Career Officer
# 281
07-02-2012, 01:11 AM
We really need the option of putting the player's face in the dialogue box, that way we can have a better means of having the player as part of the conversation. Is this possible? Also, I for one really need the ability to have the player's character go to a map alone. Having 4 lackeys following your captain in every situation is ridiculous. The player is alone in multiple Cryptic missions, most notably the recent Jem'Hadar featured episodes. Please put this in for season 6.
Career Officer
# 282
07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
We really need the option of putting the player's face in the dialogue box, that way we can have a better means of having the player as part of the conversation. Is this possible? Also, I for one really need the ability to have the player's character go to a map alone. Having 4 lackeys following your captain in every situation is ridiculous. The player is alone in multiple Cryptic missions, most notably the recent Jem'Hadar featured episodes. Please put this in for season 6.
I agree with the need for the option to send the player somewhere alone. This would be very much appreciated.

I'm not so sure of putting the player's face in dialog boxes. I have the feeling many authors wouldn't take enough care to make sure that the player-dialog is neutral enough. I, at least, would be put off by my character saying things he usually wouldn't say.

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Career Officer
# 283
07-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
I agree with the need for the option to send the player somewhere alone. This would be very much appreciated.

I'm not so sure of putting the player's face in dialog boxes. I have the feeling many authors wouldn't take enough care to make sure that the player-dialog is neutral enough. I, at least, would be put off by my character saying things he usually wouldn't say.
Yeah I understand that, but I think most authors have the player at least say a little, the continue button doesn't give you much room to say anything, and to have the player talk in the same box as another character isn't a good option. The way I see it though, in order to give a decent story and decent dialogue, the player needs to open up a bit and allow the dialogue to go outside of what his character or what his boffs might say. There's no way to predict what species the player or boffs are. Are we not supposed to use contractions, because the character may be an android or a Vulcan? Where does it end?

The way I see it, the player should pretend that entering the Foundry is like entering the holodeck, you may not be playing your own character. Picard was a very different person when he was playing Dixon Hill, for example. I'm here to tell a story I want to tell, and like everything else, there's no way to please everyone. I do intend to put warnings in the mission description. I.E. this story assumes your character is/isn't....
Career Officer
# 284
07-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post

I'm on this boat, some times I'll run into things that I would never say squished into the tiny response button.

What I've done is put an implicit response on the button.

So instead of "Show me the money" I have "Demand the money"

This way it allows the players to imagine how they want to word the response but still keep the story going the way I want it to. I've only had one complaint about it so far so I think it's working.
Career Officer
# 285
07-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Whenever I write dialog for BOFFS, I imagine they are Vulcan, TBH. So I neither use contractions nor overt humor. I think that works - and to me it's very important.

I know there should be some suspension of disbelieve when playing a Foundry mission. But many authors already manage to squeeze in "unatural" dialog (for my captain) into the tiny buttons. I think giving them entire dialog options would make matters worse.

I tend to do similar thing to zorbane, where the buttons have brief answers, that leave room for the player's imagination as to what exactly their captains say.

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Lt. Commander
# 286
07-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey47 View Post
Check out tribble, or at least the tribble release notes, it'll show you everything that's been added to the Foundry so far. About your wish for Caitians to be a costume race option, they already are, but you first must purchase the playable Caitian from the C-Store.
ok I don't get that, why should it matter if I own the caitian character to make one as an NPC when I can't use them in the real game? Heck they're available as premades already.
Lt. Commander
# 287
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Is it the same deal with Delta Flyers as it is with Caitians? Gotta own them to use them in the character editor?
Lt. Commander
# 288
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
So I'm doing Perfect World a favor by making story content for them and help keep the player base entertained, and Perfect World wants me to pay them for the privilege if I want to use certain models in the process? I don't think so.
Captain Gordon Lightfoot, USS Edmund Fitzgerald

Check out Firefly Fleet: http://serenitystation.forumotion.com/
Rihannsu
# 289
07-07-2012, 06:26 PM
some things you just can't use, whether you have them or not.
Ensign
# 290 foundry future
07-08-2012, 02:02 PM
will the foundry be linked to the new fleet starbases, so users can create there own "guild hall"