Lt. Commander
# 121
04-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
While I enjoyed this Update I'm kinda getting tired of trudgeing through 5 or 6 pragraphs about a race that won't even be the focus of the game at launch. I am interested in what is becoming of the ROmulans but come on. You are putting more detail into them than the federation and klingons combined.
At launch, I believe that the Romulans will be one of the major sources for content. They will most likely be the PvE Antagonist to both Fed and Klingo Players.

So it appears that Cryptic is setting the stage with many avenues of Romulan based content (mulitple Romulan Factions/Groups, various plot lines, etc).
Lt. Commander
# 122
04-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
The thing is that Orion is located pretty deep inside fed territory. I think Orion is pretty close to Earth, even. Or is there really not a 'canon' map?

So I am curious how they will end up aligned with the Klingons.
Very true, though I think the point of the Syndicate is that they're very decentralized, and can run as a pirate organization through anyone's space relatively below the radar. Helps them conduct black market trade and the like without getting caught easily. So they probably gave up using Orion as the homeworld a long time ago, probably when it was inducted into the Federation sometime after Kirk, but before Picard.
Lt. Commander
# 123
04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Only 23 more years to go before we can see real action.
Lt. Commander
# 124
04-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Pretty good update Kestrel. The Romulan troubles just keep getting worse but I hope they aren't wiped out completely like some people are saying. Star Trek without the Romulans wouldn't be the same.

I really hope the Cardassians don't come to rely on the Federation too much. I guess I could see the two factions becoming allies but Cardassian people are too proud to just let themselves be ruled or absorbed into the Federation. The beating that Cardassia took at the end of the Dominion war was a bad one but not as bad as many seem to think. The Cardassian Union must have held a large amount of territory say, 10-20 star systems at least? 800 million from that is a blow but not too bad a blow. The only problem is that it was the homeworld that took the brunt of it.

I really hope the Cardassians regain their independance soon. 23 years is a long time so I guess we'll see.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the Klingon - Gorn tensions and how that will be explained. When are we going to see the Gorn pictures that Zinc promised us?

It's good to see Rom proving he does have the lobes for business

Can't wait for the next one now Kestrel!
Lt. Commander
# 125
04-06-2009, 04:06 AM
The next Path to 2409 will see the back story that outlines the premise for the upcoming movie enter into the mix. It'll be released at the beginning of May to coincide with the release of the movie.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

The entire storyline will destabilise the Romulan Star Epire potentially leading to its downfall and an alliance with the Federation. It's even likely that some Romulan worlds may join the Federation. All that I know if that after the events of the Star Trek movie, The Romulans won't be in a position to wage any wars with anyone and with the Klingons not exactly their friends, they may well turn to the Federation. This may be the catalyst for the conflict between the Federation and the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 126
04-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
I can see how the demilitarization aspect of the new Federation-Cardassian treaty will remind people of Japanese policy after WW II.

However, there are several reasons why I suspect the F-C treaty has more in common with the Treaty of Versailles:

1. Japanese demilitarization was the product of being forced to accept the terms of the Potsdam Declaration, rather than signing a treaty as did post-WWI Germany.

2. Perhaps as a result of learning their lesson after the Treaty of Versaiiles treated post-WWI Germany rather shabbily, occupied Japan after WWII was administered sensibly for the most part, and serious cash for rebuilding physical and social infrastructure was provided to Japan that the Germany of the 1920s never saw. The Treaty that left Germany to fend for itself seems closer to the F-C treaty as described than to the occupation-with-rebuilding support that Japan experienced.

3. Japan, despite rearming over the years, has remained peaceful since the end of WWII. (Whether that lasts, with North Korea firing missiles over their heads, remains to be seen.) Germany, as we know, did not remain peaceful after WWI ended. This seems more likely to be the scenario created for the Cardassians since a more militaristic posture, although obviously not a matter for smiles in our real world, would make for better gameplay in a computer game like Star Trek Online.

All that said, the point that the Federation-Klingon conflict is likely to be given center stage is a good one. Still, what about the notion that a charismatic leader could appear on Cardassia Prime to claim that the Federation hosed them, stirring up nativist sentiment again? If I were writing a future history, the potential parallel of some silver-tongued Cardiassian in the 2400s with a certain corporal and failed artist of the 1920s and '30s might be too hard to ignore....

Can't wait to see where Kestrel takes all this.

--Flatfingers
My god this has to be one of the most intelligent post I have ever read on here.
Lt. Commander
# 127
04-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Cool story
Lt. Commander
# 128
04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
Very true, though I think the point of the Syndicate is that they're very decentralized, and can run as a pirate organization through anyone's space relatively below the radar. Helps them conduct black market trade and the like without getting caught easily. So they probably gave up using Orion as the homeworld a long time ago, probably when it was inducted into the Federation sometime after Kirk, but before Picard.

I had always envisioned the 'Syndicate' as an NPC criminal faction, and that the 'Klingon/Orions' player faction would be the Planet Orion and its inhabitants.
Lt. Commander
# 129
04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree the "Orions" should be an independant faction not allied to the Klingon Empire!
Lt. Commander
# 130
04-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
The thing is that Orion is located pretty deep inside fed territory. I think Orion is pretty close to Earth, even. Or is there really not a 'canon' map?

So I am curious how they will end up aligned with the Klingons.
As far as I'm aware there really is not a canon map. Partly because there is a great deal of disagreement about where many of these "Empires" are.

As for the Gorn, Orions and Nausicans. I have to be honest I doubt these groups will end up working with or in the Klingon Empire as conquered subjects. I just don't buy Klingons fighting along side a people the conquered.