffs on Federation Ships rather than all the enemy species that were released. As Dan said several times, there's always that "What happened to..." aspect of Star Trek, and something simple like an icon/text change for a DOff into another race we didn't see much of is a nice little easter egg for Trek Fans who can go "Oh yeah, I remember those, cool, now I want to get more of them."
Captain
# 14
06-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
What do you see as the primary purpose(s) behind introducing new Duty officer species?

I'm not asking to discourage the brainstorming here - it may, in fact, come in quite handy. But I'd like to get a more solid understanding as to why more species variation is being requested.

* Are there shortcomings in the current system that new species can address?
* Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?
* Is it just a roleplay / immersion thing?

On the subject of new traits:
We found, from the introduction of Resolve doffs, that introducing new Traits is not a design choice that has long-term sustainability. While it still may be something we introduce in the future, we have to be sure that the amount of dev time that goes into ensuring the new Trait's viability is worth the investment. Hundreds and hundreds of work hours went into introducing Resolve and giving it a purpose, while also addressing economic and systemic balance concerns that it introduced. It's not something that we've completely ruled out, but it is unlikely that we will do something that like with any form of frequency.
New species: I personally see it as a way to get more interaction or visibility of races we've only heard of or seen briefly in the shows. Makeup and CGI can only go so far on the budget of television - with STO, you have the opportunity to make ANY race, and make them actually last for longer than one episode. Additionally, if we can't play as certain species, we can at least have them on our crew.

Plus, some species we've only heard about are pretty cool sounding - Gallamites have transparent skulls. Who wouldn't want to see that?

As far as Hortas go: they're a sentient species from a classic and beloved episode, and haven't been represented well in the game. By "well", I don't mean that they haven't been represented (because they have), I mean they should be represented as actual crewmembers, not disposable pets we send into combat.

New traits: was it such a big deal to make resolve because you made new DOff missions that required it specifically? Would adding new traits just as regular, run-of-the-mill "might or might not add to critical success" modifiers be as big a thing?

Last edited by felderburg; 06-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 15
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
New traits: was it such a big deal to make resolve because you made new DOff missions that required it specifically? Would adding new traits just as regular, run-of-the-mill "might or might not add to critical success" modifiers be as big a thing?
Traits don't contain modifiers, they are simply flags. It is the Assignment that determines whether or not a Trait influences the outcome. So in order to add a Trait to our existing library of Assignments, they'd have to be gone-thru by hand, one-by-one, and then decided whether or not to update each one to reflect the new Trait.

That's a lot of data.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
# 16
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing more prominence of the Xindi (and their sub-species) to be honest.

Of the 5 living (as of 2152) sub-species, i'd see the following:

Xindi Aquatic: Neutral (both factions)
Xindi Arboreal: Friendly towards Federation
Xindi Humanoid: Friendly towards Federation
Xindi Insectoid: Friendly towards KDF
Xindi Reptilian: Friendly towards KDF

Also wouldn't mind seeing their ships make appearances in the game. After all, by the 26th Century (100-200 years post-STO), Xindi are supposed to be a part of Starfleet. We have no idea how long they were in Starfleet. Xindi Aquatic ships were total bada$$ in the series.

Last edited by meurik; 06-28-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Edited the time between STO and 26th Century
Career Officer
# 17
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Also wouldn't mind seeing their ships make appearances in the game. After all, by the 26th Century (200 years post-STO), Xindi are supposed to be a part of Starfleet. We have no idea how long they were in Starfleet. Xindi Aquatic ships were total bada$$ in the series.
That sir, is a good idea!
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Captain
# 18
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Had to edit my previous post, as I didn't realize that STO is the 25th Century. You Americans, and using century 100 years further than current

The year is 2012, and considered the "21st" century... sheesh
Ensign
# 19
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
Had to edit my previous post, as I didn't realize that STO is the 25th Century. You Americans, and using century 100 years further than current

The year is 2012, and considered the "21st" century... sheesh
uhm, what would you call the century from 0 AD to 100 AD, the zeroth century? ordinals are one based, not zero based, that's all. If you call 0 to 100 the first century, then 2000 to 2100 is called the twenty first century
Career Officer
# 20
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Before new species are added, the old "meh" species need a boost. Species like Trill and Betazoid still have many doffs that are only 1 Traited (or at most, 2 Traited).

Trill should have Congenial as a Racial Trait. Green or better should have an extra trait or two pulled from the whole list of remaining traits.

Betazoids should all have Seductive as a Racial (That telepathy comes in handy for being able to seduce, and their culture does seem very liberal in *that* regard). Again, Green or better should have an extra trait or 2 pulled from the list of all traits.