Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 658
# 681
07-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
I tend to send people spare weapons that will do the job better if they seem to be held back

I have a few spare items banked I would never personally use (polaron for example im not jem hadar so I regard them as not any use)
That's a interesting thing to do - there are certain non [borg] weapons that can potentially do impressive damage in the right hands, or allow the team to do attacks that the AI cannot react to.

Spare pulsewaves, sniper rifles and a compression pistol or two might be worthwhile to give out in case you see a team with DPS or control issues. My tactical toon somehow dishes out immense damage with her tetryon compression pistol.

Believe it or not when ill prepared players get a hard time at elite grounds some of them adopt a stubborn mentality and will just fight it out to the bitter end, while veterans just ragequit and leave. This is where I find to be the perfect time to go into instructor mode for their benefit. School of hard knocks, as they say.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 234
# 682
07-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post

On one hand ground elites are better handled by pre-teams, fleets or ESTF / proSTF channel players. On the other hand sometimes you get very good teams in PUG elites, or good new tactics to try out with experienced players.

But most of the time you get half the team comprised of people who seem to be using Mark X common weapons, can't even shoot down a normal drone and that's where most of the frustration comes from. It's apparently a good idea in some peoples' minds to skip the normal STF learning stage and go right to Elites in the hope of getting prototype gear.

.
By the way. Do you know a channel or klingon fleet there is some training for CGE? There is no training in my fleet. And I don't want to run CGN or CGE with pug. I got strong and persistent irrational fear of leaver
http://i.imgur.com/RVocq.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 683 Interesting turn of events.
07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
There I was...............

I PuGed into a cure normal space.

I see four oddys but I say 'Hi' anyway.

No responce as usual.

(I could probably just copy and paste the first few lines of my tales of terror from my other tales of terror.)

Anyhow.........

I buzz on over to the right side and start killing nodes.

No help.

I look back and see all four oddys packed around the Kang blazing away with their technicolor rainbow beams set on stun.

I type, 'A little help please?'

Someone types, 'why? you're an escort, you should be able to do it all yourself.'

I'm like 'Hu?'

I shut down and parked. I was peeved.

I immediatly went off on their technicolor rainbow beams set on stun and weak blankidy blank oddys.

Then I turn around and killed everything but lost the optional by about 5 seconds.

Now for the fun part.

I parked again and watched them try to kill the carrier (or whatever it is).

They were begging me to help.

I say, 'Why? Your technicolor rainbow beams set on stun and super duper oddys should be able to handle it.'

Almost 30 minutes later I gor tired of watching and typed, 'lose the POS rainbow technicolor beams and build a REAL ship.'

Someone says 'FU'

I flew over, gave the carrier a 1 - 2 punch, took my goodies and left.

I had checked their status while I was watching, all instant admirals with around 3000 accolade points.

Last edited by jake81499; 07-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 387
# 684
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake81499 View Post
There I was...............

I PuGed into a cure normal space.

I see four oddys but I say 'Hi' anyway.

No responce as usual.

(I could probably just copy and paste the first few lines of my tales of terror from my other tales of terror.)

Anyhow.........

I buzz on over to the right side and start killing nodes.

No help.

I look back and see all four oddys packed around the Kang blazing away with their technicolor rainbow beams set on stun.

I type, 'A little help please?'

Someone types, 'why? you're an escort, you should be able to do it all yourself.'

I'm like 'Hu?'

I shut down and parked. I was peeved.

I immediatly went off on their technicolor rainbow beams set on stun and weak blankidy blank oddys.

Then I turn around and killed everything but lost the optional by about 5 seconds.

Now for the fun part.

I parked again and watched them try to kill the carrier (or whatever it is).

They were begging me to help.

I say, 'Why? Your technicolor rainbow beams set on stun and super duper oddys should be able to handle it.'

Almost 30 minutes later I gor tired of watching and typed, 'lose the POS rainbow technicolor beams and build a REAL ship.'

