Career Officer
# 81
07-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
Would love to know how confirming an email code and getting a cookie is considered spyware.

Warden scanned your computer. Are you seeing that here?
The application is storing device information so it can where you are accessing the game. And I certainly hope they are not relying on client-side verification like a cookie to determine this information. That would make this incredibly unsecure.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Captain
# 82
07-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
The application is storing device information so it can where you are accessing the game. And I certainly hope they are not relying on client-side verification like a cookie to determine this information. That would make this incredibly unsecure.
I believe it is using cookies -- the launcher adds a cookie to IE....
# 83
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Day two no access. Going a little crazy. House is clean, and since I had nothing better to do I waxed the floor too... It's all shiny now, but I'm not sure the carpet liked it too well...
Ensign
# 84
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
We are expanding our new security feature this Thursday to the Star Trek Online and Champions Online game servers. Read more to learn how this new feature helps to improve the security of your account.

Click here to read more.
Thank you for this FREE tool, it will help keep my account safe. Can't wait for it on holodeck.
Ensign
# 85
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Why is it that only Cryptic users can disable the account guard, and PWE users cant? There is no "Settings" tab in My Account, or "Main Menu" button in the billing section for us. I'm starting to think this was done just to weed out PWE f2p players.
Starfleet Veteran
# 86
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
What idiot created this application? It doesn't take in the possibly of the player moving or on vacation away from the main computer, and you have to use two of these account guard for the web site and the launcher, so you really only have 4 other moves. Cryptic and Perfect World, this is a very bad idea. You need to come up with another way to allow to guard an account. Maybe ask a bank with online banking on how they guard account information, and use that a model because there's none of these have a limited times in using the web site.
Ensign
# 87
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Not overly impressed with this. It's a reasonable idea, fairly unobtrusive and I can opt out. That's the good points

The bad point is it seems my son, to impatient to wait for the code to arrive in his email inbox pressed cancel. It returned him to the login screen and this time he wasn't asked for a code so was effectively able to bypass this "account guard".

I've just tried this myself. Got asked for the code. Hit cancel and was returned to the login screen with a message to contact support.

Tried to login again and this time I wasn't asked for a code, so was able to effectively bypass the account guard as well
Lt. Commander
# 88
07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds007 View Post
go Here: https://secure.crypticstudios.com/startrek/menu

Once You Login, There Is An Option To "manage Account Guard"

If You Can't Get The Email.. You Need To Open A Support Ticket.

Thank You!!
HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png

CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
Career Officer
# 89
07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
the main problem with this system is it gives people a false sense of security. Make no mistake about it, this system does not secure your account our your personal information in any way. In fact, it will make it harder for you to get your account back if it is compromised.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Career Officer
# 90
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ychild View Post
Maybe ask a bank with online banking on how they guard account information, and use that a model because there's none of these have a limited times in using the web site.
The bank accounts I handle were sent Authenticators, and we (my company) was charged $50 each. No thanks.