Lieutenant
# 21
07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Cryptic really doesn't have to do anything. If you look at the Star Charts, Tholian space is along Gamma Orionis. All they have to do is just add a sector next to Pelia and it will still fulfill that line about "bordering" UFP and Klingon space. Since technically Gamma Orionis is bordering all three factions (and the Borg).
That's true, but it could confuse people now that the Tholians have been introduced near the Neutral Zone, having to get to their territory by using the Transwarp Gateway and travelling that distance might make a few people raise their eyebrows.

Of course, that's assuming they don't add a quicker way to get there, which they probably would. I just think that having the zone entrance in the centre of Eta Eridani makes it easy to access for both factions, regardless of the propper location (I suppose Gamma Orionis could be higher up on the galactic plane, after all)
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusashorn View Post
Only one problem: Those books aren't canon and the great majority of Star Trek as we know it wasn't established until the 2nd movie and TNG. You could say that in a manner of speaking, TOS has retconned itself out of Trek cannon just because of how cheap it's production values were, and how it's nearly 50 years old, where-as the rest of the series followed one right after another with very little time in between their productions.
This is why I consider what is canon and isn't a murky and subjective affair at best, for me, the stuff that stems from the DS9 relaunch, and the stuff in 8 of 5's guide to the Star Trek books excellent flow chart is a good continuation from the TV series. At that point all the authors collaborated and ended up respecting eachothers stories and ellaborating on them, it wasn't like the 90's pocket books era (of which some are still good). DS9 relaunch, Destiny, Lost Era, Typhon pact, Vanguard etc, it all fits in with eachother. Like T'Prynn from Vanguard is in some of Elias Vaughn's flashbacks in the DS9 books from his time with Starfleet Intelligence. I'm not saying it's the only canon, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the most concrete continuation. It can be accepted or dismissed as people see fit of course, but aside from one or two books, the standard of Trek is really, really great. And if you ever wanted to continue on in the Prime Universe as opposed to suffering the depredations of JJ Abrahams, they're definitely the way to go. I love them, and I whole heartedly encourage you, my fellow Trekkers, to check them out. That's where my passion on this subject stems from, not a desire to be right, but to share some really killer Trek stories with fellow Trekkers.
Career Officer
# 23
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadama View Post
That's true, but it could confuse people now that the Tholians have been introduced near the Neutral Zone, having to get to their territory by using the Transwarp Gateway and travelling that distance might make a few people raise their eyebrows.

Of course, that's assuming they don't add a quicker way to get there, which they probably would. I just think that having the zone entrance in the centre of Eta Eridani makes it easy to access for both factions, regardless of the propper location (I suppose Gamma Orionis could be higher up on the galactic plane, after all)
I don't think people really care anymore, after all we had Borg in the middle of Federation Space before they even invaded Gamma Orionis. Then later being everywhere.

Sometimes I feel like they have a dartboard with all the sectors and like "okay, where the dart lands, X happens".
Career Officer
# 24
07-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
whenever time travel or the mirror universe is about.. the tholians aren't to far behind.
Exactly.

Enterprise's In a Mirror, Darkly
retroactively puts a serious spin (if you pardon the pun) on the original TOS story, The Tholian Web. It was never clear if the Tholians of the Mirror Universe - who stole the Constitution-class Defiant through a spatial interphase - were at all familiar with the Tholian Assembly of the prime (ours) universe. I wondered what the Assembly made of the interphase situation. Had Kirk and the Enterprise merely fouled the Tholians investigation of the interphase or were they (the Assembly) complicit with their Mirror counterparts?

Does the Tholian Assembly even know what's happening on Nakura?
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.

Last edited by psiameese; 07-07-2012 at 08:53 PM.