Someone says 'FU'

I flew over, gave the carrier a 1 - 2 punch, took my goodies and left.

I had checked their status while I was watching, all instant admirals with around 3000 accolade points.
What else is new? Seriously, these care-bears with massive egos who think they're so awesome really get on my nerves.
When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 247
# 685 Another bad day.
07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
There I Was.................

Infected Space Elite.

I PuGed in and said 'Hi' as usual.

No responce as usual.

I see a Klink, something I couldn't identify but it was Fed an Escort and an oddy.

I type, '10% rule?'

The Escort says, 'F That'

I think 'Oh Goody'

We fly off and start shooting things.

The escort and oddy have technicolor rainbow beams, the klink has skittles.

I think 'Oh Goody'

The klink dies.

We all fly to the left, three ships are working on one node, I go to the other side of the gen and start working on one node and the klink goes to the gate and starts shooting away.

I think 'Oh Goody'

Pretty quick we are overwelmed by spheres.

I say, 'If you guys can keep the spheres away from the Gen I'll kill it.'

The Escort says 'F That'

I think 'Oh Goody'

I finally catch a break with the help of the ship I didn't identify and get the gen killed and we start working harder on the spheres.

20 minutes later, side two the same thing.

The Klink is still shooting the gate and by now he's died so many times he may as well not be in the game.

About two forevers go by and we finally kill the side 2 Gen.

Now the Cube has come into play.

It's getting agro from the Klink and he pulls it around into the gate.

I focused on the Cube, everyone else was shooting Gate and dying left and right.

I died a couple times too. (Darn It)

The Cube dies and when it went it took a good chunk out of the Gate so the rest was failrly easy.

The Klink then pipes up, 'if you noobes would have helped me kill the gate at the start this wouldn't have happened.'

I'm like, 'Hu?'

I said, 'Have you ever played ISE before or won an ISE optional?'

He said, 'He's been playing ISE for weeks and never won the optional because of noobes like you.'

I said, 'Ok, You're not going to win the next one either.'

I gathered my goodies and left.

Last edited by jake81499; 07-10-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 387
# 686
07-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake81499 View Post
There I Was.................

Infected Space Elite.

I PuGed in and said 'Hi' as usual.

No responce as usual.

I see a Klink, something I couldn't identify but it was Fed an Escort and an oddy.

I type, '10% rule?'

The Escort says, 'F That'

I think 'Oh Goody'

We fly off and start shooting things.

The escort and oddy have technicolor rainbow beams, the klink has skittles.

I think 'Oh Goody'

The klink dies.

We all fly to the left, three ships are working on one node, I go to the other side of the gen and start working on one node and the klink goes to the gate and starts shooting away.

I think 'Oh Goody'

Pretty quick we are overwelmed by spheres.

I say, 'If you guys can keep the spheres away from the Gen I'll kill it.'

The Escort says 'F That'

I think 'Oh Goody'

I finally catch a break with the help of the ship I didn't identify and get the gen killed and we start working harder on the spheres.

20 minutes later, side two the same thing.

The Klink is still shooting the gate and by now he's died so many times he may as well not be in the game.

About two forevers go by and we finally kill the side 2 Gen.

Now the Cube has come into play.

It's getting agro from the Klink and he pulls it around into the gate.

I focused on the Cube, everyone else was shooting Gate and dying left and right.

I died a couple times too. (Darn It)

The Cube dies and when it went it took a good chunk out of the Gate so the rest was failrly easy.

The Klink then pipes up, 'if you noobes would have helped me kill the gate at the start this wouldn't have happened.'

I'm like, 'Hu?'

I said, 'Have you ever played ISE before or won an ISE optional?'

He said, 'He's been playing ISE for weeks and never won the optional because of noobes like you.'

I said, 'Ok, You're not going to win the next one either.'

