Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
1- Escort command does not work when issued on a ship of opposing faction. Aka a Klingon carrier cannot issue escort command on a Federation ship. The Pets will sit next to the klingon carrier doing nothing.

2- Intercept mode only functions if there are no enemy ships firing on the carrier. If carrier gets shot the pets ignore their intercept command and go attack the hostile ship (ignoring incoming heavy torpedoes, etc). All in all the intercept command is mostly useless.

3- Attack command is broken. Pets do not reset their target after they kill their first assigned target. For example, assign pets (just after they are launched) to attack a borg bird of prey. They do so. You change target to a borg raptor... the pets will not fire on the raptor they will instead fly around shooting at random targets. Setting Recall order and Attack again does not fix it. Nor does unselecting attack and re-selecting it.

4- Birds of Prey flight patterns are counter-productive. They fly towards target in an arc, pointing their nose away from target until they are almost at collision range ...this prevents BoP's from using their guns. When they do their attack run they once again fly willy-nilly in circles not firing anything but its useless turret until by some galactic fortune the enemy ship moves itself to a position where the BoP can actually fire its guns at it.

Finally, the birds of prey attack from completely random directions making their firepower utterly pointless since it is just diluted damage among different shield facings.

#3 and #4 were bugs created when the pet AI was worked upon several patches ago.


Please return BoP AI to its pre-patch condition (they would run to target together at high speed, fire weapons and return to carrier at top speed when recalled ...and they reacted quickly which made them very easy to control. Now they are uncontrollable).


Suggestion: Change the carrier commands.

Attack: Same as it currently is now.

Intercept: Change it to a special attack order: Pets will fly directly to target, fire ONE volley with their special abilities (rapid fire, high yield, etc) and return quickly to carrier..and repeat the procedure.

Escort: Make it a toggle option in the sense that if you order pets to escort a friendly they will do so until the escort command is removed or recall ordered. Currently the escort command does not work since the instant you engage an enemy ship and have to target it the pets stop escorting the friendly.

Recall: Same as it is now except PLEASE get rid of the silly formation thing. It just messes up pet AI. If anything just have the pets sit on the respective hangar side (hangar1 = left side, hangar2 = right side) of the ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 180
# 2
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
3- Attack command is broken. Pets do not reset their target after they kill their first assigned target. For example, assign pets (just after they are launched) to attack a borg bird of prey. They do so. You change target to a borg raptor... the pets will not fire on the raptor they will instead fly around shooting at random targets. Setting Recall order and Attack again does not fix it. Nor does unselecting attack and re-selecting it.
My pets move to attack whatever hostile I am targeting. They are so responsive at this that I get a little annoyed at times (for example, when they pull off a gate in KASE because I hit a pack of probes with gravity well). "Attack" always appears to function as "attack my target" or "assist me" for my pets.

I would like a second attack command that had them stick with an assigned target until it was dead.


In any case, I don't have them flying around picking random targets as you describe unless I leave them in Intercept mode. Speaking of that...



Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
Intercept: Change it to a special attack order: Pets will fly directly to target, fire ONE volley with their special abilities (rapid fire, high yield, etc) and return quickly to carrier..and repeat the procedure.
Ugh, personally I'd hate having carrier craft constantly yo-yo'ing between me and targets like this. The only time this even sounds remotely nice is if one strike would kill the target.


For me, I'd like an assist/attack what I'm attacking command, a focus on a target 'till it's dead command, a real escort command that does anything or perhaps functions as a means to shoot down incoming torpedoes and fighters (like how I thought Intercept is meant to be used) on the selected friendly, "fire at will" command that lets them engage freely, and the recall.
_______
equal parts cynical and helpful
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 3
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized View Post
My pets move to attack whatever hostile I am targeting. They are so responsive at this that I get a little annoyed at times (for example, when they pull off a gate in KASE because I hit a pack of probes with gravity well). "Attack" always appears to function as "attack my target" or "assist me" for my pets.

I would like a second attack command that had them stick with an assigned target until it was dead.

In any case, I don't have them flying around picking random targets as you describe unless I leave them in Intercept mode. Speaking of that...
Observe them more carefully. Currently the system is set so that if you have the attack order highlighted the carrier is sending a 'attack my target' order every second to the pets. Now, all pets except the bird of prey do this with no problem. Bird of Prey however has a big problem in the way their AI receives these orders because it seems the BoP's have their own 'target' list and they 'choose' targets to much faster than the once per second carrier command spam... so you end up with your BoP's obeying one attack order and then ignoring the next one because they ordered themselves to attack something else. This is an old, old glitch that has been called to cryptic's attention too many times. It is not fixed yet..and in fact was introduced when they begun messing with the AI.

The 'attack until target is dead -or- I manually order it to attack something else' used to be how the pets obeyed your orders..and it worked wonderfully. Now its not.



Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized View Post

Ugh, personally I'd hate having carrier craft constantly yo-yo'ing between me and targets like this. The only time this even sounds remotely nice is if one strike would kill the target.
Think about it. If the pets are coming back to your ship after each attack run that means they will be hitting the target together at the same time... not circling the target like idiots firing at all its shields and being rather ineffective.

Quote:

For me, I'd like an assist/attack what I'm attacking command, a focus on a target 'till it's dead command, a real escort command that does anything or perhaps functions as a means to shoot down incoming torpedoes and fighters (like how I thought Intercept is meant to be used) on the selected friendly, "fire at will" command that lets them engage freely, and the recall.
assist/attack as you describe it is the current attack command. Focus till its dead its how it USED to be. Escort command should be a mix of intercept and escort I agree... and the 'fire at will' is already in game: just dont highlight any orders.


Here's a video I took before Cryptic started screwing with the pet AI. Notice how the BoP's responded INSTANTLY to recall commands (rushed to my carrier's side) and most importantly... they ATTACKED together firing at the same shield facing of the enemy. Look at the effectiveness of the BoP's back then compared to now.

The damage they do now per torpedo hit is just a tiny bit less than back then ... but if you see today, a BoP 'pass' does CRAP damage because the BoP's hit the target from all directions...whereas back then all 4 would hit the same shield...first 2 BoPs would slam the shields down and the next two would inflict very good damage on the target.

http://youtu.be/xuQpeQxF2s8

Last edited by cmdrskyfaller; 07-02-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM.