Lt. Commander
# 1 Doomsday Machine . . . 2 ?!
06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm working on a new mission in the Foundry where you will get on-board a Doomsday Machine & use it against the Borg.

The Doomsday Machine uses a pure Anti-Proton beam as it's sole armament.
Anti-Proton Beams are the the most effective particle weapon again Borg vessels.

The one Kirk defeated wasn't actually destroyed; They just overloaded it's power source into collapsing.
Since I doubt Starfleet would just leave something with that much destructive potential (being capable of destroying entire solor systems) just floating around,it stands to reason that they must have done SOMETHING with it.
With the continuing invasion of the Borg in Federation space, why wouldn't they try to use this weapon to their advantage?

Anyway, the servers are about to go offline right now.
So I'll just have to leave you with that.

What do YOU think of this idea?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
If you can find it *cough* *cough* FASA did a module for their Star Trek RPG that included a second Doomsday Machine. I;m sure it;s available somewhere on the net *cough* *cough* but it has some decent background material if you want to flesh out the mission. It was called "A Doomsday Like Any Other" and had interior maps.

Not sure if that helps or not but I wanted to mention it.

It appears what you;re suggesting was covered in Peter David's novel Vendetta. I haven;t read it myself but it;s discussed on the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doo...cal_references
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
If you can find it *cough* *cough* FASA did a module for their Star Trek RPG that included a second Doomsday Machine. I;m sure it;s available somewhere on the net *cough* *cough* but it has some decent background material if you want to flesh out the mission. It was called "A Doomsday Like Any Other" and had interior maps.

Not sure if that helps or not but I wanted to mention it.

It appears what you;re suggesting was covered in Peter David's novel Vendetta. I haven;t read it myself but it;s discussed on the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doo...cal_references
Actually, that information does nothing for me.
Actually, isn't that the novel that STO's current Borg threat storyline was based on?
Also, STO has a second Doomsday Machine as well. That's how I got my Hargh'Peng Torpedoes. ^_^

I already knew this & it has no bearing on my mission, but thank you for sharing.
It was very considerate of you, and I also thank you for not being a jerk about it like some other people I've had to deal with on these forums since before launch.

Would you like to be notified when the BETA mission is available?
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I think you'll find the Foundry community is a bit nicer than the STO community as a whole.

As for me I like the idea, I think I would do it as a two-parter. A mission to find and reactivate the original one would be fun. Could be a good excuse to have people trot out their space suits! Or make it a shuttle mission. Obviously you can't mandate these things, but you can tell people they'd have more fun with them than without them.

Then the second part is all about using it, or its weapons, against the Borg.

You could condense that into one mission, of course.

You know, Kirkfat over at Starbase UGC is running a contest to create a sequel to a TOS episode. The prize is a picture of spock signed by Leonard Nimoy. This would be a prime candidate.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I think you'll find the Foundry community is a bit nice than the STO community as a whole.
I don't mind discussing ideas and concepts. Spoonfeeding and the inability to search is what bugs me if you haven;t guessed by now.

I was suggesting the module (which *cough* I have open here in front of me *cough*) has some detail which could be used as a basis for flavor text. And backstory on where those things come from.

Was started all that is I could have sworn a mention somewhere that the first machine was driven into the sun or for whatever reason was no longer with us. Kind of like how that cloaking device from ToS is basically understood to have failed once it got into a test environment. Worked fine once on the Enterprise but never again. I couldn't find anything though. Maybe it was one of the Blish books.....

My thought about Starfleet is that they don;t like very large weapons and this would count as one of them. get some captain with a few drinks in him or her, grab the killer and go straight through to the Klingon homeworld. I seem to recall a number of episodes in both ToS and TNG where "Oh we've signed a treaty. Your race can't have such a weapon. You must give it to us so that we can destroy it and no one can have it."
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
True, superweapons aren't really the Federation's style. But hey, desperate times...

I'll have to go watch that episode again, was a pretty good one.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah.
Kirk flew the U.S.S. Constellation (another Constitution-class vessel) into the mouth of the DM and blew the Warp Core via timed explosive.
This episode is one of the FEW episodes I've seen so far since I've started watching TOS that actually gives me a personal reason to actually like Kirk.
I'm starting to warm up to him in Season 2.

Anyways, I appreciate the suggestions for reference in regards to backstory, but I fear the rest might just cloud my own creativity until I gave up. (wouldn't be the first time)

Are you serious about that contest?!
I'm gonna check that out as soon as I get home.
Right now, I'm sitting outside of a closed Starbucks, and using it's perpetual WiFi via my iPad. ^_^
You really think this mission could win?
If so, you may be one the VERY FEW players that might like some of my other missions.
Like the single-player STF I made as a M.A.C.O. Recruitment Simulation.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier_Q
Right now, I'm sitting outside of a closed Starbucks, and using it's perpetual WiFi via my iPad. ^_^
You too, huh?
Starfleet Veteran
# 9 This was MY post
07-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
I'm working on a new mission in the Foundry where you will get on-board a Doomsday Machine & use it against the Borg.

The Doomsday Machine uses a pure Anti-Proton beam as it's sole armament.
Anti-Proton Beams are the the most effective particle weapon again Borg vessels.

The one Kirk defeated wasn't actually destroyed; They just overloaded it's power source into collapsing.
Since I doubt Starfleet would just leave something with that much destructive potential (being capable of destroying entire solor systems) just floating around,it stands to reason that they must have done SOMETHING with it.
With the continuing invasion of the Borg in Federation space, why wouldn't they try to use this weapon to their advantage?

Anyway, the servers are about to go offline right now.
So I'll just have to leave you with that.

What do YOU think of this idea?
Just so everyone knows, after linking my account, all of my previous posts do not display my name on them.
So, I am letting everyone know exactly whose idea this was.
Thank you.