I gathered my goodies and left.
Hilarious dude
When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 234
# 687
07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
It wasn't the worst nor the weird neither. But I think it needs telling you.
KAGE. 3 people said Hi. 2 said nothing. After the secong mob, I realized one of them don't communicate in chat room. And he dies always. I mean when we are fighting ridiculous borg, he's the only one to die. We go to the first room. He stayed in the back and we 4 we fought we the mob. The second room. He came in and died. We deal with the mob without he. Step by step it was the same. He dies and we do the job. Finally we went to the last big room wth those 6 shield. We make clean the place. For B3, he died. For A3, B2,A2. At A2, I helped him to revive. While I helped he, Some borgs shoot me and I died when he revive and he let me there. He escaped to B1 and die to B1. I respawn and I said. Don't you know teamwork? Teammate helped you so you should help teammate. He answered me that he needs accolade. I said It's not a reason. He went into the tunnel and die. And he respawn... At the begining of the map. He asked us to help him to come to the last room. Someone said "No! Lets go!". Nobody said something. We kill the boss and his friends. We got our goodies and we let the guy trying to go to the room. I think he didn't get accolade nor goodies neither.
http://i.imgur.com/RVocq.jpg
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 658
# 688
07-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdrake View Post
It wasn't the worst nor the weird neither. But I think it needs telling you.
KAGE. 3 people said Hi. 2 said nothing. After the secong mob, I realized one of them don't communicate in chat room. And he dies always. I mean when we are fighting ridiculous borg, he's the only one to die. We go to the first room. He stayed in the back and we 4 we fought we the mob. The second room. He came in and died. We deal with the mob without he. Step by step it was the same. He dies and we do the job. Finally we went to the last big room wth those 6 shield. We make clean the place. For B3, he died. For A3, B2,A2. At A2, I helped him to revive. While I helped he, Some borgs shoot me and I died when he revive and he let me there. He escaped to B1 and die to B1. I respawn and I said. Don't you know teamwork? Teammate helped you so you should help teammate. He answered me that he needs accolade. I said It's not a reason. He went into the tunnel and die. And he respawn... At the begining of the map. He asked us to help him to come to the last room. Someone said "No! Lets go!". Nobody said something. We kill the boss and his friends. We got our goodies and we let the guy trying to go to the room. I think he didn't get accolade nor goodies neither.


Truly, a case of "Accolade Fixtation". Idk but going to KAGE for an accolade is a bit silly for a newer player. A normal is easily manageable for someone new to ground STFs and still gives the same accolade.

Bonus points for trying to coach him though
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,055
# 689
07-11-2012, 02:58 AM
now this is not the worst, but I found it rather strange (might be troll?).

ISE as usual, double loot wednesday, so usually there are more people. join in, say the usual hi, got 3 responses, which I take as a good sign (not all answer, while know the tactics, so I dont mind them). we finish the cube and spheres really quickly, move on to the left. one guy (who said hi, so I had high hopes about him ) goes right for a generator, and blows it by the time we finish the cube. I say, why would he do that (btw he was the classic case of defiant rainbow beamboat), he did not understand what I was talking about. now some spheres coming in, we kill the gens, I hold the spheres back with grav pulse and grav well. however I saw something strange, one sphere was going the other way. since there were a lot of them, I took that as I was mistaken, and destroyed the rest.

we go right and find one generator already popped. who was it? I have no idea. not our rainbow defiant hero, for sure. however he did continue, and go for the generator ignoring the cube. now the optional still was in the air, however with a group, that does not even know the basic 10% tactic (I do not even think there is a better one, not for pugs anyway), I could not ask to save the optional, because it would have required to not kill one generator, which was obviously an issue in their heads.

when we finally cleared the nanites, one guy was off in the distance fighting his sphere, while we tried to destroy the transformer. oviously we lacked dps, since the one ody in the distance did not help, neither did the beam defiant, and I had to concentrate on the nanites, and had to wait for the time when I can pop my gravity well in a place, where the cube wont be aggro'ed.

