Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Captain
# 13
07-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
If you're going to play more of a support role with your carrier, you could take Attack Pattern Delta 1 and 2 to buff people when they start taking focused fire and it will debuff everything that shoots them. You could also take Attack Pattern Beta 1 and 2 as it will increase your damage on your target, but also increase the damage from all of your fighters and teammates and anything else that's damaging your target (friendly NPCs, map hazards, etc.).

With such an abysmal turn rate, you should probably stay away from anything that has a 45 degree field of fire, because you'll have trouble keeping your nose on anything that isn't sitting still. Of course, there are situations where many of your targets will be doing just that, so you might carry different weapons in your inventory to take advantage of those situations. Regular cannons with their 180 degree field of fire are much easier to keep on target, since you need to worry less about keeping it in front of you and worry more about keeping it from getting around behind you. It is for this reason that some science skills will be more easily deployed than others. Things like Gravity Well and Tyken's Rift require you to face your target, but Energy Siphon has 360 targetting. Again, different tools for different applications and different situations.

With such a slow-turning ship, you would normally benefit from maintaining further distances, as a short turn of your nose makes for a lot of distance out at 10km, but your cannons and turrets would experience degraded performance with increased distance, encouraging you to move in closer to attack. There will probably be many times where your carrier will spend most of it's time in close combat actually going in reverse, just to keep things in front of your ship while allowing you to keep some speed going for maneuvers. Just remember, it doesn't matter how awesome the DPS is on a weapon if you can't actually shoot it at your target, and the more seconds you spend not shooting it at your target, the lower that "S" multiplier gets.
Quote:
I use a Vo'Quv as an Engineer also, I think its best to just go with 6 beam arrays. I use GW frequently in STFs, and its not hard to open with GW then turn and broadside. If GW comes up again and you aren't facing your target and want to use it sometimes there is another nearby target to switch to, or just shift your speed almost all the way down and use evasive manuvers to qucikly turn and face your target and GW.

As a carrier you accelerate slow, and will often be fighting at long range, cannons and turrets don't work good past 5k, so beams are the way to go, but the carrier doesn't have the turn rate for DBB.

Don't listen to the guy saying he is sorry you bought the Voquv because its a big slow target, some people just don't know how to play carriers. With my eng in a voquv I am frequently at the or near the top in damage and kills in arena pvp, while still leading the team in heals to since I use heals in every sci slot I can, and I die less due to being able to tank like a cruiser. I frequently get comments in zone from the other team saying stuff like "damn carrier", and in STFs commenting how fast I bring gates down.

You should just make sure to use 2 hangars B'rotlh Bird of Prey refits from the dil store. Make sure to keep them recalled when before you start a fight so they stay cloaked and don't attack the wrong target. Then when you are within 15k click attack mode, and close range to 10k yourself so you can support with fire, the BOP usually should be hitting the right targets, if not you can always switch to their target and kill it off quickly it won't last very long against the games most damaging carrier pets. Also you can click recall mode then attack mode again to help get them on target. Relaunching more BOP during combat also helps make sure they are on target.

Anyway, having pets isn't attack wrong target isn't a big problem for me, just practice timing your pet commands right and you should be ok.

Also wanted to add that I think its more important to run 2 tac teams on a carrier, then take FAW3. Won't leave you room for attack paterns but lets you tank much better with continuous tac team.

Okay i have to stringently agree with these guys. Th Vo'Quv turns like a cruiser, treat it like one.

Like the second guy quoted said stick to beam arrays your speed and turn rate make using cannons or beam banks an excersise in futillity and the drop off on them means you really need to be inside a few KM to see the best usage out of them.

He's also spot on about having double tac team and beam fire at will 3. Withut double tac team you cannot efectivlly survive fire from multipule enmies using sheild tanking, you end up not being able to transfer fast enough for 20 secons out of every 30. You can hull tank in the Vo'quv, but it's not what i'd call the best at it. You really need double engeneir slots for that as double engeneering team is kind of vital to it, (with Hazrd emmitters and a couple of sheild heals to back you up if you find your team and AuxtSIF on Cooldown, a quick sheild heal can buy you the 10 seconds or so you'll need even though it doesn't last long).

I'm not sure i agree about grav well though. It really needs precise and often timely placment for best effect, the Vo'Quv is poorely suited to that. Whilst not necesserilly a "great" skill, Feedback Pulse 3 may be your best Cmdr skill. Energy Siphon 3 for the Lt Cmdr skill is a good idea though. You can't get high uptime unfortunatly due to your single copy, but if paired off with your target subsystem abilities it's a lot of drain on a single system. Comined it with plasmonic leech if you have the consle and quite a few PVE ships will lose a subsystem or two. Especially if you run polerons and they proc during that window of opportunity.