Lt. Commander
# 71
03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy86 View Post
I can't believe some of the things I saw people say they wanted to do with this game. Are there really people who are so mindlessly dull that they want to sit in front of their computers as a Trasporter or Comms officer and just wait for the cool kids to tell them what to do? Do these people lack any form of human ambition? I couldn't imagine the horribly dull life of someone that all they get to do is cut hair or stair at one information panel all day in a game. Those two experiences are completely at the mercy of PC's wanting to come in and interact with you. Why? I just lack any understanding for why someone would want those jobs. Sure on occasion those characters are cool but that is because they TAKE COMMAND of a situation and do it well. Do people really want to sit around at the mercy of a Captain and just do what he tells them to. I just can't understand that feeling.

Thank you STO team for doing the job as it should be done. Everyone should be a captain of a ship. There is no better way to give a person a feeling that they are in control of their own destinies. I look very much forward to this game and can't wait to hop in a science vessel, fly it out to an unexplored part of space and maybe meet somebody no one has ever met before. And if someone has beat me to it I'll just fly past that star and on to the next. I look forward to this game and keep up the good work.
I think that there are people out there who would appreciate a game in which everybody had his own part and role. I woul very much like to be an engineer, but i'd hate to be a hairstylist.
Maybe there is somebody who likes to be a hairstylist and meet with the people who tell him about the action i dont know, but i concurr that not every job should be offered.

But if i look at RPG-forums where hundreds of people are something very different than a captain and still have fun, i cant imagine that there wouldnt be people doing something else. Also it can be cool to just watch and be conn. Furthermore you'd be in command when the higher officers are offline, so in fact there are those times when you are on top.
However i think cryptic made the right choice. The game will be great i am sure
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
I can't believe some of the things I saw people say they wanted to do with this game. Are there really people who are so mindlessly dull that they want to sit in front of their computers as a Trasporter or Comms officer and just wait for the cool kids to tell them what to do? Do these people lack any form of human ambition? I couldn't imagine the horribly dull life of someone that all they get to do is cut hair or stair at one information panel all day in a game. Those two experiences are completely at the mercy of PC's wanting to come in and interact with you. Why? I just lack any understanding for why someone would want those jobs. Sure on occasion those characters are cool but that is because they TAKE COMMAND of a situation and do it well. Do people really want to sit around at the mercy of a Captain and just do what he tells them to. I just can't understand that feeling.

Thank you STO team for doing the job as it should be done. Everyone should be a captain of a ship. There is no better way to give a person a feeling that they are in control of their own destinies. I look very much forward to this game and can't wait to hop in a science vessel, fly it out to an unexplored part of space and maybe meet somebody no one has ever met before. And if someone has beat me to it I'll just fly past that star and on to the next. I look forward to this game and keep up the good work.
i couldnt agree more the ones who are *****ing about the player crews are megalamaniacs with some kind of short comming that in some way they have to beable to boss around someone.and why would anyone want to be at the mercy of some frak stick who thinks he or she is better then everyone online.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I just found where this thread disappeared to, days later, because of the contest debarcle.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...47&postcount=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenshae View Post
I want to say it and I know there has been a thread already closed for this link and I might get banned or this could be completely futile:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Awenyddi...aig-Zinkievich

I feel that they chickened out. Making up waffle to come up with a reason to not do it. Yes, everyone can and probably does want to be a captain but here is the key question I have:
Why can't we guest on someone else's ship? Controlling a "pet" crew member from our ship for a mission or something? Have both one person controlling a ship and multiple as an option; why can't that be made? Why did that not occur to them in all those three hour sessions?
For the boring parts:

You wouldn't be sitting in a room. You would be tending your own ship. It is something that those who can "multi-task" would enjoy most. A case of switching between cameras, from your captain to your engineer.
I think it should probably have been editted and stuck into the locked NPC / PC thread.
Lt. Commander
# 74
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Quote:
I can't believe some of the things I saw people say they wanted to do with this game. Are there really people who are so mindlessly dull that they want to sit in front of their computers as a Trasporter or Comms officer and just wait for the cool kids to tell them what to do?
Why do opponents of player crews always trot out "transporter chief" or "comm officer" as examples? What we proponents want is the ability to be a senior officer -- Chief Engineer, CMO, Ops, etc. -- in a position to give advice to the Captain while attending to the administration of a shipboard department (Engineering, Medical, Operations, etc.). All this can be done with nothing more than roleplay, so long as multiple players are allowed on the Bridge with access to the relevant shipboard statuses.

Yet still the "Who wants to stand in a transporter room all day with nothing to do 99% of the time?" straw man remains popular. The mind boggles.

Powers &8^]
Lt. Commander
# 75
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
The one that sticks out for me is "hairdresser" which has cropped up three times now in Cryptic interviews. "Where do we draw the line on player crew?"

Maybe where you drew the line on NPC crew?

I hope they're being sincere when they say they haven't ruled out multiplayer ships eventually. Just sometimes I wonder. Anyhow, over it. Moving on. Happy about other stuffs. Going to my happy place.
Lt. Commander
# 76
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers
Why do opponents of player crews always trot out "transporter chief" or "comm officer" as examples? What we proponents want is the ability to be a senior officer -- Chief Engineer, CMO, Ops, etc. -- in a position to give advice to the Captain while attending to the administration of a shipboard department (Engineering, Medical, Operations, etc.). All this can be done with nothing more than roleplay, so long as multiple players are allowed on the Bridge with access to the relevant shipboard statuses.

