Ensign
# 1 Issue with patching
06-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Hi all

I haven't played STO for a few months, so I thought I'd dust it off and play. So, I fired up the launcher, logged in, and it duly started to patch.

The patching hadn't got very far at all before it stopped and it locked up my computer. I couldn't move the mouse, switch windows, use the keyboard or anything. The only thing I could do was to power off my laptop at the power button.

Thinking that maybe I caught the server at the wrong time, I tried again later in the day. Same thing happened.

A few days later, I tried again, this time leaving my computer for a few hours, in case I was just being impatient. When I returned, it was the same situation. Computer frozen, very little patch process, couldn't do anything. So I had to power it off manually again.

I tried again just now, leaving Task Manager active at the same time, see if it was a memory problem. But it didn't appear to be, and the computer duly froze on me again.

As you can imagine, this problem is very frustrating. Not only can I not play STO, but being forced to do a hard power down of my laptop cannot be good for the long term.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or anything similar? Or is it just me.

For information, I am running Windows Vista Home, with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2GHz, 3GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance.

--- Vice Admiral Edwin Q. Obernius, USS Huggbees
Ensign
# 2
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Nobody else has had this issue then I take it.
Captain
# 3
06-29-2012, 02:42 PM
No problems for me here, though there's been a fair number of patches the past month that I have already on. With full lock ups it sound like there may be other issues on your system besides the STO launcher. Is your anti-malware up to date and has it done a scan of your system recently? Any other games you play, and are they running fine?
Ensign
# 4
07-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Hi, thanks for responding.

I've actually did a malware scan recently, and there was nothing untoward there. Also, all my other games and applications seem to be running fine. The problem remains confined to the STO launcher, which is frustrating.