Career Officer
# 1 Thw wander settings
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Hello!

So I have been on and off with Foundry and in the recent time, I will probably soon publish my first foundry mission. With that said, I need some help with the wander ability.

I know that ships and ground enemies don't move around with the wander, idle, etc till the map get published.

So my question is if there are any standards attributes to put on the wander selection and all that. cause I don't have any idea what numbers to put on all the options to make them act "normally". I need something to go on, just for the first publish so I don't need to take it down and up just to get the standard wander, idle option.

Thank you.
Career Officer
# 2
07-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I would also appreciate some tips (or even a tutorial) on wander settings.

So far I wasn't able to get any sense out of them. The only thing I was able to make my ships do was slowly spin around.

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
07-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Here you go:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ers-of-wander/

Here's a great list of tutorials:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/

I can tell you a couple things right now: First I think ? and people can correct me if i'm wrong ? that space wander is broken. The ships just spin in space.

Also I just used ground wander in a map and I can tell you that setting the speed to 10 makes them jog and 5 makes them walk at a good natural pace.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Also if you try to make groups wander, the NPC leader of the group will walk but other glide around him. In short, one member drags the group and since they are not receiving the animation cue to walk they glide.

Path nodes was explained to me by my oldest son. He said they work like a child's dot to dot puzzle. He says if you every played GTA 3 or 4 the reason people don't end up walking down a street or into a brick wall, they program using path nodes. So a path node at one point on a sidewalk tells the character to head direct to the other corner and not walk in the street.

I think?? The reason we don't see a change on Kirkfat's video when he increased the nodes. The map has no obstacles to overcome. Maybe try those nodes on DS9 or some interior maps? Really since I see characters getting stuck all the time, I doubt they work well at all.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Career Officer
# 5
07-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I never saw groups glide around the leader? In my experience they all move around completely independently. Is this a recent problem because I haven't seen it.

Space wander does seem to be broken though.

Generally for the speed if you set it to the minimum or a little bit above they'll walk. Higher they'll start running.

If you want to get a feel for it yourself I'd suggest just making a "Test Mission" of a single ground or interior map. Put a bunch of Federation groups in it and set their wander to various speeds and see which you like.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Career Officer
# 6
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu View Post
I think?? The reason we don't see a change on Kirkfat's video when he increased the nodes. The map has no obstacles to overcome. Maybe try those nodes on DS9 or some interior maps? Really since I see characters getting stuck all the time, I doubt they work well at all.
I haven't watched Kirkfat's video, but it's possible that it was from a long time ago when things weren't working right. Maybe the wander time was also too low so that they completed the wander behavior before hitting all of the points?

With the path nodes, you'll see the NPCs move to a point and then pivot at that point. Even if there aren't any obstacles, they should still do it. You'll see them walk a line, then turn walk again, and do that for each node. When they get to the final node they'll stop. One of the other settings, I believe it's called Wander Idle Time, sets how long they remain paused, before wandering again. However, if the wander behavior ends before that pause time ends then they'll switch to another behavior.

Basically the more path nodes the more intricate routes they'll walk, and how long they'll continue before pausing (with only a single node if they hit an obstacle they may stop very soon after starting). If you want them to walk mostly in a straight line, or only change direction a couple of times then set 1-3 nodes. 4-5 nodes seems pretty good even for complex terrain. I'd only go above that amount if you really want them to wander a very long distance (in that case set wander distance to a high setting) or act sort of erratically (low wander distance, maybe fast speed?).

Lt. Commander
# 7
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Yep... I tested it out. They must have fixed it since I used it last. They don't slide anymore.

But the nodes are like my son said. I did a test online and the character with 1 node ran back and forth between two points. When you up it to 15 max., the character ran all over the place to multiple points.

It would be nice to have more control on those nodes. It looks like they just toss them out at random. The characters never wander off very far even when the values are maxed.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Career Officer
# 8
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it's all completely random. Supposedly they are planning to make it so we can set custom paths eventually.