Yet still the "Who wants to stand in a transporter room all day with nothing to do 99% of the time?" straw man remains popular. The mind boggles.

Powers &8^]
Yes because being the ship's Engineer playing some sort of mini game to keep the red pointy thing within the desired parameters on the meter would be so stimula............. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Lt. Commander
# 77
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
You're forgetting the possibility of chatting among friends. Lots of friends would like to be on same ship in different roles and then there could be bonuses to having actual players perform NPC pet functions and some tasks like rotating shields in battle and re-routing power to different systems couild be done by Chief Engineer and there would be battlefield functions done by tactical officers (the firing probably split between captain so he has something to do; maybe tactical aft and side photon/phaser launchers and captain firing forward weapons. Science officer would also have lots to do in battle, for example detecting signatures of special weapon buildup (yes, I brough those in again ).

And there's always the holodeck to train in battle exercises to improve your phaser proficiency, etc.

In between battles, what does the captain do? Just point a ship to go somwhere. And then there's nothing but chat.

I know where Cryptic is coming from catering to the kiddies with the whole "I wanna be Captain now", but starting low and building up would make the Captainship a hell of a lot more meaningful. Plus some people might not choose to become Captains at all if their specific skill set just grew higher and higher while acting in a different capacity on the bridge and they would be highly sought after.

For example, the best time I've ever had in WoW was when I was leveling my druid to 15. All the weapons and gear were so crappy. The world seemed so big and terrifying and the glorious gear of the higher levels so unnatainable and grand. That is the feeling we want to engender. Once you reach 80 in WoW and realize there's just the raiding grind, honestly the game is not fun anymore and tons of people quit. This is why it has been confirmed that Blizzard's market share of MMOs is holding up and expanding because of tons of new players.

And friends would like to stick together on the bridge of the same ship and train different skills. Plus, you're forgetting if we do get women in the game (not to be sexist or anything) a lot of them may not be drawn to combat at all, and if we know anything about good and successful guilds or fleets (especially those that use vent), it's the women that make up the foundation.
Lt. Commander
# 78
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever

I know where Cryptic is coming from catering to the kiddies with the whole "I wanna be Captain now", but starting low and building up would make the Captainship a hell of a lot more meaningful.
Strange that there's virtually thousands here on this board that aren't "kiddies" that didn't want player crews though. I'm rather closely associated with @ 80 to 90 people all age 20+ to 50+ with not a one that I'm aware of that supports player crews.

Nice try mate, but that lame bird just ain't going to fly no matter how many times it gets thrown up in the air.
Lt. Commander
# 79
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers

Powers &8^]
Let us break this down shall we....

Quote:
Why do opponents of player crews always trot out "transporter chief" or "comm officer" as examples? What we proponents want is the ability to be a senior officer -- Chief Engineer, CMO, Ops, etc. -- in a position to give advice to the Captain while attending to the administration of a shipboard department (Engineering, Medical, Operations, etc.).
And what do you do when the captain does not need the advice of the Engineer, Medical or Ops officers? What is their content when the game does not call for their roles? Do the sit in Ten Forward and drink?

While the use of terms like "Transporter chief" ect... might seem hyperbolic to you. It is accurate that not everyone on a player crew can be someone who will be involved in the "action" at all times. In fact outside of the Captain of said player crew all characters will have to "wait their turn".

"But design content that involves everyone you might" say. That is far easier said then done. Even the writers of Trek could not include every major character in every episode, and they didn't have to program methods for those characters to interact with the sets or scripts.

Quote:
All this can be done with nothing more than roleplay, so long as multiple players are allowed on the Bridge with access to the relevant shipboard statuses.
All that is need is access to the bridge and to the relevant statuses? Really because that's all the Chief Engineer or Medical officer do is have access to the relevant statuses?

If it is roleplaying alone why do they even need "access"? The roleplayers creed (I should know I am one) is that my character knows things I do not.

Quote:
And - "Cryptic can add PC crews it is easy." remains the retort. Yet none of these people have come up with a way to solve the simple problem of content. How do you make content that is engaging for more than just a Captain in a PC crew? You can't.

If you argue that you don't need content then you really are not looking for an MMORPG, you are looking for a Graphics heavy sim.

If you argue that content is important, but fail to solve the above problem then you've added nothing to the conversation.

I argued for the "Officer of the Deck" solution to this, yet even at that we (Me and a few other old timers around her) failed to create perpetual and engaging content for even a bridge crew on a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 80
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
I know where Cryptic is coming from catering to the kiddies with the whole "I wanna be Captain now", but starting low and building up would make the Captainship a hell of a lot more meaningful. Plus some people might not choose to become Captains at all if their specific skill set just grew higher and higher while acting in a different capacity on the bridge and they would be highly sought after.
And this is where you lose all respect by essentially name calling because Cryptic didn't give you what you want. Instead you are the one that comes off as the "kiddie".