my precautions were stupid, since the first thing the ody did, when he gloriously defeated his sphere was to attack the tac cube, and our beam defiant hero went to help him, and when they were failing they obviously pulled the damned thing towards us. so I popped evasive and went in a way where I can still shoot at the gate, while the cube was shooting my shields down, so the gate could pick my 5% shield, and kill me with a 40k shot (and this happened to everyone). going back, our heroes go for the cube, fortunately it is behind the gate, so we can pick the gate apart, and then move to the cube, which was easy ofc.

now we did finish this in reasonable time, but what I still dont understand is the rainbow defiant. he was a 400 day veteran, and was still flying a beam escort, knows nothing about elites, and comes obviously for the double loot... was he trolling, or there are people, who still do not understand the game after a year?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
# 690
07-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Right, so looking this over I feel I need to put in my own two pence.

Now I'm an engineer, but NOT a tanking engineer. My Excelsior is designed to be a combat/support ship. I normally play with a tank in an Odyssey. Anywho, I like to torture myself and do PuG Elite STFs on occasion (greedy for chips and such.)

Now I need to explain this ship a bit more thoroughly before I get into this silly little tris. My ship is capable of dumping an incredible amount of firepower for an engineer, combined with manuverability I carved out a little niche in my fleet as the mid field player who can dart in and fill gaps with lotsa pretty crimson bolts of death. Mind you, I have absolutely no threat control, so any and all aggro I pull is because of the damage I'm dealing.

Now for the story.

So I jump into an Elite Khitomer and looking at the team, I'm the only engineer; everyone else is a tactical officer. Not a problem, I believe, they can/should be able to kill anything that looks at them sideways. Cool.

So after the first cube gets waxed I pull off, going my normal route to kill probes on one of the sides while the others kill the generators, transformers and such, and I will aide on my side when I can. Typical, normal everyday manuvers I've been doing since I joined my fleet.

Now, I'm already sitting in the probe lane, killing leisurely, when one of the players shows up, also in an Excelsior, his borg junk hanging all over, and starts attacking my probes. Me, I get a little annoyed, seeing as I figured being in one spot for over 3 minutes is long enough for people to establish that I'm doing something. This guy didn't believe so. So, I stop firing, turn, and attack the generators next to me, assuming since he jumped my spot he can handle it. Nope.

As I'm shooting up the generators, cube, then transformer I'm watching him as well, and seeing he's broadsiding the probes, and getting forced back further and further towards the gate the probes want to go through. When the transformer blows, I dart across infront of the destroyable gate, and kill a probe, thinking it might give him some breathing room to collect himself. Wrong again.

I start on the otherside of the gate, blow up the generators and such, and see his backs against the wall, and two probes make it past him. So I paddle over to him, destroy the four probes bearing down on him, then turn around and sit infront of the gate again.

This guy starts darting all over for a while, then settles down, seeing I haven't moved and am killing without an issue. So he sits above and behind me, shooting at my targets...again.

The gates are destroyed without any more issues and now it's time for Donatara...

Now I must reiterate that I'm an engineer, and not a tanking one. No threat control, just firepower, so I can only aggro through shooting something.

Now, Donatara shows up and immediately blows up one of the tac officers. I'm shooting at her by now and it was almost like she noticed me and went: YOU.

She proceeds to chase me around the map as I shoot back, vainly trying to get out of her sights. The other four are shooting on her, but for the life of them cannot pull aggro. So she blows me up and turns on the others.

This goes on for about 20 minutes. She pops one of them while I'm dead, then instantly turns on me, over and over. I stopped firing at her and just watched the dps they were doing out of curiosity. They were averaging 3-600 dps. My shots were doing 6-1200dps.

We finally managed to kill her after I figured out how to work my engines and get behind her. (BTW she has an incredible turn rate!)

I was extremely impressed with my ship, but also found it laughable that ONE engineer could do more damage than FOUR tac officers combined.
The only thing between you and the vacuum of space is six feet of solid style...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 AM.