Republic Veteran
# 11 Followers
06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
In the ground STFs the campers have started following, so while they are active, they are not helping.

One player was begging us to report him dareing us to try and get him band from playing.

Dont forget to include all the options when thinking about a solution.
Captain
# 12
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantrainor View Post
But that player in this hypothetical situation hasn't put in any effort, really.
They've just rolled up to pvp thinking they already knoiw it all and got beaten by a more experienced player. What I, personally, would like to see is that player going away from that match with a reality check, saying to themselves "wow, I have got alot to learn if I want to play like that guy/get those awesome pvp rewards. I better get started on upping my game" as opposed to "**** that!, too much work".

Don't get me wrong, in general I agree with you; we don't want to be driving off fresh-meat-I-mean-new-players.
There's just no easy solution to the problem. Too much rewards for poor play and it's too carebear for the hardcore, too little rewards for poor play and it's too hardcore for the carebears, who may be put off.
That's the thing, isn't it? We want more participation, but you don't want to kill incentives for potential new players in the PVP field.

The newbie maybe should not get the same level of rewards as actual contributors, esp. compared to the "leaders" of a match. But the newbie should have reasons to come back, and good enough rewards are nice to offset the gaping holes freshly made on the hulls of their ships. Again, I just don't want a system put in place that makes a fresh PVPer feel that his time in PVP is wasted and counterproductive. And thinking some more on a Kick Vote, I definitely don't want that to occur as a griefing tool. I don't want to see a system that kicks out a struggling player actually trying to PVP because the other elitists on the team don't like his "numbers" for the match.

We should be ensuring we find ways on getting people to try and come back to PVP. Anything to make it more exclusive is counterproductive.

I enjoy coming across familiar names and fighting alongside and against them. But honestly, PVP can always use new blood in any game. It will only be better for us all in longevity and variety.

There's of course more things outside the rewards and a AFK-kick that needs to be done for the sake of improving PVP.
Super Moderator
# 13
06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroon View Post
Most games I play have a rather nice solution for PvP Kickvotes:
1. Everytime you report someone AFK, it counts up a hidden counter. If it reached a certain amount, it neglects your voterights for a period of time, to circumvent abuse.
2. If enough players reported someone AFK, he gets a debuff. While having the debuff you don't get any rewards. Only way to remove it, is by doing something actively (fighting).
The debuff counts down a minute or two, which kicks you from the game afterwards.
3. When you get kicked, you get a (nonremoveable) debuff. While having it, you can't queue for PvP.

It's a simple, working solution.
I like it.

It's harder to use as a griefing mechanism, because all the debuffed guy has to do is shoot to get back in the game. (Though following + autofire could be an issue here)
Ensign
# 14
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroon View Post
Most games I play have a rather nice solution for PvP Kickvotes:
1. Everytime you report someone AFK, it counts up a hidden counter. If it reached a certain amount, it neglects your voterights for a period of time, to circumvent abuse.
2. If enough players reported someone AFK, he gets a debuff. While having the debuff you don't get any rewards. Only way to remove it, is by doing something actively (fighting).
The debuff counts down a minute or two, which kicks you from the game afterwards.
3. When you get kicked, you get a (nonremoveable) debuff. While having it, you can't queue for PvP.

It's a simple, working solution.
Sounds very good to me.
Career Officer
# 15
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
The first time I tried one of those PvP things (due to the tutorial mission), it started downloading. (The micropatching thing... over my crappy connection.)

Once it finished, I had time to look around for maybe 30 seconds trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do, and the match ended. :redface:

I don't even know if we won or lost, or what team I was on. :tongue:
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I guess it require abit of work. Maybe too much work.
Noone.