Captain
# 1 Where are the Galaxy Captains?
07-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Why aren't many people using the Galaxy Class Ships in STF's and PVP? I can tell you a couple reasons. One is that the cruiser is crippled by a very slow turn rate tha doesn't make since, because the are larger ships that out turn it. Another reason is that it has no modifiers, thus bringing no benefit to owning one. Just bringing sauser separation is not a bonus because it doens't boost anything for you and many ships not can separate, and their pets have more effecttive support tactics than the Galaxy Sauser. This Cruiser has little DPS properties so its very hard to do alot in Elite STF's and since torpedos barely put wear on shields, the ship is difficult to be affective in PVP. The Galaxy attracts the most attacks in PVP not because its the biggest threat but its the easiest target or kill. This is due to the lowest deffense: turning too slow to rotate a facing shields, not being able to get attackers off your stern, and not being to dish out damage that would deter attack for being in so bold and close.

I am a Tac Captain who is still try to faithfuly fly my Galaxy to represent true canonism and weather the difficulties of using it in this game.

What are your thought?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Well, I think the Galaxy has just a crappy BO layout. I like ships that are as close to canon as possible, and the Galaxy ingame doesn't reflect that. It is an exploration ship, mostly tasked with science and exploration in the tv show.
Lt Commander science instead of the Ensign eng. and I would fly it. Turnrate is ok for a fat cruiser.
Captain
# 3
07-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Maybe just because you can get the exact same layout, +2k hps, +15% shields, +1500 crew in Operations Odyssey....
Banned
# 4
07-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Ordinary Galaxy-R has almost no use, in my opinion. Odyssey can do everything the Galaxy-R can do, with more hull, shields, customizable BOFFs, saucer sep + utility, etc.

I do however still fly a Galaxy-X, because to date no other ship has been able to match its ability to instantaneously eliminate any opponent from the engagement at whim.
Captain
# 5
07-10-2012, 06:42 AM
I have a bunch of people in the fleet who fly exclusively Galaxy Rs. They aren't bad ships (I have a decent cannon build for one myself) but as above posted they are a bit outdated compared to the '25th century' giant cruisers.

If the ship were say, 1200 CP it would be worth it but as it stands, just get 400 more c points (or 500 more Zen next week) and get a Operations Odyssey if you want to play with saucer separation.

Although the Galaxy-R is definitely not underpowered or useless as some make it up to be, dollar for dollar as a c-store ship, it's not worth the purchase. No, not even for the classic looks... unless you really want the Galaxy model for roleplaying purpose or like me, just trying to be funny buying the worst ships and having fun with them.

You'll end up with the same conclusion though - Odyssey is superior.

Now, if someone gave the Galaxy R a universal ensign or a Lt. Cdr Science boff, that would be a worthwhile and unique ship type. But it ain't gonna happen.

So you might as well get a Dreadnaught or an Odyssey for a endgame cruiser.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Career Officer
# 6
07-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
One is that the cruiser is crippled by a very slow turn rate tha doesn't make since,

OK, I'm sorry for the off topic but this is something you continually repeat.

The word is "sense", not "since".

To answer your question all of the Galaxy Captains are flying better cruisers, which is basically all of them.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 07-10-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Banned
# 7
07-10-2012, 07:02 AM
I've stated in another thread... don't care if the ship is canon. Don't care if the ship even looks like a bird getting ass-r4p3d by a rhino.

If it is functional and does what I want it to do, I will use it.

Aesthetics don't mean a whole lot in PvP. If anything, if given the option, most of my fellow PvPers would probably paint their ships neon pink and swap out the warp nacells for d1ld0s and fly under the banner of the great Starfleet Tactical Wing "Pink R4P1STS".

Their opponents would be too distracted to actually pose any real threat. Brilliant tactic on their end, I might add, particularly given it is an unintentional side-effect of our sense of humor.

That said... Galaxy-R offers no real incentive to fly it versus the Odyssey or Galaxy-X (particularly if Cryptic wasn't trolling and gives the Galaxy-X saucer-sep as well).

So when I see it on the other side of the field, I have come to the following conclusions:

1.) My opponent is new to PvP.

2.) My opponent is a seasoned PvPer and is trolling his team for lulz.

3.) My opponent is a seasoned PvPer and is trying to prove a point that the ship is sub-par by comparison to others available.

4.) My opponent is a seasoned PvPer, but just not a good one.

Regardless of which conclusion is the correct one, the end of the match is still the same.

Still, I can't say too much... many have said the same of the Galaxy-X.

I actually STARTED using the Galaxy-X as a joke. Just to troll people with probably the most laughed-at ship of the time (back then, even the Galaxy-R was considered superior).

After enough victories, enough videos being made of what the ship can do if used right, that changed.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Peoples views may change on the good old Galaxy with the fleet ship yards from starbases !!!!!

For one this old timer may and will become a solid tanker.
Tex says...... hey
Captain
# 9
07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
You mean it will be only "slightly worse" instead of "plain worse" compared to Operation Odyssey ? You will still need to purchase parts for it on C-Store and you will need separation console from old G-R. So in the end, it will be much more expensive, and statwise inferior version of Op Odyssey.
Banned
# 10
07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettlemicky View Post
Peoples views may change on the good old Galaxy with the fleet ship yards from starbases !!!!!

For one this old timer may and will become a solid tanker.
That's the last thing you need. I remember fighting you already.

You're already too much tank.

Last thing you need is MOAR T4NKZ!