Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Career Officer
# 11
07-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Great question. The ship I find most iconic for Klingons is the D-7. It has a certain majesty and danger about it. Especially with that fly-over shot in the motion picture (and the music!).

However, the ship I identify most with the Klingons would certainly be the Bird of Prey. I also have a special place in my heart for the Vor'Cha, since it was my first Klingon Star Trek Toy which was gifted to me after a serious accident. It seriously made me feel better.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Commander
# 12
07-06-2012, 06:24 AM
There where two (three?). I can't decide which one would be the most iconic Klingon ship. The D7/K't'inga was the first, the most majestic BUT it's not the most distinctive. As you can see there are two similar models and there's a third one - Vor'cha.

That's why ultimately I would say that Bird of Prey is THE most characteristic Klingon ship. What is more - It looks really menacing. As if it really was a living Bird of Prey
Captain
# 13
07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I guess it depends on what age group one belongs to. Put up a pic of a D7 and everyone knows it's a Klingon ship, even my wife knows that. A pic of a bird-of-prey (LOL, which model ??) would net "a spaceship" from the wife.

Being 'old school' I'd have to say D-7, it's been relatively the same ship since the series first aired almost 50 years ago, and almost as iconic is the Romulan Warbird, you simply can't say the same for Enterprise, it's gone thru at least 7 incarnations thru the years.

...Interestingly is that the 'Bird-of-Prey' is a Romulan ship, tho not exactly cannon is that the Romulans and Klingons shared technology at one time and the 'Bird of prey' likely fell into Klingon hands because of this.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG

Last edited by lordmalak1; 07-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Captain
# 14
07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Until the TMP movies, the Klingon D-7 cruisers. Since that's what was only shown.

But ever since The Search For Spock, hands down it became the Bird of Prey, in whatever size it may be (or mistakenly be, as with TNG).

Even in the shows, the various Birds of Prey have been the preferred ship of many prolific Klingon captains. Maybe because the archtype is (still) the longest, continuously built kind of hulls in any navy, and therefore the most numerous.

Hell, even by the time of the Dominion War, a powerful figure such as General Martok, who was in charge of all KDF forces and military efforts based out of DS9, was on a Bird of Prey when he ventured out.

Chancellor Gowron has chosen as a flagship different ships. A Negh'var, Vor'Cha, and he too never shied away from the workhorse of the fleet, the BOP.
Career Officer
# 15
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
...Interestingly is that the 'Bird-of-Prey' is a Romulan ship, tho not exactly cannon is that the Romulans and Klingons shared technology at one time and the 'Bird of prey' likely fell into Klingon hands because of this.
Even more interesting, is that the first drafts of ST3, had the bad-guys being Romulans. The "Bird of Prey" was apparently commissioned originally as a Romulan ship, hence the "wings painted on the bottom". Later revisions had the ship still of Romulan origin, with Kruge (a rogue Klingon acting outside his authority) stealing the BoP from the Romulans.

onscreen though, it's quite canon that it's a Klingon ship.
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None
Career Officer
# 16
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by podsix View Post
Even more interesting, is that the first drafts of ST3, had the bad-guys being Romulans. The "Bird of Prey" was apparently commissioned originally as a Romulan ship, hence the "wings painted on the bottom". Later revisions had the ship still of Romulan origin, with Kruge (a rogue Klingon acting outside his authority) stealing the BoP from the Romulans.

Just posting to say I really dig your signature I wish I had photoshop skills lol
Captain
# 17
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by podsix View Post

Aye, Klingon it is- complete with the borrowed name of the class and Romulan paint scheme.

...At least those clowns Berman and Braga managed to fix the ships lineage.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG

Last edited by lordmalak1; 07-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 18
07-06-2012, 11:03 AM
By far the D7/K't'inga. I never liked the BoP because it's not Klingon. I never understood why the changed the script in ST:III. Kruge stole a Romulan Ship because it had a cloaking device and he could therefore infiltrate the Federation and investigate the Mutara Sector.

A cloaking device goes against everything the Klingons are. They don't hide from their enemies, they die with their eyes wide open. But because of this slight change it became cannon and is now part of their history. I like them but when I see the wing design it is obviously Romulan to me.

I can't wait for the Fleet Starbases to be available so I can craft my own T5 K't'inga!
Captain
# 19
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
To me, the iconic Klingon is the D-7. That hull style (pod, neck, flared out "wingy" main body w' nacelles on ends, and deckhouse) just screams "Klingon" to me, whether it's the classic TOS version, the TMP K'tinga, or the TNG-itized Vor'cha, much as saucer (arrowhead), neck, secondary hull, pylons, nacelles = Enterprise.

However, since the BOP went Klingon in ST III, it's the most reused Klingon ship, and therefore the one the majority of people would most likely recognize as Klingon. Heck, it was a BOP that ended the careers of two Enterprises (Kirk's in ST III, Picards in Generations). Sadly, I'd have to recognize the BOP as the "most iconic" Klingon ship...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Commander
# 20
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
The Vor'Cha.

The D7 just looks silly; not at all menacing ("ball" front end, overall frailty)... which is a crime for a Klingon Ship.