Banned
# 21
06-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Account Guard is one of the worst types of 'account security' imaginable.

It doesn't address the type of hack that actually happened to Cryptic's database in the past. Like Windows Vista's UAC, it repeatedly annoys the customer and gives a false sense of security while not actually making the account more secure. And the ten IP address limit in no way makes an account more secure, but it does present a significant risk of permanently locking a paying customer out of their game account if they move or even if their ISP simply changes their dynamic IP address range.

A security key system, like several professionally made MMOs have, is far more secure than this cheap Account Guard. But that would require spending money to implement, and it would also require that someone at PWE have a basic level of competence with computers that the recent forum transition has proven that they simply do not have.
Lieutenant
# 22
06-28-2012, 09:01 AM
It should be on the launcher...
Banned
# 23
06-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stohanson View Post
It should be on the launcher...
But that would require someone qualified to be smart enough to think of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I think its a good idea for players that want the extra security. For players that find it inconvenient, maybe the system should be optional, that you can enable on your account page. Disable at your own risk?

Edit : Apparently this option is already available. So what's all the crying about? Geeze. Use it or just disable it. I swear some people just search for something new to complain about ... wait its the Forums ..
Complaining about complaining? That always works.

Last edited by nyiad; 06-28-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Career Officer
# 24
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Where do I go to shut this thing off?

I don't want to have anything to do with it.

I can't get to the Main Menu that the F&Q instructions describe in the article...

How about a little more detail in how to disable this BranFlakes ... ???

Or perhaps a LINK ?

[SIZE="4"]Or even...[/SIZE]

How about making the F&Q with the Article actually say,

[SIZE="5"]"You Have to Contact CS at this Time to Disable it"[/SIZE]

Like it says in the Tribble Forum Thread Post.

Which means, that one can no longer sign into Tribble or Redshirt without having to use Another FORCED UPON US AGAIN... process...

Jeebus Christmas !!@!
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 06-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
Agreed, especially since when I alt-tab out of STO it's hit or miss as to whether I can get back in or if I'll just end up with a small black screen and have to kill the session.

Also, tying the browser part in with cookies is just bad. Those of us who practice "safe computing" regularly delete temporary internet files, which includes cookies. That means any time we clean house, we'll have to generate yet another email with a code.

If we have to do this to just log into the game itself, it will become very old very quickly.

Question: For game login, will this process only affect the initial login for a game session or will it kick in whenever we log out one character and bring in another? I do this quite a bit when doing Duty Officer missions.

I have this issue CONSTANTLY with my banks and have to reverify at least once a week.

This may or may not be a related issue but I will just throw this out since some of you seem informed.....

I run a blocking program a good deal of the time. I have to turn it off when I play ANY game. Except STO. Any other game the launcher wont even connect with it running. Game play is impossible. If I turn it on while in game the game disconnects. But not STO. Launcher works and game plays just fine with little to no lag. I have always wondered what was so special about STO that made it oblivious to security features that bigger name games cant get around.
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Career Officer
# 26
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine0falcon View Post
And the ten IP address limit in no way makes an account more secure, but it does present a significant risk of permanently locking a paying customer out of their game account if they move or even if their ISP simply changes their dynamic IP address range.
Nope; you can delete obsolete entries. That eliminates that concern. Edit: actually, it rotates off the oldest; that completely eliminates this concern, unless you've logged on from 10 IPs recently that are no longer under your control *AND* lost your email address. If that happens, you're a serious edge case, and CS can deal with you.

This is a good solution. Keyfobs are better, but they're more expensive. This solution will improve everybody's security, not just those willing to spend money.

Does it fix every possible problem? No. Neither would keyfobs. Security comes in layers, not panaceas.

Last edited by syberghost; 06-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Ensign
# 27
06-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I was just wondering who exactly you have to contact when you don't recieve the email, I went to log into the tribble server and came across the account guard for the first time, now I've searched my e-mails and even the spam and there's nothing in there but the 2nd anniversary and some pre-order on a random game.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 28
06-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi Captains,

There seems to be some confusion. These questions and answers should help:

Quote:
Q: I use a wide range of IPs through my ISP, and change it frequently. It sounds like I will need to opt-out of Account Guard because I am easily going to be hitting the max IPs allowed?

A: Users with changing IPs on a single computer will not need to opt out of Account Guard. Account Guard performs its security checks against your computer or your web browser, not the originating IP. Your last originating IP, however, will be visible to you under the "Manage Account Guard" on the Cryptic Billing Portal.

Q: When this get implemented to the game, am I going to have to alt-tab out of the game to get this code? If so, can this be added to the launcher instead?

A: Account Guard, which is currently available on our test shards, will be implemented into our main clients in the near future. When that happens, users will receive an e-mailed code to proceed into the game. However, once the code is entered, Account Guard will work silently to verify the security of your account whenever you log in from that computer, regardless of its originating IP. A new code will only be required when you log in from a different computer.

Q: Do we have to enter a code every time we enter the game or website, or does it just apply when buying ZEN?

A: As of 6/28/2012, the web portion of Account Guard is only active on the Cryptic Billing Platform (secure.crypticstudios.com). The Cryptic Billing Platform allows you to manage your secure account information, and can be accessed from your account page on the Perfect World Website. Once you have saved a web browser (Billing Platform) and a computer (Game Client), you will not need to submit another Account Guard code unless you change computers (for game logins), or clear your specific browser's cookies (for Cryptic Billing Platform logins on the web).
Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Ensign
# 29
06-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Once you have saved a web browser (Billing Platform) and a computer (Game Client), you will not need to submit another Account Guard code unless you change computers (for game logins), or clear your specific browser's cookies (for Cryptic Billing Platform logins on the web).
So I have to enter the code everytime, when my browser deletes cookies by default after it`s been closed, right?

That are a lot of e-mails.
Captain
# 30
06-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Full link is https://secure.crypticstudios.com

Which is why I couldn't find it on my PWE account page....

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinat0r View Post
So I have to enter the code everytime, when my browser deletes cookies by default after it`s been closed, right?

That are a lot of e-mails.
Turn it off. That's what I did. I regularly purge my browser, so it would be more annoyance than it's worth.