Career Officer
My wife and I were just talking about the fleet ships, how to get them, etc., and it occured to us: Why not make fleet ships be harder to get in the future (more work, not more money)? A Military tab in the fleet window would appear once the shipyard is up and running with 1 to 5 (depending on tier/number of drydocks). There could be a waiting list for ships being build for fleet members that would each move into one of the drydocks and then have a number of requirements over a small period of time to build the ship, for example a line of 5 fleet supply missions not unlike the ones used to build the starbase. As usual, anyone who contributes would get paid fleet credits (or something else?).

After the ship is finished, the player who was waiting for it would receive a token to pick it up from the shipyards.

To me, that's the fun part, however my wife and I thought of this for one specific reason: Seeing the shipyards actually in use. Imagine having ships in various degrees of construction inside the drydocks, sparks flying out every once in a while from various parts being welded. Imagine a fabrication facility that included large material fabrication work going on outside the facility in zero G. The animations wouldn't have to be in fleet defense scenarios, but for just visiting the base it could be really fun.

Further, this could be an extension of Duty Officer work, three tabs for each of Military (Tactical), Engineering, and Sciences to do very specific Fleet activity, everything from fleet communiques (the easiest things) to fabrication of materials and equipment and building of ships.

KDF would probably include a brig on the station, though I notice that despite the ban on slavery there is "forced labor" duty officer work and seling prisoners to Orion slavers. Shouldn't that be taken into consideration for animation as well?

Yep, thinking way in the future and outside the box. Can't wait to find a job so I can pay for the lifetime membership and start working on the Foundry as well. Lots of ideas.
Commander
# 2
07-03-2012, 08:03 PM
This would be an interesting approach for all the Fleet equipment imagine going down to engineering and seeing engineers assembling a new prototype engine. Or going to the Science labs to see a bunch of Pakleds with singed eyebrows frantically trying to get the newest shield emitters working.
Career Officer
# 3
07-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswaggert View Post
This would be an interesting approach for all the Fleet equipment imagine going down to engineering and seeing engineers assembling a new prototype engine. Or going to the Science labs to see a bunch of Pakleds with singed eyebrows frantically trying to get the newest shield emitters working.
Sweet! I'd semi-thought of that as well, but also thought it might be over the top. Also wouldn't mind seeing Binars ;-)